Forum rss-feed

Forum

Developers: Another Dev Conference?

Most Recent

written by: 0beron

As an attendee of the first one I'd like a second devcon were it to happen to include maybe a parallel session where I could get some focussed help from Geert and Jim on the C++, python and general eigenD architecture side of things. I've some half built things I worked on after the first devcon, but I didn't get very far on account of biting off more than I could chew. I'd like to find an easy-ish agent idea and have a good stab at it on my own in the time leading up to the conference, and then get over any hurdles with a bit of help from eigenlabs.
I'm fairly comfortable with workbench nowadays, but I'm sure sure there would be something I could learn from a workbench session as well.
Of course there should be more alcohol related innovation also ;)

written by: jsn

Fri, 23 Nov 2012 17:27:36 +0000 GMT

Is it time we might start talking of such a thing ?

I for one would be up for another - the one in January was great.

Thoughts?

written by: keyman

Fri, 23 Nov 2012 23:50:04 +0000 GMT

@jsn
I share the same thoughts... Awesome it was to witness the birth of the very first EigenD "collaborative agent" (by the way, I still use it!)

Loved the atmosphere and meeting everyone; like @jsn "... Up for another ..."

written by: niksilver

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:19:11 +0000 GMT

I think the challenge for a DevCon v2 is what it should consist of. Year One saw great tutorials on the internals of EigenD (I saw the videos) plus some development and alcohol-related innovation (I saw the photos).

Repeating that would probably not be too exciting to the first year's attendees -- people who are probably the most dedicated Eigenharp techies -- and anyway, the videos are online. Doing something more advanced would limit it to just those people who went the first year. Doing something more basic would probably not interest those most dedicated techies.

Maybe Year Two should be entirely different.

There might be something interesting in the area of a hack weekend or project weekend. Speaking entirely selfishly I'd really enjoy getting my hands on Workbench and learning from the experts. I'd happily spend some time documenting some of the undocumented agents in return. I have no idea how to make Strummer work for me, even though I've read the documentation. It looks complicated. How did Antonio set up his Alpha for Free Fly Colour Sound, which won second prize in the Pianoteq video contest? Can I learn to make a setup for my Pico which sharpens notes when I blow? Or switches instrument when I blow?

Not so much a DevCon, more a TechCon, maybe?

written by: jsn

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:21:32 +0000 GMT

I agree with much of this sentiment. I wished there had been more playing & sharing last year

written by: MarkPowell

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 23:15:13 +0000 GMT

Subject to work and family commitments I'd be interested if it were more Workbench, config and performance oriented. Although I've got plenty of development experience, that's more recently on the database side of things and I've not coded C++ for about 15 years (and never on OSX,) so I wouldn't feel comfortable at a hardcore 'DevCon'. If it were a crash course in Workbench/Belcanto and a general exchange of ideas I'd feel more able to contribute. I'd happily bring my Alpha and/or Pico if there was room for a bit of music making.

written by: 0beron

Tue, 27 Nov 2012 10:10:38 +0000 GMT

As an attendee of the first one I'd like a second devcon were it to happen to include maybe a parallel session where I could get some focussed help from Geert and Jim on the C++, python and general eigenD architecture side of things. I've some half built things I worked on after the first devcon, but I didn't get very far on account of biting off more than I could chew. I'd like to find an easy-ish agent idea and have a good stab at it on my own in the time leading up to the conference, and then get over any hurdles with a bit of help from eigenlabs.
I'm fairly comfortable with workbench nowadays, but I'm sure sure there would be something I could learn from a workbench session as well.
Of course there should be more alcohol related innovation also ;)

Please log in to join the discussions