Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: My pico dream

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

EigenD runs on macOS/Windows/Linux only. not iOS.
so you cannot connect your eigenharp directly to an iPad/iPhone.

The reference to the iOS application is for Stage.
Stage allows you to control various parameters of EigenD (running on your computer) from you iPhone/iPad, but you still need EigenD running on your computer to connect your Eigenharp too.

http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Stage/

I'm not sure if Stage, is currently available on the App Store, I cannot find it either (in Spain).

written by: natcl

Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:23:55 +0000 GMT

I just started using the Pico again after 2 years of inactivity.
The main reason is that I started playing around with all the new iPad synths and they work great with the Pico.

My ultimate fantasy would be some kind of base station for the pico. You would plug the pico in it, it would power the pico and act as an hardware pico-to-midi converter that would be class compliant so it could be hooked to the iPad. I have high doubts that this will ever happen but that for me would make the Pico much more practical.

I'm also wondering if this would be possible using something like a Raspberry pi. I know EigenD can work under linux, perhaps it could compile on the arm platform and we could run a midi only setup from there. No idea if it would be powerful enough.

Fri, 1 Feb 2013 16:01:13 +0000 GMT

This would rather depend on if eigenlabs was willing to port eigenD to linux,
or if the libpico source will move to open source within the Eigen foundation.

the eigen foundation post said all of the eigend software would be transferred, but it could be the 'drivers' are considerd as containing hardware intellectual property.
perhaps john could comment?

Fri, 1 Feb 2013 17:05:04 +0000 GMT

Ah I thought that the pico driver was also open....

Fri, 1 Feb 2013 17:14:19 +0000 GMT

Would the binary driver also work on an arm architecture or just x86 ?

Fri, 1 Feb 2013 17:15:00 +0000 GMT

Would the binary driver also work on an arm architecture or just x86 ?

written by: john

Fri, 1 Feb 2013 17:31:10 +0000 GMT

It is not yet certain whether or not the Pico library will be given to the trust as it's got some code in that is subject to the main Eigenharp patent and is therefore both unsuitable for GPLv3 and also key to the functioning of the instruments (in the other instruments that DSP is implemented directly in hardware in FPGA's).

It doesn't actually matter that much as the Pico library is there for Linux anyway in the main github repo, in both binary 32 and 64 bit versions. It's tested and works, so you can just link it into your Linux EigenD with no problems and you will have full Pico support. We provided it that way for this very reason.

The main issue with a Linux port is the USB driver, as all that changed several years ago and we've never had the time to bring EigenD up to date with the USB subsystem changes. EigenD was actually native on Linux for a long time, and it's probably not much work to get it all working again - we're still using an EigenD 1.X version thatruns on Linux when we calibrate instruments after we make them.

I've just had a conversation with Jim and he told me that he's done most of the work to get USB working on Linux already, based on libusbx. He was doing it when playing with his Android port, and he's said he'lltry and merge that work in soon. It needs bulk USB support adding, but he reckons that's quite easy now he's got the ISO pipes working. after that you pretty much should have a Linux EigenD. It'll be missing a few bells and whistles but given that JUCE supports Linux just fine should be close enough to get going. If you want to have a go, please go ahead and we'll try to help where we can - if you want to work with the full EigenD and have signed a contributor agreement that's also cool in advance of the Trust being established, you just need to do an NDA with Eigenlabs not to dislose the full code befpore that happens. Contract me direct if you'd like to do that.

I'd love someone to have a go at this - it's probably not much more than a few days work and would be a very cool addition to our world.

John

Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:28:32 +0000 GMT

Seems like there is some timezone problems as my answers are appearing in the past...

written by: john

Fri, 1 Feb 2013 19:41:45 +0000 GMT

At the moment it's x86, but we could probably build one for ARM if there's a genuine need. I don't really want to go to the trouble unless someone is seriously going to do some work on this though. We will support a genuine effort though. If you want us to do that please get in touch directly and we'll take a look at it.

John

Mon, 4 Feb 2013 15:16:07 +0000 GMT

Another question is, would a slower computer (like the raspberry pi) be able to handle the data from the pico ? I wouldn't expect it to do any synthesis, but would it be fast enough to handle midi data ?

written by: emf1123

Thu, 3 Oct 2013 20:19:00 +0100 BST

Can the pico driver and eigenD be built on iOS, with the pico attached via the CCK? That seems a lot more powerful than a Raspberry Pi. (it might also be a good way for the Foundation to get some renwed visibility...) there are tons of excellent synths on iOS. Together, they'd make a hell of a duo.

written by: carvingCode

Thu, 3 Oct 2013 20:26:28 +0100 BST

You can use any iOS synth that supports MIDI in with any Eigenharp.

Thu, 3 Oct 2013 20:33:28 +0100 BST

You can't plug the pico in an ios device though, you need a computer to make the midi bridge...

written by: Enkerli

Fri, 9 Jun 2017 04:47:26 +0100 BST

You can't plug the pico in an ios device though, you need a computer to make the midi bridge...

Is that still the case? Quite confused about this as the main site says something about EigenD for iOS but that app isn’t on the (Canadian) App Store.

Fri, 9 Jun 2017 14:20:37 +0100 BST

EigenD runs on macOS/Windows/Linux only. not iOS.
so you cannot connect your eigenharp directly to an iPad/iPhone.

The reference to the iOS application is for Stage.
Stage allows you to control various parameters of EigenD (running on your computer) from you iPhone/iPad, but you still need EigenD running on your computer to connect your Eigenharp too.

http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Stage/

I'm not sure if Stage, is currently available on the App Store, I cannot find it either (in Spain).

Please log in to join the discussions