Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: EigenD won't quit

Most Recent

written by: geert

Yes, very often it's the AU/VST plugins for the very simple reason that the plugin specifications are not well written enough. A lot of plugin authors just test in the popular hosts and whatever works in there should work elsewhere. Often this leads into problems on alternative hosts and many of them can never get it to fully stabilise since there's often no way to know what's going on. Randy, Camel Audio actually confirmed that Alchemy bug and should have fixed it in the latest version, it's not because other hosts work that there are no bugs.

bhinton, Bidule is a known problematic plugin since it increases the compatibility problems by adding another layer of hosting. I've had Bidule crash Logic, Reaper and Cubase many times.

So in the end, we did the best to make the plug in hosting as reliable as possible but it's an endless stream of new strange behaviour that takes an eternity to track down, with often not a real solution that can be found.

Note that we use Juce (http://juce.com) for the plugin hosting, which is the most popular open source solution for this. We've contributed back a large series of work arounds, but even in the smallest Juce-only host some problems still remain with certain AUs/VSTs. In the end we put the accent on making sure that the live-performance which using the plugins is as reliable as possible and did our best to make the shutdown as good as possible.

written by: MarkPowell

Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:31:37 +0000 GMT

I'm running the latest (2.0.74) version of EigenD Pro on OS X Mountain Lion and have had a problem for a while, which I wonder if anyone else is getting. If I take the factory setups and load them then all seems well, but if I then save them as a user setup, when I try to quit EigenD it just hangs and the CPU goes crazy. I can only get rid of EigenD by doing a Force Quit. It's not a show-stopper, but it's really irritating - is anyone else getting the same problem and, if so, is anyone aware of any way to avoid?

Cheers,
Mark.

written by: earthspot

Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:35:15 +0000 GMT

I too am running 2.0.74 (Pro) with Mountain Lion and can save user setups based on (Pico) Factory Setup 1. But now you come to mention it, I do recall having to Force Quit EigenD on one occasion. JOOTT, I thought. But maybe there's a bad agent in there that you're tweaking and I'm not...?

written by: jaself

Fri, 15 Feb 2013 22:44:57 +0000 GMT

Do you have sufficient RAM? How is your Mac's free memory when this happens?

My old laptop with 4GB runs EigenD just fine with the built-in instruments, but I started having this kind of problem with regular EigenD when I began including Kontakt in setups. Activity Monitor showed that free memory was exhausted.

written by: mikemilton

Sat, 16 Feb 2013 14:11:13 +0000 GMT

The only times I have to force quit EigenD is when an AU crashes (typically an NI AU)

written by: MarkPowell

Sun, 17 Feb 2013 23:54:48 +0000 GMT

@jaself - no problem on the RAM front. I've got 8GB and 4GB is uncommitted.

I've been experimenting this evening to try to get to the bottom of the problem. If I take Alpha Factory 1 and save as a user setup with the audio settings set to use my Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, it all works (and quits) fine. I do use a fair number of NI plugins (largely Kontakt, FM8 and Massive, plus Guitar Rig for effects), so given Mike's comment about NI AU's I'll do a bit more digging and see if that's the problem.

The other thing that did seem peculiar is, when the lockup occurs, I also get a lot of network reads/writes; killing EigenD gets rid of these. Is there any automated bug reporting that might be kicking in?

Thanks,
Mark.

written by: bhinton

Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:51:27 +0000 GMT

I've always had to force quite Eigen D on my macbook pro - every OS version, every eigenD pro version, every time. I've always put it down to the AUs I use (usually bidule, usually running multiple instances of Zebra/Zebrify and Pianoteq, occasionally Octopus - and usually with lots of midi and OSC stuff going on). Closing AU windows before quit doesn't help. So I just force quit it and don't think about it anymore.

Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:52:37 +0000 GMT

Oh - and this is on two different macbook pros, (quad i7, dual i7), with 8 and 16 GB RAM, respectively, and nothing else running. So again, I just ignore it.

written by: carvingCode

Wed, 27 Feb 2013 22:05:31 +0000 GMT

Have had the same issue for many versions of EIgenD. Geert analyzed some bug reports I sent in and pointed to Alchemy as the cause. I'm sure there may be/have been a problem with Alchemy, but no other AU hosts I use behave the way EigenD does (won't quit).

Wed, 27 Feb 2013 22:14:52 +0000 GMT

I've always had to force quite Eigen D on my macbook pro - every OS version, every eigenD pro version, every time. I've always put it down to the AUs I use (usually bidule, usually running multiple instances of Zebra/Zebrify and Pianoteq, occasionally Octopus - and usually with lots of midi and OSC stuff going on). Closing AU windows before quit doesn't help. So I just force quit it and don't think about it anymore.

written by: geert

Thu, 28 Feb 2013 07:40:01 +0000 GMT

Yes, very often it's the AU/VST plugins for the very simple reason that the plugin specifications are not well written enough. A lot of plugin authors just test in the popular hosts and whatever works in there should work elsewhere. Often this leads into problems on alternative hosts and many of them can never get it to fully stabilise since there's often no way to know what's going on. Randy, Camel Audio actually confirmed that Alchemy bug and should have fixed it in the latest version, it's not because other hosts work that there are no bugs.

bhinton, Bidule is a known problematic plugin since it increases the compatibility problems by adding another layer of hosting. I've had Bidule crash Logic, Reaper and Cubase many times.

So in the end, we did the best to make the plug in hosting as reliable as possible but it's an endless stream of new strange behaviour that takes an eternity to track down, with often not a real solution that can be found.

Note that we use Juce (http://juce.com) for the plugin hosting, which is the most popular open source solution for this. We've contributed back a large series of work arounds, but even in the smallest Juce-only host some problems still remain with certain AUs/VSTs. In the end we put the accent on making sure that the live-performance which using the plugins is as reliable as possible and did our best to make the shutdown as good as possible.

Please log in to join the discussions