Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Eigen D metronome controlling hardware looper via midi clock

Most Recent

written by: keyman

No problem, enjoy your "Eigen" world

Cheers

written by: markybuzz

Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:41:47 +0000 GMT

Hi All

I am attempting to integrate my Pico into a performance with other instruments by using Eigen D's metronome to provide a clock for a hardware looper pedal. The idea is to use the percussion library and looping feature of the Pico whilst having a midi clock sync'd outboard option for guitar, bass et al.

I am sure this is possible but I am a bit lost when it comes to midi. I would very much appreciate any advice or tips.

Many thanks in advance

Mark

Wed, 27 Feb 2013 23:27:39 +0000 GMT

Hi Mark,

Just checked with an old 505 laying around...

All the tools are there, EigenD outputs MIDI clock by default.
Only need is an MIDI interface

Open Eigenbrowser
Open STAGE (tab - MIDI)
MIDI output browse
choose your MIDI interface port (if more then one)

EigenD can also sync to MIDI CLOCK ( using STAGE tab MIDI you can enable to receive MIDI clock sync, then just select the apropriate MIDI input)

Hope this help!

Fri, 1 Mar 2013 13:00:06 +0000 GMT

Hi Keyman

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have been fighting with this for several days now.

The chain is

Macbook SSD and 8gb memory running eigen d
E mu x1x1 midi usb to dyn set up in audio midi window to link to....
Boomerang phrase sampler updated with latest firmware and Midi clock compatible.

Used stage to browse midi outs from eigen d and the boomerang looper is seen in the list.

enable clock via stage

Start metronome

At this point the drummer seems to be disabled. no percussion loops sound.

Despite seeing the boomerang in the midi out list in browser as an external device, the clock does not seem to input to the looper.

Doing some research... it seems that Macbooks with 2 usb ports on left side are renowned for low current output on one of the ports. I haven't tried both ports yet, or a powered hub, but that is the next step.

Is there a way to re enable the eigen d drum sounds as well as midi clock out? as this is part of my reason for the experiment.

Thanks again for any advice. This will be so worth it when it all works the way it should.

Mark

Fri, 1 Mar 2013 14:10:12 +0000 GMT

Hi Mark..
"...Macbooks with 2 usb ports on left side are renowned for low current output on one of the ports..."

Nothing to do about MIDI clock sync.

I mention the two scenarios and maybe confused you.

1- EigenD (Pico) is the MASTER CLOCK and then sends it thru your EMU to the looper
-EigenD outputs MIDI clock by default.
Open Eigenbrowser
Open STAGE (tab - MIDI)
MIDI output browse
choose your MIDI interface port... DONE!

2- EigenD (Pico) is SLAVE, and so it waits for MIDI clock to sync to!
(enabling MIDI clock IN - in STAGE)

So don't select this if you want MIDI clock OUT.

Cheers, and better luck this time...

Fri, 1 Mar 2013 21:51:52 +0000 GMT

Right.......

I have the sync working now. Thank you Keyman for your patience.

For reference, my mistake was to enable midi clock on the midi page in stage. As i read through this again that is exactly what you said!!!

Thanks mate, I owe you one.......

Mark

Fri, 1 Mar 2013 22:31:48 +0000 GMT

No problem, enjoy your "Eigen" world

Cheers

Please log in to join the discussions