Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: More questions

Most Recent

written by: Vacoloco

ok, So I've decided I really need to try one..
I've analysed what I'm playing and the Tau doesn't have enough keys, so I'd need the Alpha.
I'll need the floor box (with sustain/expression pedal) also.
My intent would be to hook it to a Mac-mini with an SSD running the eigen-d software and hook it to my MIDI rig (which has all the sounds I need and the sounds the band and the fans know).

Is there someone in/near somerset who'd let me visit for a couple of hours, try it and pick your brains about how to do certain things, and could I bring my MIDI rig (10U flight case) to try it?

Many thanks
Paul

Sat, 20 Oct 2012 20:41:03 +0100 BST

All, I'm sorry for asking more questions, but I'm getting closer.

What's the difference between the standard and pro base station? I know the pro base station has inputs for two foot controllers, etc, but what does the standard have?

Is the split definable? (I play two keyboards in some songs live), and can I send one half to the internal instrument and one to an external MIDI device?
Also can the split be "vertical" (i.e. on a column) rather than horizontal (a row)?

Can I change MIDI channel from the Alpha/Tau?

Can you "switch" octave up/down from the Alpha/Tau?

Can the percussion keys be used to triger a sound, and keep it sounding until the key is released? i.e. are they like regular a regular synth keyboard or are they only "single shot" you hit them and it sends note on then note off immediately via MIDI?

Can I set it so that sending a "patch change" from the controller sends two, or three different patch changes to differing MIDI channels? i.e. select instrument one, and have a patch "23" sent on Midi Channel 1 and "Patch 77" on Midi Channel 2 sent?

My main concern is that live I use two keyboards to play, sometimes one of them has three splits on (not a problem, it's a JV2080 in a rack in performance mode) but it means I use the full 5 octaves of that one keyboard and at least 3 on the other keyboard (A korg Triton normally playing a piano sound).
And I'm worried that I won't get the same effective number of keys as I currently use. This is why the Alpha appeals over the Tau, the alpha having 120 playing keys and the Tau 72 (IIRC).
Depending on how the columns are scaled (I'm assuming in fourths like a regular bass guitar) or can they be set to fifths, sevenths or octaves apart?

If I rent the Tau to try and like it, can I get money off the Alpha or is only money off the purchase of the Tau I rented?

Finally, where can I get a demo of the Tau or Alpha? I live in the southwest (somerset) and I can't find anywhere that has the Tau or Alpha in stock, PMT Bristol said they had a pico and said I could try it, if I paid a £40 shipping charge from one of their stores to the other.

Thanks
Paul

written by: MarkPowell

Sun, 21 Oct 2012 00:40:31 +0100 BST

Hi Paul,
I've tried to answer as many of your questions as possible. Hope this is helpful, but feel free to ask again if anything's unclear.

Cheers,
Mark.

[What's the difference between the standard and pro base station? I know the pro base station has inputs for two foot controllers, etc, but what does the standard have?
My understanding is that the standard base-station is powered by an external 'wall wart' power supply, rather than an integrated supply in the pro. As well as the footswitch ports, the pro includes other additional ports, but most are currently unsupported (for example i2C and MIDI in/out, plus a connection to daisy chain multiple base-stations).

Is the split definable? (I play two keyboards in some songs live), and can I send one half to the internal instrument and one to an external MIDI device?
Yes to both, but you need to use Workbench to setup custom keygroups covering separate blocks of the keyboard. The factory setups 2 and 3 for the Alpha allow you to play two separate keygroups simultaneously, each playing a different instrument/MIDI output. Check out the Alpha Quick Reference Guide on the website to see how they are configured by default.

Also can the split be "vertical" (i.e. on a column) rather than horizontal (a row)?
I've never done this, so don't take this as gospel, but I believe so, again using Workbench.

Can I change MIDI channel from the Alpha/Tau?
Yes, certainly on the Alpha and I believe on the Tau as well. This can be done using the existing factory setups, or can be set up on custom setups using Workbench.

Can you "switch" octave up/down from the Alpha/Tau?
Yes. The factory setups include octave up/down keys against each keygroup.

Can the percussion keys be used to triger a sound, and keep it sounding until the key is released? i.e. are they like regular a regular synth keyboard or are they only "single shot" you hit them and it sends note on then note off immediately via MIDI?
The percussion keys are exactly the same as the normal keys, but just larger. They are pressure sensitive and detect movement in both axes. As with the normal keys, they will also allow one-shots or sustained notes, depending on how they're configured.

Can I set it so that sending a "patch change" from the controller sends two, or three different patch changes to differing MIDI channels? i.e. select instrument one, and have a patch "23" sent on Midi Channel 1 and "Patch 77" on Midi Channel 2 sent?
I believe so through the use of Workbench, but I can't say for certain. Probably one for someone with more knowledge of Workbench this one.

My main concern is that live I use two keyboards to play, sometimes one of them has three splits on (not a problem, it's a JV2080 in a rack in performance mode) but it means I use the full 5 octaves of that one keyboard and at least 3 on the other keyboard (A korg Triton normally playing a piano sound).
And I'm worried that I won't get the same effective number of keys as I currently use. This is why the Alpha appeals over the Tau, the alpha having 120 playing keys and the Tau 72 (IIRC).
Depending on how the columns are scaled (I'm assuming in fourths like a regular bass guitar) or can they be set to fifths, sevenths or octaves apart?

The scale can be set as required, as can the offset between columns.

If I rent the Tau to try and like it, can I get money off the Alpha or is only money off the purchase of the Tau I rented?
One for Eigenlabs.

Finally, where can I get a demo of the Tau or Alpha? I live in the southwest (somerset) and I can't find anywhere that has the Tau or Alpha in stock, PMT Bristol said they had a pico and said I could try it, if I paid a £40 shipping charge from one of their stores to the other.
If you'd been nearer I'd have said you're welcome to come and have a go on my Alpha, but I live near Hull, so you'd probably be better going to Eigenlabs themselves if you were travelling that distance. That said, I do occasionally take the Alpha with me when I go to Cardiff with work. It'll probably be a while, but if it's of any use I could let you know the next time I was there if you wanted to drive across from wherever you are in Somerset. For all the technical specs and possibilities, the thing that really makes this instrument unique is the sensitivity and responsiveness of the keys, and they really have to be played to be appreciated.

Sun, 21 Oct 2012 06:32:12 +0100 BST

Mark,

Many many thanks for your replies, I'll contact Eigenharp next week and see if I am able to visit them and give it a try.

For me there are two things that appeal, well three;

1) the control, as you say the ability to put more expression into an instrument than is currently possible with a keyboard is something I really want to do, playing guitar and bass it's something that's missing from the keyboard.

2) The freedom on stage, being stuck at the back behind a stand and rack of keyboards feels very restrictive live, and doesn't let me enjoy the performance as much as I can when I play guitar or bass.

3) The look, it's quite simply stunning, my band is a very "visual" band being described as "theatrical" and playing something as visually stunning as an eigenharp would help this and give us more impact live.

Thank you again
Paul

written by: mikemilton

Sun, 21 Oct 2012 15:32:24 +0100 BST

Paul... a couple more thoughts....

The largest factory setup contains 'splits' in another sense than you are used to. A split is one configuration of the keys which defines one or more keygroups. The larger factory setups have several splits. The result is that, in addition to having multiple keygroups that work much like defining splits on a traditional keyboard you *also* have multiple sets of keygroups.

So, for example, the Alpha factory setup 3 has 5 splits configured as:

1 - one large keygroup
2 - 2 keygroups: a small keygroup at the top and a large one below
3 - 2 keygroups: A large one at the top and a small one below
4 - 2 equal keygroups
5 - 4 keygroups: 3 small at the top and a medium at the bottom.
as mentioned before, each keygroup has its own octave keys and can be assigned to its own instrument.

So this is actually 11 keygroups on the main keyboard by default.

The only problem is that you need enough time to switch between the splits (you press a control key and select the split by pushing another key - it is quick but not something likely mid-phrase. you will need a beat or so.

The Alpha *is* a beautiful thing it is alos quite tactile.

You might consider joining in on one of our hangouts on Google+ (Mondays at 10 Eastern time) as there is always someone there who could show you this and anything else you like.

Here is the most recent: http://youtu.be/EST_7x_8h50

Theatrical - yup, absolutely and real freedom to move (headphones / in-ears, mic and the instrument all on a 80 foot cable).

Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:23:08 +0000 GMT

ok, So I've decided I really need to try one..
I've analysed what I'm playing and the Tau doesn't have enough keys, so I'd need the Alpha.
I'll need the floor box (with sustain/expression pedal) also.
My intent would be to hook it to a Mac-mini with an SSD running the eigen-d software and hook it to my MIDI rig (which has all the sounds I need and the sounds the band and the fans know).

Is there someone in/near somerset who'd let me visit for a couple of hours, try it and pick your brains about how to do certain things, and could I bring my MIDI rig (10U flight case) to try it?

Many thanks
Paul

Please log in to join the discussions