Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Open source the software!

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

Open-sourcing EigenD allows Eigenlabs to continue with those major things and continue heading towards their goals for the software, while allowing other developers to try experimenting in different directions for things. Of course, Eigenlabs could later absorb some of the 'other directions' into the mainstream. Regardless, I believe that everyone benefits if EigenD is open-sourced

Agreed, completely - HUA

m

written by: Tenebrous

Sun, 9 May 2010 10:28:19 +0100 BST

+1 :)

Sun, 9 May 2010 12:00:24 +0100 BST

+1 / -1 I certainly support the interests and directions of people who want to go the max direction, and I also want to be better able to weave the eigenharp with other things.

That said, the last two posts make another point with which I disagree. The evolution of Belcanto is just as (if not more) important to me.

I see the eigenharp platform (instruments, software, and other things) as something that needs to (and is) solidifying and growing. Solutions for interacting with other hw/sw is an important direction but only one component of evolution.

So, to be clear, I think I am a great fan of the eigenlabs hardware and what has been stated as the goal of the software. If I am frustrated, it comes from the anticipation of implementing that goal; not with the direction. I'm not usually this trusting but then, eigenlabs has been unusually open, responsive and shown real progress.

written by: Tenebrous

Sun, 9 May 2010 19:13:09 +0100 BST

@mikemilton - Open-sourcing EigenD allows Eigenlabs to continue with those major things and continue heading towards their goals for the software, while allowing other developers to try experimenting in different directions for things. Of course, Eigenlabs could later absorb some of the 'other directions' into the mainstream. Regardless, I believe that everyone benefits if EigenD is open-sourced (assuming the patent issues etc are sorted out, of course!).

I totally agree with you on the openness & responsiveness. It's unusual, and very very welcome. I've ordered an Alpha because of this. I don't actually have a Mac. So either I totally trust Eigenlabs' commitment (at least their commitment to try) or I'm crazy. Well... don't answer that :)

This isn't a plea to Eigenlabs to open-source it ASAP. I'd much rather they ironed out the current bugs in EigenD and got the Windows version out.

Sun, 9 May 2010 15:33:49 +0100 BST

Open-sourcing EigenD allows Eigenlabs to continue with those major things and continue heading towards their goals for the software, while allowing other developers to try experimenting in different directions for things. Of course, Eigenlabs could later absorb some of the 'other directions' into the mainstream. Regardless, I believe that everyone benefits if EigenD is open-sourced

Agreed, completely - HUA

m

Please log in to join the discussions