Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: AudioUnit or VST for mac?

Most Recent

written by: bhinton

This is odd. Subjectively, it always SEEMED I got better performance from AUs (in Live and Bidule at least). VST versions of the same plugs sometimes crashed and seemed more prone to an old bug (haven't seen it in years) where live midi input to Live would suddenly delay. I also used some plugs that were AU only for years so got in the habit of using AU versions of everything - will have to do some testing if VST's really have any advantage. Easy enough to set BIdule up inside live and host both an AU and VST of the same plug with a switch to go back and forth and check response...

written by: TheTechnobear

Wed, 16 Jan 2013 18:21:05 +0000 GMT

When a plugin offers both AU and VST, which is preferable?

Ive been playing with Arturio Jupiter-8V, and TAL U NO LX v2 (juno emu), both of which are very nice, but they both have an issue, if you install both the VST and AU.
The reason being, is that the VST & AU have the same packaged classes (i know bad practice!),
so when EigenD loads them, it randomly chooses which... this then leads to a problem of getting blank AU GUI when hide/show. Or at least thats what it looks like to me given the logs and the fact that when I remove the VST all is okay.

So, I guess, I should just remove the one I dont use, so hence the question, is either VST or AU preferable if they supply both?

Also, a small change request :)
In eigenbrowser, can you please include the rig name when browsing, i couldnt understand why it kept saying browsing audio unit 1, when I was selecting the second AU....
then i checked in WB and found all audio units, in the 4AU/4MIDI setup, are called AU1... just they are in a different rig. Of course, i can rename them, but i guess really eigenbrowser should be using a FQN.

cheers
Mark

written by: mikemilton

Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:16:21 +0000 GMT

I've never noticed any difference but your question prompted me to search (thanks).

You might find this interesting (read to the and finally bit in the first post)

http://www.analogindustries.com/blog/entry.php?blogid=1297794073728

written by: mikemilton

Wed, 16 Jan 2013 19:53:19 +0000 GMT

Here is a clicable link for the copy and past challanged

written by: TheTechnobear

Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:14:00 +0000 GMT

thanks, I guess I'll stick with VSTs then. assuming it was the AU/VSTclash and not just the VST :)

written by: bhinton

Sat, 19 Jan 2013 21:50:46 +0000 GMT

This is odd. Subjectively, it always SEEMED I got better performance from AUs (in Live and Bidule at least). VST versions of the same plugs sometimes crashed and seemed more prone to an old bug (haven't seen it in years) where live midi input to Live would suddenly delay. I also used some plugs that were AU only for years so got in the habit of using AU versions of everything - will have to do some testing if VST's really have any advantage. Easy enough to set BIdule up inside live and host both an AU and VST of the same plug with a switch to go back and forth and check response...

Please log in to join the discussions