Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Just got my Pico and have a whole bunch of issues! Plus I'd like to say hello!

Most Recent

written by: unkiedave

Just to add my 2 cents, I'm also running the Pico on the latest Snow Leopard build (10.6.2) and am experiencing the switching off thing quite a lot. I initially thought it was a loose usb connection at first but that really doesn't seem to be the problem, basically same issue as Gaz, the pico either goes completely dead (all lights switch off, no functions accessible), or less often just freezes with whatever functions are active still accessible (ie current instrument can still be played), but no new function can be accessed and the metronome and main Mode key buttons are non-responsive. In either case the only way to restore functions is to quit out of the EigenD application and relaunch.

also, since I'm posting, I find there is a lot of distortion on bass sounds when the cello or clarinet is played with any other sound, including drummer voices - by itself either is nice and clear but they get really fuzzy with any drum loops, even at low volume. Tried this with two firewire sound cards (M-Audio & Alesis) and had the same issue.

Going to add my +1 to the whole UI conversation as well, definitely feel it needs a bit of work.

With all that in mind, I still have to say I'm loving the Pico, I haven't had this much fun with an instrument since the Tenori-On. I'm sure all these bugs will get ironed out and what I've seen on the forum so far of the responses from Eignlabs and the level of customer service really impresses me.

Dave

written by: gazgoldstar

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 23:09:44 +0000 GMT

Hello everyone, my name is Gaz and I am a musician based in Bristol. I have just received my Pico today and have been investigating it thoroughly this evening.

Firstly, I would like to congratulate Eigenlabs for bringing really innovative new instruments to the market place. A great expense of time and energy has gone into this so thank you for all the hard work so far!

Secondly, I would like to thank John personally for his dedication to his vision. I believe now its out in the open, the interesting stuff can start to happen. I had the great fortune to chat to John last week and found him to be extremely honest and very, very easy to talk openly with. I think with plenty of user cooperation and healthy relations with the makers, we can make these instruments reach their potential.

Ok! So what did I make of my first few hours with the Pico?

Bewildering I would have to say. Unfortunately I was faced with a bunch of gripes (sic).

My first gripe was with the length of the included neck strap. It is too short for me! I found that it puts the breath controller too much in my face and I find it a bit irritating. It is down to me having quite a thick neck as it is perfect for my girlfriend but it is a bit of a shame it can't be adjusted for someone of my size.

My second gripe was with the cello which was one of the reasons I bought it in the first place. I want to be able to smoothly bow it like you can in real life but when I try to do it on the Pico, it re triggers the note on my return stroke. For instance, if I play a note and drag downward on the strip, the note plays now I want to sustain that note when I drag back upwards but the sound retriggers its attack and means I get a broken sustain. Very annoying. Is this an easy fix? Would be great if it could or am I missing something?

My third gripe (which has just happened again!) is that my Pico turns off for some strange reason. I can only get it back if I reload the software which takes a while to do. This is really irritating and I am not sure why it is doing it. Is it something to to do with my Macbook Pro's energy saving?

Fourth gripe: Browser keys! Say no more......

Ok, you get the picture. I am not entirely a happy bunny at this point in time but, I have seen the light with this instrument (and I don't care what some pompous idiot on Gearslutz says this IS an instrument and not just a controller) and can see how it will be awesome in the future...

Right. What am I suggesting that could improve matters then?

1.I think that the mode keys could be flipped around. I think that the main mode key would be better if it was the bottom right key. That way you could trigger it with your little finger and easily see all the keys. As it is now, when you press the main mode key your hand partially blocks the view. Also I think that your little finger can easily hit that key and all your fingers would be better laid out to press the next buttons. What do you folks think?

2. I don't like the octave up/down buttons one bit. For a start I think the colours of the led's should change to reflect what octave you are in. For instance both orange means middle, right green down one octave, right red down two octaves, both red down three octaves, Left green up one octave, left red up two, both green up three. I think that would really help you know where you are. Saying that though, I propose two different approaches for octave transposition. Ideas A + B. Also following on from the previous point this would mean that they would be the top mode keys.

A:Using the breath controller. The harder you blow the higher the octave. Much like a real wind instrument. I think it could be possible to have three octaves available this way and still retain enough dynamic control. Also I think it would be really good fun going red in the face trying to reach those high notes. I am sure this would add to the performance value of the instrument.

B:Using the strip controller. I think with certain instruments swift octave changes could happen with the strip control. Roughly divide the strip into three regions and it would be quick to touch the region for the octave change. I also think this could be a good way for tonic changes although it would take some practise to get accurate.

3.The bottom two keys currently used as scroll keys. As mentioned in other threads, these don't seem to work very well for the purpose of browsing, why not make one a pitch bend and the other a mod wheel? Or make one a latching sustain and the other a gate sustain. That would be great on the piano and probably a bit more intuitive than the breath sustain. I can see how they affect the fingering if they were pitched notes so I think looking for creative expression purposes makes sense.

John, I wonder how easy it is to implement the above changes? Whether a factory setup 2 could be made with just a few tweaks? I am intrigued about this because I think the success of this instrument lies with how easily it can be modded.

I am convinced that the future for the Pico, Alpha and Eigenlabs is very rosy indeed and I am glad and excited to be along for the ride!

So, thanks to anyone who has made it this far and I look forward to reading any responses.

All the best,

Gaz

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 00:42:31 +0000 GMT

Frustrated with the way the browser keys worked I decided to install the EigenD software on my studio machine to see if it would make a difference. It occured to me earlier that my Macbook Pro laptop is running the latest Snow Leopard OS whereas my Mac Pro desktop was still running plain old Leopard. A different machine running a different OS is a good way to determine if the problem is machine specific or if there is a problem in the software that needs addressing. My guess is that there is a big issue that Eigenlabs need to address. Has anyone from Eigenlabs admitted that the browser currently doesn't work? Have any users found it to work flawlessly?

I tried following the tutorial videos a few moments ago and on both machines I simply was unable to select the Gypsy scale during the scale select bit. It would go up and down erratically and try as I might I could not get it to select the bloody thing. Is this behaviour under going immediate attention? It virtually cripples large amounts of the usefulness of the Pico if not.

Help!

written by: scrussey

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:55:07 +0000 GMT

hi Gaz

agree with you about the cello... in fact the strip isn't long enough to get accurate bow sounds... I suspect the Alpha is better for this

I'm sure most of the problems (apart from the neckstrap) will be ironed out when we are able to customise & hone our perfect set ups... I believe new software is coming after christmas

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:10:48 +0000 GMT

Yeah, I agree plus neck strap isn't too much of a problem, more of an observation really.

There is one change to the software that I would love to see implemented as soon as possible though, and that is when you change tonic (key) or scale it should instantly revert back to the sound you were just playing. This is the near deal breaker for me. I think as you hold the mode key down to choose key and then select the new key it should automatically jump back to the sound. I want to be able to change key and scale on the fly, really quick and in some cases midway through a phrase.

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:27:37 +0000 GMT

And another thing............

Gosh this thread is turning into a bit of a whingethon!

I am having trouble playing my AU plugs. Omnisphere and Pianoteq are breaking up quite badly and I am not sure why. I have tried it with my built in sound card, with my Traveler (which incidentally didn't work at all with v1.0 but does with 1.01) and with my Novation Xstation.

I have tried it on my Macbook Pro (4gig 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo) plus on my Mac Pro (4 gig xeon 8 core 2.8 ghz) and it exhibits the same behaviour. I am aware that these particular plugs are quite juicy in their requirements but I can run several instances of them inside a host with no problems whatsoever. What is going on? Is it a bug or is the EigenD software so system heavy that even my 8 core Mac Pro can't run it plus Pianoteq?

written by: clausd

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:22:24 +0000 GMT

Really thoughtful suggestions in your first post I think wrt bowing and key configuration

written by: scrussey

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:59:02 +0000 GMT

blimey you got Omnisphere to work? It didn't do anything at all when I tried... I'll try again

written by: aaronw

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:07:43 +0000 GMT

Hi Gaz,

Thanks for all your comments and our software team are already working on many of them.

We have taken onboard your suggestions about the octave and mode keys and will certainly look into it further.

We are currently working on the issue of the Eigenharp Pico switching off and should have more information soon.

In the next update we have improved the scroll keys - I think you will see a huge difference in their controllability.

Have you experimented with using a combination of the breath pipe and strip controller with the cello sample? It takes some practice but I'm sure you will have good results.

I hope that answers your immediate questions, do let us know if you have any more problems.

Aaron Whitfield
Customer Services

written by: unkiedave

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:59:02 +0000 GMT

Just to add my 2 cents, I'm also running the Pico on the latest Snow Leopard build (10.6.2) and am experiencing the switching off thing quite a lot. I initially thought it was a loose usb connection at first but that really doesn't seem to be the problem, basically same issue as Gaz, the pico either goes completely dead (all lights switch off, no functions accessible), or less often just freezes with whatever functions are active still accessible (ie current instrument can still be played), but no new function can be accessed and the metronome and main Mode key buttons are non-responsive. In either case the only way to restore functions is to quit out of the EigenD application and relaunch.

also, since I'm posting, I find there is a lot of distortion on bass sounds when the cello or clarinet is played with any other sound, including drummer voices - by itself either is nice and clear but they get really fuzzy with any drum loops, even at low volume. Tried this with two firewire sound cards (M-Audio & Alesis) and had the same issue.

Going to add my +1 to the whole UI conversation as well, definitely feel it needs a bit of work.

With all that in mind, I still have to say I'm loving the Pico, I haven't had this much fun with an instrument since the Tenori-On. I'm sure all these bugs will get ironed out and what I've seen on the forum so far of the responses from Eignlabs and the level of customer service really impresses me.

Dave

Please log in to join the discussions