Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: We are musicians, not programmers

Most Recent

written by: Bongo35

I went through some contrasting emotions when I first picked up a Pico, the sheer flexibility and opportunities of the instrument, to the rather difficult learning curve - and that isn't just the software. I'm yet to see a youtube video of someone playing 'flight of the bumble bee' at top speed.

If the numbers were sufficient for eigenlabs, maybe a workshop for players (rather than programmers) could be an option. Geert's videos are very helpful, but sometimes having someone just show you face-to-face can be the key to taking understanding a step further.

Just a thought

Dave

written by: jeanlouis.papier

Sun, 25 Nov 2012 16:30:18 +0000 GMT

Come on guys, why do you have to make everything so complicated and difficult to use?
The eigenharp is an amazingly nice piece of hardware, but the software is absolutely not thought for USERS (= musicians)...

I thought I'd be buying the Eigenharp to make music, not to learn a new programing language or manipulate your agents (I don't even understand what those are) or wonder what is going on with EigenD and commander or browser or stage or midi matrix...

I'm sure I'm not alone here! What I dreamt of what was a "plug & play" controller with enough configurability to experiment various things, but not so much that I spend hours on NOT making music.

-I don't need your pianos and clarinets (super innovative instrument... stick a piano as default sound...)
-I have a DAW and VSTs, so I don't need all your integrated stuff.
-I don't want to learn your Belcanto, neither write configuration files.
-I just want an easy, MIDI (or OSC) controller, that I can use to play my VSTs.
-I want easy "behaviour" presets (a bit like your strummer and fingerer thing) that work nicely in MIDI.
-I don't want to open hundreds of windows (commander, browser, stage, main window...) before I can play.
-If I want to configure my PiCO more precisely, I want to do it though a simple, visual widget. (picture of a pico, right clic on keys, assign parameter X, assign light Y, blabla...)

I was so disappointed when I had to spend 3 hours to understand how to configure my Pico before I could play...

I think you need a "user experience designer" or at least someone who could build a bridge between your programmers and your users.

written by: geert

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 08:01:39 +0000 GMT

Hi Jean Louis,

I totally understand your feelings, I felt something along these lines also when I first started playing the Eigenharp before joining Eigenlabs. Sadly, in the current state of the electronic musical landscape it's simply not possible to have the expressiveness of the Eigenharp and plug&play. The main reason is that everything is still designed for MIDI and that nothing is standardised for musical usage of OSC.

So yes, you can use the Eigenharp to play simply MIDI note on/off with velocity and a single pitchbend and modwheel. If that's what you're after then just launch EigenD with the Pico 2 factory setup and only use the MIDI outputs there. You'll not have to bother with anything else EigenD related and be able to use your DAW with VSTs as you mentioned.

However, as you progress through the Eigenharp exploration, you'll soon find that this really is not optimal. You'll start to want to customise how the Eigenharp expression maps to MIDI, you'll want to fine-tune that, you'll start to want to have different mappings for different instruments. You'll notice that full-rate MIDI sent out by the Eigenharp makes many hardware and software synths fall over and will want to fine-tune how to decimate that. Then you'll realize that almost no DAW or VST handles 14 bit MIDI CCs, so you'll be looking for a higher resolution solution and will want to talk to the VSTs directly without using MIDI, you'll then notice that this requires even a higher degree of mapping but you'll find that the latency is very much improved.

This might then be enough for you, however someone else might want to drive analog synths directly from the Eigenharp and wants a way to directly map the expression to Control Voltage without having to launch three different programs in the correct order and without introducing a massive amount of latency.

Someone else might use the microphone input on the Eigenharp Alpha or the headphone outputs on the Tau and Alpha and wants to change what they hear through there, maybe might in part of what the band is playing.

Someone else might not even want to play music on the Eigenharp in the form of notes, but prefers creating sound scapes. Someone else might want to play it up-side-down but never wants to look at the computer screen. Someone else might want to use Stage and on an iOS device, ... and so on, I think you get the point.

All this to say that you really aren't forced to use any of the advanced configuration features, if you just want MIDI, then just use the MIDI outputs and don't bother about the rest. It seems to me that what you want is there, you even get a MIDI GUI routing matrix that allows you to easily map things. However, many of the Eigenharp users want to heavily customise, fine-tuning or even trim down their experience and appreciate that it's possible with a little learning curve and without being forced to learn or purchase something else.

If there were a simple solution we'd be all over it, sadly there isn't and really it's extremely difficult to get a collaboration going with other music companies, we've been trying for years to work together on a modern standard. Very few are interested in this and don't want to think further than the restrictive percussive model of MIDI.

Best regards,

Geert
Eigenlabs Software Team

written by: john

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:11:19 +0000 GMT

Hi Jean Louis

I think that Geert has expressed the problem with 'Plug&Play' in a MIDI world very well. MIDI is a protocol from the 1980's and is so ill suited to expressive performance that it requires a lot of effort to shoehorn it into any kind of usable solution. Sadly, due to the way it all works, we cannot do all this work for you, all we can do is provide all the things you need to have in order to adapt things to your particular needs. 'All the things you need' is actually a vast possible array of options and there aren't any nice simplifying rules to reduce them to a comfortable minimum, as we have learnt to our cost over the last few years. Every time we try to do that we've had a lot of complaints, and I've come to realise that those complaints are quite legitimate - music is about expression, particularly with the Eigenharps, and tuning the interface between VST's, which use MIDI, and the Eigenharp becomes a basic part of maximising the potential. It's also quite a personal set of choices, choices that affect the way you create, and as such hard if not impossible for us to make nicely simple without dictating to you the way you should play. Dictating to you how you should play the instrument is not what we are about.

In short, MIDI makes is all a bit of a 'dogs breakfast'. VST's are totally MIDI centric, and to coax the best out of them does require quite a lot of effort, effort that is different from VST to VST and from playing style to playing style. There is SO much variation that it's impossible to make it trivial/easy without removing a huge amount of creative potential, and in order to get the best in many situations we have to actually host the VST rather than depend on a DAW to do that for us.

On the 'programming' front you don't need to understand Belcanto to do anything. We've spent a lot of effort over the last couple of years making sure that every possible thing you can do with an Eigenharp is now easy using purely graphical tools. Workbench gives you powerful and complete control over the whole system so that you can makle setups totally customised to your needs and there is a series of tutorials to help you get started with this. Stage gives you real time performance control over these setups, control that can now be used from wireless iOS devices. And we ship, as Geert has pointed out, standard setups that do most basic things right out of the box, including one that just sends plain high rate MIDI out so you can route it to a DAW. If you do want a simple life, this is the setup to use, it just exports the data to your DAW to process as you please there.

I'd lastly just like to say that we are well aware that our UI design has certainly got some rough edges still (particularly the old browser and commander which use a much older and now very dated software library and don't really belong as separate processes any more), but everything built in the last three years has been driven by feedback from the community. The user experience has been created by player feedback and it has turned out that our players want to do an extraordinary amount of customisation as a matter of course. We've tried hard to make this as easy as possible, but sometimes complicated things are just that, complicated, and they take a while to figure out. I'm sorry if you had expectations of being able to immediately use your Eigenharp in a particular way and were disappointed that it took several hours to get that to happen, but outside of the standard Factory setups it's really hard for us to streamline that kind of customisation much further without making profound and limiting creative decisions for the player, and that I'm not prepared to do.

Let us hope that one day OSC might make it all better and that 'Plug&Play' could become a reality.

John

written by: dhjdhj

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:04:16 +0000 GMT

Uh, had this discussion 3 years ago!

Take a look at http://max4eigenharp.com where I've published a small number of Max objects that process OSC from the Eigenharp that let you live very happily in Max-land where you can do what you need more easily.

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:50:39 +0000 GMT

I hate to tell you this David, but advising someone who doesn't like the complexity of EigenD to use Max is like advising someone who doesn't like flying that what they really need is a trip into outer space. I know you like Max but I find it both really confusing and unpleasantly hostile and I know I'm not alone in this. I'm sure that Max is a good tool for certain things and if you have the time and inclination to learn how to use it then I'm sure it can do good things. It still means the overall limitations of MIDI though (no Strummer or Fingerer for you for example, and you're still stuck with velocities on the front of every note), and as I have said before I find the UI pretty unusable.

There are learning curves with all things and I think that it's certainly the case that the learning curve with EigenD is now comfortably easier than Max. You like it because you learnt it years ago and got comfortable with it, but I would seriously advise any newcomers to approach it with caution. It certainly doesn't provide a more user friendly experience than EigenD, in any respect, especially when used with an Eigenharp. Not to say that it can't be used, just that it's certainly not going to give someone an easier time of configuration and tuning. Quite the opposite.

You had a point about Max in the pre Workbench days when detailed configuration was hard and didn't have a nice GUI editor. That's a while back now and no longer makes any sense at all.

John

written by: keyman

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 15:17:43 +0000 GMT

"Storm in a teacup"...

There's always give-and-take / some learning curve.
If you have a DAW and VST's as you @ jeanlouis.papier mention you're "half way there; same goes with the EigenD "terminology".

I don't really find polite you write "...I don't need this and this and that..."about "tools of creativity" and years of developing and crafting of what is today an Eigenharp experience.

Glad Geert and John step in early!

written by: carvingCode

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 16:34:08 +0000 GMT

The OP has a point. It's been brought up before and dismissed just as it has been again.

Creating a highly configurable product has left new (and often long time) users scratching their heads instead of playing music. Ironically, one can probably count on 1 hand the number of active players that are able to grok enough to make significant modifications to or create unique setups. I would venture that most players use the same 1 or 2 setups all the time, because they would rather play music than configure. And instead of addressing the majority of players, more configuration and obscure features (many of those with incomplete documentation) are added.

The notion that one can just load up a factory setup and play through a MIDI device or DAW is not exactly true. One still needs to figure out how to assign EigenD to a MIDI out port -- I believe this still requires Belcanto and Commander in at least some of the factory setups (should be Stage-configurable in all).

The OP should, however, realize that he has the option to do exactly what he wants to do with the Pico and EigenD.

Randy

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:38:40 +0000 GMT

Hi Randy

You can set the MIDI out without Commander as it's a browsable thing, like the loop selection on the drummer voices. There's actually a button on Stage that opens the browser in the right place just for that, so it's pretty easy in Factory 2, even if you don't want to touch the instrument. Geert's just had a look and there's no Stage tab at all in Factory 1 (the bigger setup) for the MIDI, which is an oversight we'll correct at some point and is perhaps why you didn't think there was any way to configure the MIDI out . The 'DAW only' setup does have it though so it's easy to change MIDI port. Of course, you can always browse the MIDI port directly from the instrument in all the setups. That's documented right there in the Quick Reference guide we ship with the instrument..

Could you let me know what features we've added that we didn't document? I thought that we'd added them all to the manual as we went, but if there's something we've missed please let me know and we'll deal with it.

Jean Louis's point is a common one, and unfortunately it's just not a good one, or rather, it's not a useful one. It's an expression of dislike of a basic reality, and expression I sympathise with even when I know that it's not that helpful. Everyone would like a piece of software that is just complex enough for the problem space they inhabit, but no more complex, so that its easy to learn and use. When everyone inhabits the same problem space this is in theory possible and providing the problem space is fairly simple it's often achieved in modern software. In music performance none of these constraints are presently true - everyone inhabits a different problem space (thats pretty much a definition of creativity right there), many of those spaces are really complex and worst of all pretty much no one understands them either, including the musician who's right there. Attempts to reduce this actual situation to the kind of situation that suits simple software are doomed to produce software that makes most people unhappy in one way of another, and attempts to produce software that is configurable enough to avoid that trap obviously produces a different kind of unhappiness, that of having to deal with a high level of complexity whilst having the constant (and in your case and Jean Louis's strong) feeling that it's inappropriate. It's not though, it's what is needed in order to encompass everyone else's needs as well as yours.

John

written by: carvingCode

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:16:00 +0000 GMT

John - I am not by my harps, but it's either Pico or Tau (or both?) that don't have a widget for setting MIDI out port in Stage.

The 'Talker' agent does not contain complete documentation as of the last I looked. 'Channels' and 'Filters' are not well documented.

Related: you stopped creating Workbench tutorials at a point just before anything really useful or creative. It would be good to double up on those, delving into more interesting and useful setup possibilities.

Randy

written by: EdisonRex

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:38:51 +0000 GMT

Horses for courses.

I've had a studio for 30+ years, and when I got MIDI back in the early 1980s it was amazing, but then I found out that the underlying complexity caused me to spend at least as much time dealing with the studio itself as well as attempting to be creative. My accomplices had a joke with me in the early 90s - they'd come in and ask me "Are you dicking with your studio today, or is the studio dicking with you?" - tough to tell some days. Times change, but they don't. I don't have to clean tape decks anymore. But if you use a DAW you're already programming (or compositing, or whatever you want to call it). If you're going to do electronic instruments, programming (or arrangement, or whatever you wish to call it) is part of the creative workflow whether you like it or not. And some days the studio wins, anybody who has spent two hours tracking down a hum or signal problem knows.

Yes, eigend has to be everything to everybody, whether they really only want a "midi controller" or an entire performance environment. Part of arranging performances IS programming, in a sense. But you can always use less.

I know the software has a lot more evolving to do, but I'm cool with that. When I started with DP back in the 90s, there was a learning curve, abd a lot of evolution. It *is* a new instrument and it didn't come with much in the way of instructions on how to play it.

Even my EWI needs some programming to make it sound like I want it to. It is a rare day when I can just sit down, turn something on and play.

This is not to defend Eigenlabs - rather to politely point out the reality of working with electronic instruments.

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:19:54 +0000 GMT

We all know the iidiosyncrasies of MIDI and John's "love" for it... maybe that's why there was no STAGE tab for MIDI; but the tools were there and I did create some tabs here http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Player_created_tabs/
Some how its closed to edit and I never was able to upload my MIDI tab.

Missing Documentation Agents
Controller
Envelope
Latch
Micro manager
Orb
OSC output
Panner
Pan Pipe oscillator
Polyphonic summer
Rig
Sax oscillator
Scale manager
Synth filter

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:37:29 +0000 GMT

Wow quite a lot to read, but before : sorry for my rudeness, I was a bit pissed with my Pico yesterday, didn't mean to be disrepectful to your work or this community.

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:22:02 +0000 GMT

In the end all this frustration is generated just because I feel I have the potentially most expressive controller ever, but being limited because of User Interface complexity.

I understand the complexities of compatibility with MIDI and other software/hardware, and the "plug and play" experience is difficult to achieve.
However I think this is not so much about MIDI (or even OSC) as about the UI. How hard would it be to implement a simple graphical scale editor? Or even better, a note layout editor? Or a simple assignator*? A really simple light controller?
*(I use the custom midi setup, there are 2 keys at the end which are set up as controllers, I guess I have to use Belcanto to change that...)

I understand every EIgenharp users has different needs and wants. Surely you can't make everyone happy. But I guess (I may be wrong here, correct me) that there is a big part of them who just use it as a Midi controller. Then why spend so much time working on features that the majority of your users are not even aware of?

I understand there is a learning curve with every instrument, but this isn't an excuse for poor UI. The gap between the novice user who use the basic setup* and the Workbench/Belcanto expert could be filled.
*I could never get to use the default midi setup, had to install the custom midi setup, which only runs with the 1.4 version of EigenD... but that's another matter.

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:54:34 +0000 GMT

Ok, here is a quick mockup of what I'm trying to explain : Eigenharp Configurator

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 22:12:29 +0000 GMT

Hi Jean Louis

All those things you mention, that seem so simple, are in fact complicated and strangely difficult to achieve in a general enough manner to be broadly useful. The issue is one of signal flow - where a light might be connected, or how a key press might affect the note you are playing, is highly dynamic in our world. That dynamic nature of key routing is one of the things that makes the system flexible and powerful. The price we pay for that flexibility is that it's hard to ever tie something like a graphical representation of an instrument to any useful editing function. It would be possible for a completely fixed setup, but a tool that broke as soon as someone used Workbench to modify it would be worse than useless.

We spent a long time about two years ago trying to think of a way to do exactly what you're referring to here and keep the necessary flexibility in the system. By a long time I mean a *lot* of hours, meetings and lot of whiteboard scribbling and brainstorming - it wasn't half an hour over a cup of coffee. All viable solutions we could come up with involve such baroque increases in underlying system complexity (as every signal must then be bidrectional and carry extensive metatdata about what happens to it along route in both directions) that we finally realised that to provide such a nice, easy to use configuration interface was going to make general configuration of the system much, much more complicated, reduce reliability and performance (as complexity always does) and also be very fragile. It would have to be a bit too clever, and that is usually a bad idea.

This kind of configuration tool is not something we're opposed to for religious reasons, it was just too difficult to do properly. Whenever you ask yourself the question 'how hard could it be?' (as I did two years ago) you do have to be prepared for a answer you don't like, and we certainly got one then that we didn't like.

John

written by: NothanUmber

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 22:49:15 +0000 GMT

Hm, perhaps it would help to give agents more freedom how they visualize themselves inside Stage. If we can't have a one-fits-all configurator perhaps the people who know their way through Workbench could build specific setups with dedicated graphical conigurators, so people who just want to do music could hope for somebody with the same needs who builds such a setup.

Or perhaps Eigenlabs could provide a "build a custom setup based on your specifications" service for a fee - perhaps even as an optional bundle with the instrument, so you *can* actually buy a plug and play Eigenharp that does exactly what you want.

written by: cropleyb

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 23:40:58 +0000 GMT

Hi all

I just thought I'd share my experience with the eigenharp.
I bought it to help with my composing - to add more expression to my playing of lead instruments, particularly blown instruments. I was a professional software engineer until 3 years ago when I was diagnosed with brain cancer. As a result, I can't expect to perform on stage. Perhaps it could have been made clearer that the Eigenharp is a performance instrument. This has become clear to me since, but I managed to buy it after doing some research without becoming aware of it.

My first two weeks of trying to use the Pico were very frustrating. The cable was faulty, probably due to my trying to follow the directions about wrapping it around the guides at the back. One of the zip files on the USB key was corrupt. And there was a bug in the Cello that caused a repeatable crash. Geert was extremely helpful, but my first impressions were not good.

I now find it fun to play, and by just using the MIDI out configuration and my DAW, I can do what I want with it. The Eigenharp is way more capable than I currently need, but I'm currently happy using the very small subset of its functionality that I understand. I have plenty more to learn in the electronic music world about DAWs, AUs, music etc., so I'm not likely to delve into the Eigenharp world soon. If the GUI was more user friendly, I'd be more inclined to use it for some more complex experimentation. I have NO interest in learning Belcanto. I'm sure I could - I was a professional developer for 15 years. In my opinion, the complex configuration should be less prominent.

One other thing that irritates me is the difficulty of pressing the right note, particularly when I start playing - with my hands floating in the air, it's easy to miss. My eyesight isn't particularly good, so I find it difficult to look at it as I start playing. Has anyone tried to put some sort of guide above the notes to make it easier? (on Pico)

Anyway, I hope that helps,
Bruce

written by: geert

Tue, 27 Nov 2012 02:12:47 +0000 GMT

http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Player_created_tabs/
Some how its closed to edit and I never was able to upload my MIDI tab.

Hi Antonio,

I don't know why this was closed for editing but I changed it so that you any registered user should be able to edit that page again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Geert

Tue, 27 Nov 2012 02:47:14 +0000 GMT

Awesome, thanks Geert ( must have "slipped" somehow but I did mention it couple of times...np)

Just came to my mind there is also good info on http://www.eigenzone.org/
... and STAGE tabs http://wiki.eigenzone.org/wiki/Stage_tabs

written by: Larryheil

Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:46:34 +0000 GMT

So it has been a year and a half since I got my Alpha. And though there has been progress with Eigen D 2.xx and Workbench, the same comments keep coming up. I feel like the is a time loop !
Right now I do not spend much time with the Alpha, maybe because it takes so long to get things setup and it just feels cumbersome.
Some of the instrument apps for the iPad show that versatility can be more user friendly and maybe even fun to deal with.
Years ago many of the keyboard synths dealt with this same problem. If you want to learn and spend a lot of time gaining max flexibility it is there, but if you are a musician who just wants to play music, there are simple buttons that will take you to a lot of good presets (many made by musicians) and you are up an performing quickly.
This takes lots of man hours to develop and the money to pay for it. But if people are not buying your product, where does the money come from?? And with little marketing (money again) and a not very musician friendly OS how do you get the user base larger (to get some money) ??
I still think that the Eigenharp is the best controller design and product out there. I want it to become popular and then maybe more of the plugin makers would start to use these advances to go beyond the old midi. Is innovative music dead ? I hope not.
Larry

Please log in to join the discussions