Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Midi Control: Velocity off?

Most Recent

written by: Ohmnastrum

Thank you so much Geert This is pretty much exactly what I wanted. I'll have to figure out a few more things but this is an excellent starting point! I really appreciate your point that out.

Thank you very much
Ohm

Sat, 27 Oct 2012 20:08:55 +0100 BST

Hello there,

I just got a pico a few days ago and i'm trying to set up my midi mappings such that I can control my AU instruments in Logic via the breath pipe.

I was able to hook the breath pipe to a few of the things I needed to achieve the clarinet like effect but I'm having real trouble with the keys.

I don't want to have to slam down the key in order have a full range of control over expression. I would prefer that velocity was always at 127 or be able to control velocity along with expression (Makes really messy midi if all the velocity was at 127 the whole time.)

What would be the best approach to get that clarinet-like setup in Logic?

Thanks

written by: keyman

Sun, 28 Oct 2012 01:28:51 +0100 BST

My 2 cents; you have to give your Pico and EigenD more then just a few days, and go slowly understanding all the possibilities this instrument offers.

From your description, EigenD can host AU's directly and using the Routing_Matrix achieve great control.

Using just midi out is truly missing the whole "Eigenuniverse" and all it's strength; so there is a Clarinet physical modeling sound (very detailed and expressive to my opinion), but maybe it's not the sound you're after...

STAGE gives you access to many settings!

Hope this may help, and feel free to explain more in detail

Keyman

Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:49:10 +0000 GMT

Yeah you're right I should give it more of a look around. I love the clarinet physical modeling a great deal and I would like that amount of control when I compose music, I actually prefer it over my keyboard and cc controller.

I've fiddled with the routing matrix a great deal and for some reason the only thing I can't do is fiddle with velocity.

As far as stage goes I've also tinkered around with as many settings as I possibly could and still I have no control over velocity. The clarinet physical model seems to achieve this effect VERY nicely. Not having to slam the keys down but relying on the breath pipe for velocity is the effect I would like with my own personal library of sounds.

I tried looking at the videos but they don't quite hit on what I'm trying to do though they did help me get through to my Logic Pro Daw. I just don't want to use my Eigenharp as a keyboard but a breath controller.

I know theres more to it but for now I'm trying to keep it simple haha.
I hope this helps.

written by: keyman

Tue, 30 Oct 2012 00:28:05 +0000 GMT

ok, fare enough! how many times, less is way, way more!

Don't know what plug-ins you would like to play using breath control, but you can use the Routing Matrix and "connect" breath to ex. volume....
Some plug-ins allow velocity curves or no velocity at all.

With EigenD Sampler_Oscillator you can load soundfonts and have access to velocity, but as you get familiar with EigenD, in it's core is made of a lot of "agents" connected together, and some are simply not threre. Workbench allows virtual cables to connect say, breath control to AU 1 volume.

Better stop here, it's simple but getting deeper into Eigenland...
Most of all enjoy playing and composing music wtih your Pico!

written by: geert

Tue, 30 Oct 2012 08:37:58 +0000 GMT

Hi,

It seems to me that you essentially want to use breath as the note velocity. That's one of the reasons we created Strummer, ie. you use a control stream independent of the keys to start the notes and mix what's responsible for the velocity. Blowing in a wind instrument is a single airstream that causes air to make sound in the instrument, similarly as hitting each string on a guitar makes it vibrate, ie. it's an impulse that's independent from the note fingerer that gives the impulse and expression of the played notes. You might want to play around with the experimental Strummer setup in EigenD 2 and configure the Strummer agent to suit your needs: http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Strummer/

Hope this helps,

Geert

Sat, 3 Nov 2012 17:33:49 +0000 GMT

Thank you so much Geert This is pretty much exactly what I wanted. I'll have to figure out a few more things but this is an excellent starting point! I really appreciate your point that out.

Thank you very much
Ohm

Please log in to join the discussions