Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: UserScales.txt missing

Most Recent

written by: john

The driver component of EigenD is available in the open source release of EigenD, so it is both free and public domain. It's about as free as it's possible to make a piece of software in fact. You are more than welcome to use that (and the easiest way to do so is probably to just use the 1.4 release still freely available at no charge on our website), although if you are experimenting with user defined scales I suspect that you are already using the more advanced EigenD features, features that aren't part of the Eigenharp driver code at all.

EigenD itself is a large and complex music performance system and exists as a product in it's own right independent of any of the Eigenharps. It is a long, long way from being a 'driver' and requires a lot of expensive work to both develop and maintain, work that is ongoing and orders of magnitude more difficult and time consuming than just looking after a driver. When you buy an Eigenharp you get a year of free updates to that software. If you don't feel that you need to keep up to date now that your free support has finished then there is no need to pay anything - you can go on using your current version. It's usually better to run the latest version - we are continually improving the system (and that work is what you help to pay for when you buy EigenD updates), but there's really no need to unless you want active support.

John

written by: limfjord

Sat, 3 Nov 2012 06:05:20 +0000 GMT

Hi

I've been trying to make some scales of my own, but the described location of the UserScale.txt is empty (/Users/youruser/Library/Eigenlabs/Scale Manager/ ) .. So I created a file called UserScale.txt and copied the first example from here: www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/Custom_Scales/
I also typed in my own, but none of them show up in the scale browser list..
I've tried renaming it User Scales.txt - but no luck
Am I supposed to switch to the userscale list somewhere in the browser?
Am I using the right location - I'm new to mac's
Am I doing anything else wrong? .. let me rephrase that to "What am I doing wrong?"
- and why is the location empty - wasn't there supposed to be a file with scales?
I'm running Mac OSX 10.8.2, and EigenD 2.0.64-stable

Hope for some wise answers ;o)
Best Regards
Kim

written by: geert

Sat, 3 Nov 2012 08:31:53 +0000 GMT

Hi Kim,

There are three possibilities that jump out:

* the location of the file is wrong: to find the Scale Manager directory for your user, it's probably easiest to launch EigenD, go to the Tools menu and find 'Open Library Directory'. A Finder window should open and show you the 'Scale Manager' directory. It's indeed empty by default.

* the name of the file is wrong: select it in the Finder, go to the File menu and click Get Info. This will open a small window, make sure that Hide Extension is unchecked, otherwise it could be that the name in reality is 'User Scales.txt.txt'

* the format of the text in the file is wrong: start with a very simple scale definition that you copy verbatim from the wiki page you linked to. Check if that already works before making changes

Also, you have to be aware that the user scales appear at the bottom of the known scales in the EigenBrowser. Maybe you're not seeing them because you're looking amongst the factory scales?

Hope this helps,

Geert

PS: you're running an old version of EigenD, it's always a good idea to upgrade to the latest which is now 2.0.68-stable.

Sat, 3 Nov 2012 11:59:01 +0000 GMT

Thanks.
I dont know what I've done different, but I did all of your suggestions, and now it works.. When I try to update to 2.0.68 I get this message:

"Access to this page requires you to have active software maintainence, or an Instrument that has been registered within the last year." ...?

Sat, 3 Nov 2012 13:43:25 +0000 GMT

Hi Kim

I've just looked and you don't seem to have active product support at the moment. It's possible that your free instrument support period (which is a year from purchase/registration) has expired, or if you bought EigenD your free update period may be over. If that's not the case then you should be able to download the latest version with no problem - please let us know if you think that's the case and we'll look into it.

John

Sun, 4 Nov 2012 16:41:14 +0000 GMT

Whauw! So I buy a quit expensive piece of equipment, and I get to pay for the driver!?

Sun, 4 Nov 2012 18:48:21 +0000 GMT

The driver component of EigenD is available in the open source release of EigenD, so it is both free and public domain. It's about as free as it's possible to make a piece of software in fact. You are more than welcome to use that (and the easiest way to do so is probably to just use the 1.4 release still freely available at no charge on our website), although if you are experimenting with user defined scales I suspect that you are already using the more advanced EigenD features, features that aren't part of the Eigenharp driver code at all.

EigenD itself is a large and complex music performance system and exists as a product in it's own right independent of any of the Eigenharps. It is a long, long way from being a 'driver' and requires a lot of expensive work to both develop and maintain, work that is ongoing and orders of magnitude more difficult and time consuming than just looking after a driver. When you buy an Eigenharp you get a year of free updates to that software. If you don't feel that you need to keep up to date now that your free support has finished then there is no need to pay anything - you can go on using your current version. It's usually better to run the latest version - we are continually improving the system (and that work is what you help to pay for when you buy EigenD updates), but there's really no need to unless you want active support.

John

Please log in to join the discussions