Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: 2.0-72 stable, subtle malfunction with AUs and Eigenbrowser

Most Recent

written by: EdisonRex

Not sure what happened but thought I'd mention it.

I've been working on a piece to play on New Year's Eve (we do a marathon live internet radio program on radio.electro-music.com for New Year's Eve).

For the piece I decided to use Alpha Factory 1 as the base template. I set up a template with Workbench to get the sound and midi out remembered, but that means I can start with that. I decided to load 3 of the u-he AUs, using eigenbrowser. Those 3 AUs (the wonderful and free Podolski, Zebralette and DIVA) worked fine, and I used the recorders to set up some nice backing loops.

Over in the drummer section, I set up some of my usual environmental loops and drum loops. I've had one notable issue with this - once in a while, when I'm quickly browsing loops, the whole apple loop player gets a "tick" in it, which then plays behind every one of the loops when the metronome is running, and gets louder and louder. It's not even in time with the metronome, it just seems to get worse as one plays. The only fix is to restart eigend. I don't know if it's because one of my loops is faulty, or it's something about rapidly changing loops, or what. I can save my work and after a restart it doesn't reappear, though.

So I was thinking about loading something into AU4, and I thought maybe I'd try the Arturia minimoog V AU. It didn't turn out so well; the AU loaded, and the panel came up, but I couldn't get focus on any of the controls in the panel, and the browser kept waking up and taking focus away. Worse, when I went to browse for a different AU, the browser kept going to AU1, not AU4. In fact, any audio unit browse would only bring up AU1, even browsing for effects. Soundfonts loaded normally, and the apple loops too. But the AU browse was stuck on 1. Restarting eigend did not have an effect, this seemed to be in the rig.

However, going into workbench, nothing seemed amiss and I was easily able to browse for a different AU in the rig for AU4. That said, eigenbrowser still won't work for audio units, but just one this one setup - all my other setups work fine. loading the OSX Console, there are no interesting messages.

iOS Stage works fine, unless I space out and either let the pad go to sleep or worse, switch away from Stage. Making it not sleep is easy, but returning from any other activity kills the connection. Otherwise it is so nice to work with, I might need to get another iPad so I can use other apps.

Anyway, none of this is particularly fatal to the performance and I don't know if anybody else has tried the Arturia AUs or if the clicky loop thing has been seen by anybody else. But I thought it's worth a mention.

-Paul

written by: EdisonRex

Sat, 29 Dec 2012 15:29:06 +0000 GMT

Not sure what happened but thought I'd mention it.

I've been working on a piece to play on New Year's Eve (we do a marathon live internet radio program on radio.electro-music.com for New Year's Eve).

For the piece I decided to use Alpha Factory 1 as the base template. I set up a template with Workbench to get the sound and midi out remembered, but that means I can start with that. I decided to load 3 of the u-he AUs, using eigenbrowser. Those 3 AUs (the wonderful and free Podolski, Zebralette and DIVA) worked fine, and I used the recorders to set up some nice backing loops.

Over in the drummer section, I set up some of my usual environmental loops and drum loops. I've had one notable issue with this - once in a while, when I'm quickly browsing loops, the whole apple loop player gets a "tick" in it, which then plays behind every one of the loops when the metronome is running, and gets louder and louder. It's not even in time with the metronome, it just seems to get worse as one plays. The only fix is to restart eigend. I don't know if it's because one of my loops is faulty, or it's something about rapidly changing loops, or what. I can save my work and after a restart it doesn't reappear, though.

So I was thinking about loading something into AU4, and I thought maybe I'd try the Arturia minimoog V AU. It didn't turn out so well; the AU loaded, and the panel came up, but I couldn't get focus on any of the controls in the panel, and the browser kept waking up and taking focus away. Worse, when I went to browse for a different AU, the browser kept going to AU1, not AU4. In fact, any audio unit browse would only bring up AU1, even browsing for effects. Soundfonts loaded normally, and the apple loops too. But the AU browse was stuck on 1. Restarting eigend did not have an effect, this seemed to be in the rig.

However, going into workbench, nothing seemed amiss and I was easily able to browse for a different AU in the rig for AU4. That said, eigenbrowser still won't work for audio units, but just one this one setup - all my other setups work fine. loading the OSX Console, there are no interesting messages.

iOS Stage works fine, unless I space out and either let the pad go to sleep or worse, switch away from Stage. Making it not sleep is easy, but returning from any other activity kills the connection. Otherwise it is so nice to work with, I might need to get another iPad so I can use other apps.

Anyway, none of this is particularly fatal to the performance and I don't know if anybody else has tried the Arturia AUs or if the clicky loop thing has been seen by anybody else. But I thought it's worth a mention.

-Paul

Please log in to join the discussions