Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Is MacBook Air good for EigenD?

Most Recent

written by: earthspot

Thanks Geert for alerting me to this.

I initially dismissed the Thunderbolt port as only for attaching an external monitor, but looking closer, a spectrum of Thunderbold devices are beginning to emerge. This may really catch on.

These links may interest somebody...

Thunderbolt interface: 10Gbits/sec
Thunderbolt (Interface)
List of Thunderbolt compatible devices

Google: thunderbolt peripherals
Amazon: search on: thunderbolt

Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:34:24 +0000 GMT

Been using Pico with a large-screen iMac. Need to get a really portable Mac for this thing. I guess most people's tool of choice would be a MacBook Pro, but I'm drawn to a MacBook Air, for not wholly rational reasons.

Specifically: Apple MacBook Air 11.6" - Core i5 with 4 GB RAM - 64 GB SSD

Has anyone experience of running Eigenharp with a MacBook Air? Is the rather venerable chipset really too slow in practice? Ditto the flash memory instead of a hard drive? Would 2 GB RAM instead of 4 GB be an economy too far?

written by: carvingCode

Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:54:55 +0000 GMT

IMO, 4GB RAM is in the 'you're gonna have trouble' range. Would definitely not advise 2GB.

written by: EdisonRex

Tue, 11 Dec 2012 21:43:46 +0000 GMT

the 64gb SSD won't hold any serious AUs either. Also I don't think the Air has a lot of USB on it, 2 which is at minimum. So getting midi/audio out of it and a base station would be about all you can do.

Although SSD would be great for minimising latency, the size would be a problem.

I have a mid-2009 MBP with 8GB RAM and a 300GB HD, the disk is 80% full (Omnisphere ate a lot), I use a MOTU firewire interface, and it has almost enough CPU, but that's run out on me from time to time.

2GB RAM is simply not enough.

written by: tobyesterhuizen

Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:32:25 +0000 GMT

I run eigen D + workbench on my Macbook Air 11" 4gb ram 128gb HD no problem.

The main gripe is screen-size using the default tabs in Stage - but it's
no deal-breaker -> especially considering the price of a MBP would get you an Air + some other components you would need to make a more robust portable performing system.

Also consider that accidents happen when touring and loosing a modular piece of the puzzle at the cost of a Macbook air hurts - but not nearly as much as MBP.

Thunderbolt allows for the Macbook Air to be used this way because it seems to me that it is the speed of the network of your performance system that matters - not so much the power of one component (although, of course it does help if you can justify the $).

Depending on $, for sampled-audio instruments use thunderbolt connected SSD/HDD drives - or thunderbolt to fire-wire cable + a fw800 drive for a lower-cost option.

Similarly you could use a thunderbolt audio interface, thunderbolt-to-firewire-to-firewire-interface or an RME usb one if you want really want to do usb - (else avoid usb as you're already using that bus for the pico.)

Another important consideration will be how you will be powering your devices, where you will be playing etc.

You can make whatever you can afford (or better yet what you already have) work - the trick is convincing the mind that - once it's already spied how cool the new "x" is! That is the decision that will truly upgrade one's "system" :-) (but hey, we're all human!)

Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:08:59 +0000 GMT

Thanks tobyesterhuizen. That reassures me no end, to hear you're actually using one.

And thanks EdisonRex too. I realise 64 GB flash memory is seriously limited for general music making. I'm already using 151 GB on my iMac, mostly for music / voice stuff. So I'm not parting with the iMac any time soon.

I'm taken with the potential of the MBA as a really portable engine for the Pico. Its advantages dwindle for the Alpha, I'd guess, where you're having to ship a vanload of kit anyway. Oh, and letting me edit waveforms in bed with my feet up :) I can't say much more of value till I get my hands on the thing.

written by: EdisonRex

Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:21:37 +0000 GMT

NB - I travel with my Alpha a lot (internationally on aircraft especially) and my entire performance rig, except for the stand, fits into the Eigenlabs travel bag (or any decent carryon rucksack). Even when I augment it with the Macbeth Micromac-D I am due to get sometime soon, that'll fit in the rucksack too. Weight-wise, the Alpha in the Hiscox case is about 10kg with the cables in, and the carry bag is about 12 kilos. My "van load" is a Base Station Pro, a MOTU Ultralite MkIII, an iPad and the Macbook Pro.

A MBA and an iPad would probably have plenty of screen space, if you wanted to run Stage on the iPad instead of the Air.

Just some thoughts

-Paul

written by: GoneCaving

Thu, 13 Dec 2012 19:05:50 +0000 GMT

Thanks for that Paul! I'm travelling with my Alpha next year (changing location for an 18 month stint), and wondering how the case will hold up to baggage handling (I know Neil has trekked his Alpha around the world with no damage other than to the case). I'm looking forward to hearing the results you and Geert produce with the Micromac. I'm sorely tempted!

written by: TheTechnobear

Thu, 13 Dec 2012 20:10:23 +0000 GMT

ive also been looking at upgrading my aging MBP.
the 'rational' choice (value driven) is a non retina display 2012 MBP, due to expansion options (eg non apple ssd, add memory later)
of course if you fancy a MBA or retina MBP there are lots of reasons to persuade yourself :)

i really like apple but not keen on thier new approach of limited expansion, basically its becoming BTO then replace in a few years time.

written by: geert

Fri, 14 Dec 2012 06:44:54 +0000 GMT

@TheTechnobear my personal take on this, and it's really just my own not the company's, is that the Thunderbolt connector makes new Mac laptops more extensible since it's essentially an externalised PCI slot that can be daisy-chained.

I used to be hesitant about the lack of FW800 connectivity, until someone mentioned on a mailing list that it was actually a good thing. I've already blown two firewire ports due to connectivity sparks, getting that replaced is quite expensive. If that now happens, it's simply getting a new dongle which is certainly much easier when on the road, you can even carry a spare.

Thu, 13 Dec 2012 23:29:06 +0000 GMT

Thanks Geert for alerting me to this.

I initially dismissed the Thunderbolt port as only for attaching an external monitor, but looking closer, a spectrum of Thunderbold devices are beginning to emerge. This may really catch on.

These links may interest somebody...

Thunderbolt interface: 10Gbits/sec
Thunderbolt (Interface)
List of Thunderbolt compatible devices

Google: thunderbolt peripherals
Amazon: search on: thunderbolt

Please log in to join the discussions