Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Setup migrations in recent EigenDs

Most Recent

written by: geert

Hi Martin,

Thanks for sending the report which includes your setup. I'm following up through email to continue helping you in this matter.

Best regards,

Geert

written by: martinthompson

Mon, 15 Oct 2012 20:57:15 +0100 BST

My 'usual' customised setup worked in 2.0.64. Customisation was running a couple of bits of belcanto to put the keys the way I like them and remove the mode-key delay. The rest was done 'in-Stage' and 'on-Pico'.

In 2.0.66 and 2.0.68 this setup has stopped working in the recorder department - irrespective of the loop length I set, it seems to record for the maximum length only!

The factory setup works fine... in theory I could go back to it and build it up again - but that'd be the third time I've built my setup from scratch for various reasons in the past couple of months and it's tedious and error-prone..

A few questions spring from this:
1) Is it something daft I might have done? (quite likely!)
2) Is this a known bug?
3) Is it possible to debug a setup by hand (Where do they live?)
4) Is it possible to 'diff' setups so that I can at least see what I've not got around to re-configuring between the 'old' and 'restarted' setups?

Should I be taking more backups/version controlling better I wonder. The software engineer in me would happily get busy with a text file... Maybe I should keep my 'setup' in pure Belcanto!

Thanks,
Martin

written by: NothanUmber

Mon, 15 Oct 2012 23:25:11 +0100 BST

It would be cool to have a "Belcanto recorder" that records all things you do in Workbench as a Belcanto script.
Then we could save this script and apply it (or parts of it) to a number of setups (including updated standard setups) (perhaps with minor adaptions).

written by: carvingCode

Tue, 16 Oct 2012 02:07:27 +0100 BST

+1 on NothanUmber's suggestion.

written by: keyman

Tue, 16 Oct 2012 03:08:35 +0100 BST

one LIKE and +1 also to NothanUmber

One more Agent idea?!? is it doable?

Tue, 16 Oct 2012 09:22:35 +0100 BST

Hi Martin,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble. We haven't received any reports of this happening for other people, so if it's a bug, it's not a known one. In EigenD 2.0.66 we have made some changes to the Belcanto interpreter since certain agent names couldn't be disambiguated with the 'hey' and 'listen' phrase. Maybe your Belcanto talker phrase happened to work before, but doesn't anymore after this? The recorders still work fine in the factory setups I tried.

It's easiest to send us a bug report from within the EigenD application, right after an operation doesn't happen as you'd expect. We'll then get your active setup and a detailed log file of what was going on.

My initial approach to debug your particular setup problem would be to make sure that the talkers actually trigger (verify their position) and then to verify the Belcanto in the talkers using the Commander. This should give you a good idea about what's going on.

We have talked internally several times about moving to a text-based format for the setup files, but we haven't been able to find the resources to do this yet. It is currently not on the upcoming feature list though since it has in reality very little benefit to music making. We're now working on some great additions music-wise and think a lot of people will really like those. So while moving to a text-based format for the setups might be done eventually, it's not something that's scheduled.

To go ahead though, I think it's best if you send us a bug report from within EigenD and we'll take a look to see what might be going on.

Take care,

Geert

Tue, 16 Oct 2012 09:27:07 +0100 BST

@NothanUmber, such an agent would really not be trivial to create and require a significant effort from us to develop. Also, it would advocate the use of Belcanto for building setups, which is not what it has been designed for. It's error prone and very easy to make mistakes with when one has to take the context of an entire setup into account. Workbench is much more appropriate for building and modifying setups, and we're continuing to work on that to make it better in the future.

written by: carvingCode

Tue, 16 Oct 2012 11:18:49 +0100 BST

+1 on Geert's post about continuing to make Workbench better.

written by: martinthompson

Wed, 17 Oct 2012 03:12:25 +0100 BST

Geert, thanks for those details - I'll submit a bug report next time I have my Eigenharp out...

I should probably say: as a professional electronic engineer and for-fun musician, I'm probably the most painful kind of customer for someone like Eigenlabs, as I always want to pull the sides off things to see how the innards work , rather than just getting on using it for what it was designed for - making music :) Lest I come across as negative, I have to point out the Eigenharp suits me down to the ground - its design and philosophy resonates with me very strongly and I really enjoy playing it!

Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:21:57 +0100 BST

Hi Martin,

Thanks for sending the report which includes your setup. I'm following up through email to continue helping you in this matter.

Best regards,

Geert

Please log in to join the discussions