Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: OSC out of Eigen D into Reaktor 5.8

Most Recent

written by: tobyesterhuizen

Thanks guys for your input!

Will check out the info on Git and see if I can setup a PD patch that will parse the OSC that Eigen D sends into OSC 'tags'/streams that Reaktor will respond to.

Will post a link to the patch + info on how to use it when it's done.

(Steve, if it is useful to you, I will make it so as a user you can specify your own osc message 'tag' for each input -> perhaps this may help with your app?)

Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:49:42 +0000 GMT

Has anyone had any experience / success getting OSC data out of Eigen D and into the new 5.8 "OSC-friendly" release of Reaktor?

(http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/11/reaktor-5-8-with-osc-now-easily-control-reaktor-built-sound-creations-with-touch-even-in-play-mode/)

Any help in just testing the "OSC" signal would be great too -> have tried listening to the output port via max.msp and PD (apart of course from Reaktor) without luck.

Is there any further documentation going to be added to the OSC agent in workbench? (at the moment there is only the brief explanation in the notes of the OSC basic experimental setups)

(What does "register-fast" mean ? Is that a generic OSC message to register ports on an OSC server.. sorry if that's even a stupid question - I have no idea!?)

Have been able to estable OSC communication between other apps quite easily - PD and Blender for example of Quartz Composer and Processing - but Eigen D has me stumped!)

Any help / pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Toby

written by: steveelbows

Tue, 4 Dec 2012 23:04:11 +0000 GMT

It's been months since I touched my Eigenharp Pico & OSC but I did have OSC working in the past, and the update to Reaktor that finally supports OSC in plugin mode has peaked my interest so I'll be doing something with it this week.

The most obvious stumbling block you may be facing is the stuff to do with register-fast. Basically you have to send that OSC message to eigenD using OSC before it will send any OSC messages back to the port of your choice. On the example setup page it is using a command-line tool called oscsend to send that message via OSC.

Basically its sending a single OSC message to port 9999 of localhost, to the OSC address /register-fast and then two string parameters and an integer. You can use something other than oscsend to send this message to the EigenD software, if you have something that will let you send that mix of strings and an integer as OSC parameters.

Not sure if any of the terminology I've used has gone wonky during my break, so apologies if that doesnt provide clarity.

Assuming you get past that stage ok and successfully have your Reaktor setup to listen to the right port (5555 is used in the example setup wiki instructions), the next issue will be how easy it is to get the data you need from the OSC message format that EigenD uses and wire it up to reaktor parameters. I'll have to refresh my memory before I can comment on this, worst case scenario is that you will have to use some bridging software to convert the OSC messages into something Reaktor can handle at all or without a lot of spaghetti.

written by: steveelbows

Tue, 4 Dec 2012 23:42:13 +0000 GMT

OK I just had a quick go and got the messages showing up in Reaktor. Or should I say part of the messages - the complex format that the EigenD OSC agent sends is not really suitable for using with the straightforward OSC mapping that was added to Reaktor recently.

Depending on what you are hoping to achieve, for some scenarios its easier to just stick with midi. Or use max or pd to process the OSC messages and send them on to reaktor in a simplified format. I dont know if anybody has done any work on this recently that you could borrow from, I'm sure someone shared some kind of max patch in the past. Much earlier this year I was writing my own program that did interesting things with OSC from the Pico but I lost enthusiasm once it became clear that the weird method of playing I was supporting involved holding down too many keys at once for my app to be able to handle the vast amount of OSC data this generated constantly. I would have to write my own OSC agent for EigenD to get round this problem I believe, and thats not within my capabilities.

So yeah, tell us what you are hoping to achieve and I'm sure I will post more thoughts!

written by: geert

Wed, 5 Dec 2012 07:10:50 +0000 GMT

I might have a play with it over the weekend if I find a moment. In the meantime however, the current experimental OSC agent is actually intended as an example for developers. It contains a lot of documentation and should be quite approachable for developers that want to tweak it. Here is the source code on GitHub: https://github.com/Eigenlabs/EigenD/tree/2.0/plg_osc

Geert
Eigenlabs Software Team

Wed, 5 Dec 2012 07:52:08 +0000 GMT

Thanks guys for your input!

Will check out the info on Git and see if I can setup a PD patch that will parse the OSC that Eigen D sends into OSC 'tags'/streams that Reaktor will respond to.

Will post a link to the patch + info on how to use it when it's done.

(Steve, if it is useful to you, I will make it so as a user you can specify your own osc message 'tag' for each input -> perhaps this may help with your app?)

Please log in to join the discussions