Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Important Announcement from Eigenlabs

Most Recent

written by: cellular_model

John

Thank you very much for your response.

I guess, it's just those ten thousands hours of practice that are missing.

Regards,
Oleg.

written by: BobThDog

Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:12:51 +0000 GMT

Hi John and Mark,

Thanks very much for the answers.

I will look at trying to put together a lightweight EigenD setup, can someone point me towards some documentation of how to do this as the software confuses the hell out of me?

Many thanks

Andy

written by: NothanUmber

Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:32:00 +0000 GMT

The best source is probably the Eigenlabs wiki on this site and the G+ community.
How should your setup look like?

Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:54:00 +0000 GMT

BobThDog said:
I will look at trying to put together a lightweight EigenD setup, can someone point me towards some documentation of how to do this

Go to the list of experimental setups and start with the midi basic setup.

If you have tau or alpha you can get rid of the keys dedicated to CCs with the help of workbench.

Thu, 19 Dec 2013 11:32:56 +0000 GMT

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the answers.

I have looked at the wiki, does;t seem to help me much I can see no way I can create setups!

I also looked at the Experimental setups and can not find anything to download.

I am on version 1, is it possible to even create setups?

Thanks

Andy

written by: TheTechnobear

Thu, 19 Dec 2013 11:59:11 +0000 GMT

>I am on version 1, is it possible to even create setups?

yes, its possible, but the reality is that anyone that has invested enough time to learn to do so, will have moved on to version 2.

there are many reasons to upgrade, but the related one is that development of customs setups much improved - belcanto the scripting language was improved, better support in the agents and also workbench (for those with pro).

id say upgrade to EigenD 2.0, for standard for 6 months, is 49 GBP, less than a VST - then others may be able to help you.

Thu, 19 Dec 2013 12:02:58 +0000 GMT

Hi,

Ok thanks.

Unfortunately I am unwilling to pay to upgrade when I think the version I have should enable me to do these things.

Cut my nose of to spite my face sort off thing.

Never mind, maybe it is time to sell it.

Thanks for the help anyway.

All the best

Andy

written by: GoneCaving

Thu, 19 Dec 2013 12:17:08 +0000 GMT

Randy, I thought I had the renewal checked but it never renewed. I've just renewed mine sub for another 12 months. I would strongly encourage anyone on version 1 to upgrade to version 2. You don't necessarily have to opt for the pro version (though as I've said in the past, it does make the setups much more transparent), as Mark has kindly offered Creator as an alternative means of building setups.

Dunc

Thu, 19 Dec 2013 14:38:25 +0000 GMT

Hi John,

I have a question about alpha's design and I hope I'm not prying.

On G+ we have had several discussions regarding merits of alternative chromatic layouts. Their main advantages over the standard one are greater range and better accessibility of complex chords (even the triads are easier).

It has also been said that the eigenharp was designed with a specific music in mind and that music wasn't the piano music.

Could I ask you to share some insights on how the musical side of the alpha was designed?

Were there some strict hardware constraints or aesthetics(looks) that dictated its shape and ergonomics?

One thing that nags at me is whether Alpha is a polyphonic instrument, or better yet whether all of its per-key degrees of freedom could be utilized while playing chords.

Can a man wiggle and press 8 fingers at once in a coordinated and controlled manner? I don't know but it seems extremely difficult.

Thanks,
Oleg.

written by: john

Thu, 19 Dec 2013 14:54:22 +0000 GMT

Hi Oleg

The Alpha's design was driven largely by ergonomics, bearing in mind the engineering restrictions of putting a large number of keys near the hands of a musician. It wasn't designed with any particular type of music in mind, it was designed to be as expressive as humanly possible while remaining playable to a beginner. After we had spent countless days thinking about musical layouts, scales, fingerings and all that stuff we realised that we genuinely had no idea what it should really be, hence the extreme configurability (which many have take exception to as it turns out, people woiuld lile to just be told how to play it). The idea was that you, the musicians, would over time figure this out for yourselves and whatever particular style you played in. So far this is slowly coming true, many of you have developed and shared different layouts and I think we'll see some standardisation in time.

The polyphonic expression aspect of the instrument is actually one of the easier things to both understand and play. You can quite easily learn to bend notes within a chord, to bend the whole chord or add vibrato. Guitarists do this stuff all the time, so this isn't a big surprise. If you come from a monophonic instrument or ordinary keyboards it might seem a bit weird, but to those of us who started out on six strings it all seems very reasonable. I bend notes within chords, bend whole chords and vibrato them all the time on the guitar.

I love to see the innovation with layout that goes on, one of those will probably end up at the 'Eigenharp standard' in the end, just like EADGBE did on the guitar.

John

Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:06:03 +0000 GMT

John

Thank you very much for your response.

I guess, it's just those ten thousands hours of practice that are missing.

Regards,
Oleg.

Please log in to join the discussions