Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Loop timings all over the place lately

Most Recent

written by: EdisonRex

Randy, I'm not sure, and had some further weirdness through today. After fixing one factory 3 setup (my Rainmaker performance from September) I tried to load the one I did from new years eve, it loaded pretty quick but was missing the recorders entirely (not even the buttons showed up) and the arranger was empty. after a couple of tries I just quit eigend and upon restarting it, the nye set loaded fine (I had to unplug the base station from usb to get the Alpha to light up again, but I'm getting used to that).

I am sure that when I loaded workbench, it fixed something. Rebooting did something too, but damned if I know.

You're coming to Asheville? Great! Looking forward to meeting you! I now have my micromac (arrived this week) and the Kenton interface in it is very tolerant of the Alpha's torrents of CCs so it'll be a nice svelte addition to the rig. I'm coming via Atlanta where I will fly into from Blighty. I'll have something new to play by May ^_^ well I better have.

-Paul

Sat, 23 Feb 2013 23:36:22 +0000 GMT

I am still working out what is going on with this so forgive me if I am a bit sparse.

In the past few versions, loops on my setups are not tracking well. it's not hard to describe what is happening, but it is hard for me to understand what is going on. That said, l can describe the phenomenon.

Anyway, this is using the factory setups. I first noticed it on factory 3, which I have used traditionally for a lot of, well, habitual reasons. But I switched to factory 1 and the same thing occurs.

I am using a lot of my own apple loops, but they used to keep time fine. And recorder loops should, I think, keep time anyway. But neither is managing lately, and it's bugging me.

The phenomenon is that starting play on the metronome and playing, that after one or two iterations of the core loop, some one of the recorder or apple loops starts playing out of time, usually early, which disimproves over subsequent loops. They don't obey tempo changes, especially. But it seems that there is no tempo that will keep them all playing together.

I have no idea what is going on. Looking at the workbench wiring, I don't see anything obviously missing. Of course I am not an expert at workbench yet, but I am getting there. But this seems really odd.

Any ideas where to look? The apple loops I could edit to be exact to some standard, but the recorder loops I can't do anything about. It is making a mess out of what I am trying to develop for performances.

-Paul

written by: MarkPowell

Sun, 24 Feb 2013 08:45:03 +0000 GMT

I get an odd problem with my home made Apple loops, but I'd assumed that I was doing something wrong. I have an eight bar loop in the drummer and the loop has an original tempo of 120bpm, the same as my setup. When I set the loop running, it'll get part way through and then a few beats into a bar will start from the beginning. As I say, I assumed it was something I was doing wrong, but it sounds similar to your problem.

Sun, 24 Feb 2013 13:59:51 +0000 GMT

Argh, so here it is, a new morning, I had done the mac java update so I rebooted the laptop, started eigend, loaded the same setup that was not working properly, verified it was still not working, then loaded workbench to go into the drummer rig to look closer.

And now after opening the drummer rig, it's working, in that the loops aren't skipping ahead. I think I'm going crazy or something.

But I notice that all of the "chop" parameters are set to 0. In the wiki it says they default to 10. But all are zero. Anyway I'm setting them to 10.

One thing I did do was move the tempo up to closer to the original tempo (108) as it was somehow saved a bit slower (103). But I would not have thought that would make much of a difference, but then again, with chop at zero, one wonders what a 16 bar sample, non drum, played as a loop in the drummer would actually do.

anyway, I don't know how I fixed it yet! But the loop has been running a half hour and not slipped. And last night it couldn't make a single iteration without skewing something. Sigh.

written by: carvingCode

Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:11:58 +0000 GMT

I wonder if saving the script, after you opened the Drummer, somehow replaced a corrupted file?

BTW: I'm coming to Asheville, NC in May for the electro-music fest. Looking forward to hearing you perform and chatting with you.

Randy

Sun, 24 Feb 2013 23:55:02 +0000 GMT

Randy, I'm not sure, and had some further weirdness through today. After fixing one factory 3 setup (my Rainmaker performance from September) I tried to load the one I did from new years eve, it loaded pretty quick but was missing the recorders entirely (not even the buttons showed up) and the arranger was empty. after a couple of tries I just quit eigend and upon restarting it, the nye set loaded fine (I had to unplug the base station from usb to get the Alpha to light up again, but I'm getting used to that).

I am sure that when I loaded workbench, it fixed something. Rebooting did something too, but damned if I know.

You're coming to Asheville? Great! Looking forward to meeting you! I now have my micromac (arrived this week) and the Kenton interface in it is very tolerant of the Alpha's torrents of CCs so it'll be a nice svelte addition to the rig. I'm coming via Atlanta where I will fly into from Blighty. I'll have something new to play by May ^_^ well I better have.

-Paul

Please log in to join the discussions