Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: iOS Stage feedback

Most Recent

written by: fooran

Has the app disappeared off the store? I acquired an iPhone specifically to use with stage & when I link to it from your site, it says it's not available in the UK store. What's going on???

written by: carvingCode

Sat, 10 Nov 2012 00:59:55 +0000 GMT

1) Should not cover the iPad's battery indicator, wireless signs indicator, clock, etc.

2) Same on iPhone.

written by: geert

Sat, 10 Nov 2012 06:56:36 +0000 GMT

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the feedback.

That's actually done on purpose to have as much screen estate as possible, quite important on the iPhone and iPod Touch, and not unimportant on the iPad. Also, any other remote control app out there that we tried hides the status bar for this very same reason.

Best regards,

Geert

Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:21:52 +0000 GMT

No worries. Just feedback from a customer.

written by: john

Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:44:51 +0000 GMT

Hi Randy

It was an active design decision to implement it that way - we played with it ourselves and looked at the way other people had implemented control surfaces as well. It may be possible to make it a preferences option though, if enough people feel strongly that it's a useful customisation. For small devices I think it's probably pointless as you really want to see every pixel of screen, but for larger tablets it might be worthwhile, particularly the WiFi status. If anyone else feels that they'd like this, please chip in and let us know and if enough people comment we'll add it to the wish list.

John

Sat, 10 Nov 2012 18:40:49 +0000 GMT

Omni TR shows the top bar, as does the remote control apps for DirecTV and uverse.

Sat, 10 Nov 2012 19:43:27 +0000 GMT

TouchOSC, TB Midi Stuff, Lemur, V-Control Pro, Ac-7 Core all don't show it. We'll look at whether it can become an option, but I'm not certain it's possible.

written by: keyman

Sun, 11 Nov 2012 13:20:45 +0000 GMT

Some apps show ( Midi Touch) and I think a lot more don't (Konkreet Performer, SoundPrism Pro, Mugician, SynthX, Cassini, PPG.

I've used STAGE in many different situations, never felt the need to have that upper bar display, I agree with the design decision, leaving a clean, uncluttered more screen estate!

If I may leave here, I believe a much more "usability" future add-on:
- double touch to 0 or default value
- snap to an intermediate value say 15% - 50% and 75%

It would allow faster and more accurate "knob/fader twiddling"

Cheers,

Sun, 11 Nov 2012 23:42:00 +0000 GMT

And no worries. Just a personal preference, especially for apps that I may need to leave open for extended periods.

Time will tell whether I even add this app to my normal workflow. I always have ready access to my PC or laptop, so an app may be redundant.

written by: stuwyatt

Wed, 14 Nov 2012 12:23:55 +0000 GMT

Just a quick note to say that I have had real dreams where I have been using Stage for iOS. It opens up so many possibilities.

The idea that I have is to use an ipod Touch and mount it on my Tau in the gap between the main playing keys and the percussion keys. It should be fairly easy to attach a slimline iPod case to the instrument and just slot in the device as and when needed.

[Edit] I've just come back from town with a 2nd hand 4th Gen iPod touch and have just purchased and installed Stage for iOS. On first impressions, it looks great.

I've never owned an ipad/ipod/iphone before, so forgive me if I'm asking a stupid newbie question, but is there a way to fix the aspect ratio and not have it flip into vertical mode (or upside down)?

Wed, 14 Nov 2012 13:27:18 +0000 GMT

Take a look herehttp://www.todaysiphone.com/2011/10/tips-tricks-lock-iphone-orientation-in-landscape/

Did the trick for me, some time ago...

I also attached my old iphone 3Gs to the lower back of the Alpha (with 5 small round dots of velcro), for "just-in-case-something-evaporates-in-EigenD - I run TouschOSC for live performances.

Hope this helps

Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:21:25 +0000 GMT

Thanks. It looks like I need to jailbreak the ipod to do this. On iOS 6.0, you can only lock it in portrait mode. I'm going to see if there is an app first that will solve this issue before I go down the jailbreaking route.

Thanks again :)

Fri, 16 Nov 2012 13:38:54 +0000 GMT

I've sent you that because it covers more then one way to do it; but you can do it without jailbreak. (i'm on IOS 5, but i think it work with IOS 6 too)

down below it says:
"...Well, one of the options that AssistiveTouch offers is the ability to change the orientation; you can choose from left, right, upside down, and portrait. Now here is where it gets good. You can change the orientation to any of these without unlocking the orientation switch. What’s so great about that? This allows you to change the orientation to landscape while it is still locked! Voilà , your iPhone/iPod is now locked in landscape mode..."

Thu, 22 Nov 2012 03:05:37 +0000 GMT

That'll teach me to scroll down... lol

It works brilliantly. Thanks :)

written by: MarkPowell

Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:02:33 +0000 GMT

Hi All,
I've splashed the cash for Stage today and generally am impressed. It instantly makes the config much more accessible than using Stage on the laptop. A couple of observations though:

* I have my iPad set to sleep after about 2 minutes to save battery life. When it sleeps and I wake it up Stage still shows, but has lost the link to the computer. I have to close Stage (by going back to the home screen, double-tapping the home button and then ending the process) before I can use it again. It should really resume automatically - am I missing something or is this a bug?

* It would be good to be able to type a value into a widget somehow - if you've set a pan or a transpose setting it's quite fiddly to get it back to 0 at the moment.

Thanks,
Mark.

written by: john

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:23:48 +0000 GMT

Hi Mark

The iPad sleep recovery looks like a bug, it's supposed to rediscover its host and connect but something is failing. We'll look into this for the next iOS release, thanks for letting us know.

The ability to have a direct value entry widget on Stage is already on the feature wishlist, we'll bear in mind that you've voted for it!

Best

John

written by: MarkPowell

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:22:13 +0000 GMT

Thanks John. I've upped the sleep timeout for the time being.

Cheers,
Mark.

Wed, 5 Dec 2012 18:49:04 +0000 GMT

@EdisonRex
No need to restart the Ipad all the way. What IOS version are you using?

from here :http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/30/iphone-101-quitting-apps-in-ios-4/

....There's are two ways you can quit, according to Apple's documentation, although neither one is particularly obvious. Read on to learn what they are.

Force Quitting To force an application to quit, Apple recommends that you bring the app you want to quit to the foreground. Then press and hold the sleep/wake button for several seconds, until the Slide to Power Off control appears. Release the sleep/wake button and hold down the Home button for another 7-10 seconds. Your screen will flash briefly and you will return to the main iOS 4 Springboard home page with its icons. This method works for all operating systems from iPhone OS 3 forward, and is the preferred method listed in the iOS 4 documentation.

Removing the Application from the Recents List There's actually a much simpler approach for quitting apps, and that's to use your recent app list. Double-click the home button to display the recently accessed applications. Press and hold any of the icons shown, then navigate to the application you want to quit and tap the red circled minus button. This sends a signal to the application in question that allows it to quit. The application will be re-added to the recents list the next time you launch it.

If you continue to experience any reliability issues or if your iPhone simply isn't working right, you can always restart your phone by pressing the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds and then sliding across to shut the phone down.
-.-.-.-.

I for once, put the IOS device to AUTO-LOCK - NEVER

written by: EdisonRex

Wed, 5 Dec 2012 18:50:52 +0000 GMT

I picked up the app after reading this thread. It does what I am looking for, with the caveat that I have the same bugs as have already been reported. Is there a way to quit the app without restarting the iPad? It will not connect if the iPad goes to sleep, either initially or subsequently. My limited testing yesterday with a Factory 1 patch went very well actually so I'm looking forward to not crawling around as much on stage. :)

-Paul

Thu, 3 Jan 2013 12:08:51 +0000 GMT

Hi everyone,

A quick note to let you know that we submitted version 1.0.2 of the iOS Stage app with the following improvements:

* Now reconnects properly to EigenD after device sleep
* New view preference option allows the orientation to be frozen (needs application restart to apply)

It will become available once it passes Apple's approval process.

Best regards,

Geert

written by: EdisonRex

Thu, 3 Jan 2013 22:10:14 +0000 GMT

That's very helpful Geert, thanks.

I have another bout of feedback coming, but not until I have made it not a rant. I did recently use it during a performance (new years eve) and I had a few issues. I'll organise my thoughts first.

Paul

Please log in to join the discussions