Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Slide controller uncomfortable friction

Most Recent

written by: vanMeerdervoort

Okay, I will try that today, see if it works! @ John, silicon treatment might indeed work, although It feels somewhat scary too ;) I would not want to mess it up hehe, silicon is hard to get rid of if it reaches the wrong places.

Anyway thanks for the tips!

Vincent

Mon, 14 Jan 2013 19:18:08 +0000 GMT

Hi,

I've been playing around with the slide controllers and it might be me doing something wrong...But I have to press down quite hard to get the sliders to react. I experience quite a lot of friction sliding my fingers over the leather surface, up to the point that it becomes really uncomfortable.

Is it possible to have the leather replaced with -for instance- metal? My EWI2000s has metal sliding strips which are wonderful to touch and don't cause friction at all.

Or am I indeed doing something wrong?

thanks,

Vincent

written by: NothanUmber

Mon, 14 Jan 2013 20:09:15 +0000 GMT

It shouldn't be "uncomfortable" but with my Eigenharps I also definitely have to press the touch strips down harder than e.g. the dedicated Doepfer ribbon. Got used to it though.

Greetings,
NothanUmber

written by: john

Mon, 14 Jan 2013 22:20:23 +0000 GMT

Hi Vincent

The active region on the Alpha is quite narrow, in the middle of the side. You do have to press firmly, but if you position your finger accurately then it's not excessive. Most people struggle with this to start with as they implicitly assume that the whole width is active, which it isn't, and that the sensitivity is the same all the way across, which it isn't either.

It's not inconceivable to replace the leather with something else (though this is quite a tricky operation, probably the most fiddly in the whole manufacturing of an Alpha in fact) but we never found a good alternative. The one thing that worked well was ultra thin PTFE, but sadly that's an exceptionally ugly semi translucent brown (and cannot be coloured) as well as near impossible to bond properly, so we gave up on that in the end.

Just writing this I'm wondering if there's a silicone based leather treatment that might make it more slippy. Perhaps someone should have a try - I know that silicones get used in leather treatment and there's no particular reason they should degrade the sensor underneath.

John

written by: geert

Mon, 14 Jan 2013 23:03:06 +0000 GMT

Just following up on what John said, to make sure that I hit the active region, I actually put my whole first phalange on the strip and not my fingertip. This allows for quite subtle touch, not at subtle as the Pico but it only gets uncomfortable after a few hours of playing.

Sun, 20 Jan 2013 09:34:53 +0000 GMT

Okay, I will try that today, see if it works! @ John, silicon treatment might indeed work, although It feels somewhat scary too ;) I would not want to mess it up hehe, silicon is hard to get rid of if it reaches the wrong places.

Anyway thanks for the tips!

Vincent

Please log in to join the discussions