Forum rss-feed

Forum

Developers: Pre-requisites for coding on Mountain Lion?

Most Recent

written by: MarkPowell

That sorted it - looks like we have a fully functional Death Star. Thanks for letting me know how to fix that last bit.

Cheers,
Mark.

Sun, 27 Jan 2013 16:52:07 +0000 GMT

Hi all,
A while ago, when still running Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro, I setup Xcode to have a play with the EigenD source, but never really got anywhere. I recall that, at the time, there was a lot off messing to get it to play nicely with Xcode 4, with me having to install Xcode 3 first and do a lot of messing with file links.

I'm now running Mountain Lion. If I wanted to start playing again under ML, would I have the same problem, or does the current EigenD source play nicely 'out of the box' with XCode 4? I tried installing XCode 3 the other day and it completely wrecked the machine - I had to go back to TimeMachine backups to get it to boot again.

Cheers,
Mark.

written by: geert

Sun, 27 Jan 2013 18:28:47 +0000 GMT

Hi Marc,

EigenD 2 and later should compile just fine with the latest Xcode on Mountain Lion. Xcode 3 was required for EigenD 1.

HTH,

Geert

Sun, 27 Jan 2013 20:21:19 +0000 GMT

Brilliant! That's what I was hoping you'd say. Thanks as always Geert.

Cheers,
Mark.

Sat, 2 Feb 2013 09:58:37 +0000 GMT

Well, I've installed xcode and got the code from GitHub, plus put the Steinberg headers into a 'steinberg' sub-folder with the main EigenD source folder, but I'm getting an error when I run make. The EigenD folder is in '/Volumes/Data HDD/users/markpowell/Documents/EigenDSource/' (in an EigenD sub-folder), but when I run make I get the following:

scons: Reading SConscript files ...

/usr/pi/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file '/Volumes/Data': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
ValueError: need more than 1 value to unpack:
File "/Volumes/Data HDD/users/markpowell/Documents/EigenDSource/EigenD/tools/SConstruct", line 29:
master_env = select_tools.select()
File "/Volumes/Data HDD/users/markpowell/Documents/EigenDSource/EigenD/tools/select_tools.py", line 87:
return globals()[sys.platform]()
File "/Volumes/Data HDD/users/markpowell/Documents/EigenDSource/EigenD/tools/select_tools.py", line 73:
return globals()[p]()
File "/Volumes/Data HDD/users/markpowell/Documents/EigenDSource/EigenD/tools/select_tools.py", line 51:
env = darwin_tools.PiDarwinEnvironment('macosx-i386')
File "/Volumes/Data HDD/users/markpowell/Documents/EigenDSource/EigenD/tools/darwin_tools.py", line 111:
unix_tools.PiUnixEnvironment.__init__(self,platform,'usr/pi','Library/Eigenlabs',python='/usr/pi/bin/python')
File "/Volumes/Data HDD/users/markpowell/Documents/EigenDSource/EigenD/tools/unix_tools.py", line 28:
generic_tools.PiGenericEnvironment.__init__(self,platform,install_prefix,userdir_suffix,python)
File "/Volumes/Data HDD/users/markpowell/Documents/EigenDSource/EigenD/tools/generic_tools.py", line 255:
self.__getpython()
File "/Volumes/Data HDD/users/markpowell/Documents/EigenDSource/EigenD/tools/generic_tools.py", line 183:
(exe,incpath,libpath,libs,linkextra,prefix) = [s.strip() for s in status.split(';')]
make: *** [all] Error 2

Looking at the first line as a complete layman, it looks like it's tripping up because I've got a space in my drive name ('Data HDD'). Is that the case, or is that a red herring?

Thanks,
Mark.

Sat, 2 Feb 2013 10:11:37 +0000 GMT

I tried renaming the drive and it then threw an error on permissions to the /usr/local/include folder. Checked that and sure enough my normal account didn't have access. I've granted permissions and it seems to be building now.

Is the space in the drive name something that I should expect to occur or is this a bug in the build scripts?

Sat, 2 Feb 2013 18:36:55 +0000 GMT

Almost there - I had another error regarding missing header files, but this turned out to be down to the XCode command line tools not being installed by default when installing XCode4 from the App Store (Prefs/Downloads/Install from within XCode sorted this). I've put the source onto an external hard drive to avoid renaming my main drive and screwing other things up. It now appears to build and then, right at the end, throws the following error:

scons: Reading SConscript files ...

platform: macosx-i386 python: /usr/pi/bin/python
clearing /Volumes/BACKUPS/EigenDSource/EigenD/tmp/stage
clearing /Volumes/BACKUPS/EigenDSource/EigenD/tmp/pkg
building release 2.0.74-stable compatible with 2.0-stable
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
tags (ctags)
ctags: illegal option -- -
usage: ctags [-BFadtuwvx] [-f tagsfile] file ...
scons: *** [tags] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.
make: *** [all] Error 2

As far as I can tell it's built everything, so can anyone give me a clue as to what this final glitch is please?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Mark.

written by: NothanUmber

Sat, 2 Feb 2013 19:57:48 +0000 GMT

Presumably you don't have the GNU version of ctags.
Geert posted about it in this thread:
http://www.eigenlabs.com/forum/threads/id/772/?page=1#snap_post5635

Sun, 3 Feb 2013 00:16:34 +0000 GMT

That sorted it - looks like we have a fully functional Death Star. Thanks for letting me know how to fix that last bit.

Cheers,
Mark.

Please log in to join the discussions