Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: mistriggering notes

Most Recent

written by: geert

Hi Scuz,

That's probably because there's too much work for your AUs to handle in the configured buffer size, by default this is 512 samples, meaning about 11ms at 44.1kHz. EigenD has a System Usage Meter that you can access from the Window menu. When that's going into the red, you'll start getting drop outs since 11ms have passed and some AUs might not have calculated the sound yet.

There are several ways to improve this:

* you can increase the buffer size in the audio settings, but you'll also increase latency, it gives the plugins more time to process

* some plugins have different "fidelity" or "quality" settings, reduce those so that it has less to calculate

* some plugins allow you to set a maximum of active voices, using less of those will free up processing power for the most current ones

* some plugins (like U-he Diva) are incredibly resource hungry, they might sound awesome but really can bring a machine to its knees, maybe look around for alternatives that are similar and less hungry

* there's a decimation setting in the global configuration for each audio unit that EigenD hosts, increasing that, reduces the amount of MIDI messages that will be sent to the plugin (not the host automation parameters). This might help but I've rarely seen it be an issue, it's mostly used for slower physical MIDI connections

* free up resources on your computer by quitting all other software, turn off Wi-Fi, disconnect it from the internet and only use EigenD. I personally have a dedicated MacOSX partition for that so that nothing else runs inadvertently.

* make sure that audio unit agents that aren't in use are automatically but into idle by EigenD by turning 'Tail Time Enable' on and giving it a reasonable interval.

* as a final resort, upgrading your computer to a faster CPU will allow your plugins to calculate faster and possibly get done in time for the buffer size

Hope this helps,

Geert

written by: music-aems

Sat, 3 Nov 2012 20:47:12 +0000 GMT

hello guys,

i've been rehearsing for a performance on my pico and i'm having a lot of trouble with wrong notes. it's not in a technique problem, notes are just randomly coming out wrong. its quite often a semitone higher than the intended key.

i'm using the 4 AU and 4 MIDI setup with a few extras like the osc output, and an additional midi output that is always on.

I'm using kontakt 5 player on all of the AU channels and often using more that one instrument at a time. this makes the problem worse in a way because then i just get random semitone dissonances.

any ideas what might be causing this??

Sat, 3 Nov 2012 23:59:15 +0000 GMT

Hi,

Is this something you can easily reproduce? What's the EigenD version you're using? Can you please send a bug report from within EigenD right after you're getting such a wrong note, this will also include the setup in the message we receive. It might allow us to see identify what's going on.

Best regards,

Geert
Eigenlabs Software Department

Sun, 4 Nov 2012 13:10:52 +0000 GMT

hey Geert,

i've been looking at it again today and it seems to only happen when i hit the key at an angle, as if its the pitch bend data thats causing it, except 'send pitch bend' is turned off on most of my AU instruments, or if not, it is only a very small amount of pitch bend, for vibrato.

i have send a bug report so maybe that will give you some clues, but the older versions of my setup dont seem to be doing it, so it might be because of something i changed in workbench.

thanks
scuz

Sun, 4 Nov 2012 16:54:58 +0000 GMT

Hi Scuz,

This sounds like you set the pitch bend curve for a scaler to 4 on some of your instruments. This snaps between steady note frequency and the pitch bend distance that's configured. If you hit it at an angle, it will snap to the pitch-bent note without any gradual difference. Just open the property editor of each scaler in Workbench and check that the value of 'curve' is less than 4.

Hope this helps,

Geert

Mon, 5 Nov 2012 00:10:36 +0000 GMT

that's an interesting idea, but it's not that, because it happens on all the instruments and not all the time, maybe only once every 10 notes. I've built my patch back up from scratch and it doesn't seem to be doing it now. I think I may have just done something silly in workbench and not noticed.

I have another question though if thats ok, when playing multiple instruments at once i notice that if i play more than about 7 notes, the audio sometimes breaks up, it doesn't really sound like its clipping because it happens at low note velocities. i thought it might just be too much yaw and roll data (7 notes x 3 instruments) for my macbook pro to handle. thoughts?

Mon, 5 Nov 2012 09:18:22 +0000 GMT

Hi Scuz,

That's probably because there's too much work for your AUs to handle in the configured buffer size, by default this is 512 samples, meaning about 11ms at 44.1kHz. EigenD has a System Usage Meter that you can access from the Window menu. When that's going into the red, you'll start getting drop outs since 11ms have passed and some AUs might not have calculated the sound yet.

There are several ways to improve this:

* you can increase the buffer size in the audio settings, but you'll also increase latency, it gives the plugins more time to process

* some plugins have different "fidelity" or "quality" settings, reduce those so that it has less to calculate

* some plugins allow you to set a maximum of active voices, using less of those will free up processing power for the most current ones

* some plugins (like U-he Diva) are incredibly resource hungry, they might sound awesome but really can bring a machine to its knees, maybe look around for alternatives that are similar and less hungry

* there's a decimation setting in the global configuration for each audio unit that EigenD hosts, increasing that, reduces the amount of MIDI messages that will be sent to the plugin (not the host automation parameters). This might help but I've rarely seen it be an issue, it's mostly used for slower physical MIDI connections

* free up resources on your computer by quitting all other software, turn off Wi-Fi, disconnect it from the internet and only use EigenD. I personally have a dedicated MacOSX partition for that so that nothing else runs inadvertently.

* make sure that audio unit agents that aren't in use are automatically but into idle by EigenD by turning 'Tail Time Enable' on and giving it a reasonable interval.

* as a final resort, upgrading your computer to a faster CPU will allow your plugins to calculate faster and possibly get done in time for the buffer size

Hope this helps,

Geert

Please log in to join the discussions