Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Cascading keygroups, and maintaining 'controller' info

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

Ok, checked the source code...

as far as i can tell, keygroups only use controller input for the course and column length ... to keep the physical and musical mapping in line with upstream changes.
But it does (obviously) send tonic, scale, octave downstream...

so basically, although cascading KGs receive their parents tonic,scale and octave they are therefore ignored.

Correct?

Personally, I think it would be nice fi they were like scaler, i.e. have an override, so can use parent, but this can be overridden.
(offsets might be nice too)

I also recognise this is not used in current factory setups, as they all set octave,tonic, scale on the specific keygroups.
therefore, to ensure backwards compatibilitym, the default the override would have to true. (rather than false as per scaler)

Fri, 22 Feb 2013 18:09:34 +0000 GMT

Hi,

I understand that controller input and output are supposed to contain octave, scale and tonic information.

but if i have a number of keygroups, and link the controller lines, i still don't get this information passed down and subsequently down to the rigs/scalers

the only way i can get this to work is if I link octave/scale/tonic across the keygroups, but id have thought this was unnecessary
(if not, why does keygroup have controller input, and what does it contain?)

you can see in my PicoMix setup this being done, between the main keygroup, and (for example) simple keygroup.
ive linked octave/tonic/scale as well as controller -> controller input,
but if you remove octave you will see it wont work

PicoMix on G+

thanks for the help, it will really help my understanding...

(someone mentioned something about marking the wire ct, but this didnt seem to help, but perhaps i didtnt do it all they way down the chain.. thought id check with you guys first!)

written by: geert

Sat, 23 Feb 2013 09:10:42 +0000 GMT

This depends on the scaler overriding the controller information or not, can you make sure that the override flag on your scalers is set appropriately?
http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Scaler/

Sat, 23 Feb 2013 14:23:31 +0000 GMT

checked that, no its not set on the scaler.

also, as mentioned, if i copy the octave,scale,tonic across to the downstream keygroup it works.

to be clear, the setup is like this

KG1->KG2->Scaler

KG1 = main keygroup, and is where e.g. octave is set.

controller wired from KG1 to KG2, controller line from KG2 to Scaler is wired.
does not work.

if i then wire octave, scale, tonic from KG1 to KG2, it works properly

i dont set any 'flags' on control lines, they are just wired up in WB by default wire from KG1 to KG2

Mon, 25 Feb 2013 18:07:24 +0000 GMT

Ok, checked the source code...

as far as i can tell, keygroups only use controller input for the course and column length ... to keep the physical and musical mapping in line with upstream changes.
But it does (obviously) send tonic, scale, octave downstream...

so basically, although cascading KGs receive their parents tonic,scale and octave they are therefore ignored.

Correct?

Personally, I think it would be nice fi they were like scaler, i.e. have an override, so can use parent, but this can be overridden.
(offsets might be nice too)

I also recognise this is not used in current factory setups, as they all set octave,tonic, scale on the specific keygroups.
therefore, to ensure backwards compatibilitym, the default the override would have to true. (rather than false as per scaler)

Please log in to join the discussions