Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Tonic lights on the Pico

Most Recent

written by: niksilver

Thanks, @geert, that works really well.

Mon, 8 Oct 2012 15:57:27 +0100 BST

The 2.x release notes say the tonics are lit green, but this isn't the case in the factory setups. In Eigenharp Clubhouse 38 today Geert said this was a deliberate decision to keep the factory setups as close to 1.x as possible. However the 2.x installation does come with scripts (in the Lights folder) to light the tonics in the factory setup of the Alpha and Tau. The Pico has sadly been overlooked.

Geert said he would put together such a script if he had some time (for which, many thanks, Geert), so this is a note for him, as requested. If anyone's already done this then do please post the script here to save Geert the work.

written by: keyman

Mon, 8 Oct 2012 19:52:27 +0100 BST

Good example why more Belcanto phrases, could be publicly known, (even if something gets change in the future)...

light connection
instrument rig - scaler - gateway - main keygroup - keyboard pico

Some mouse clicks with workbench... a couple phrase of Belcanto.

written by: NothanUmber

Mon, 8 Oct 2012 20:15:44 +0100 BST

Yes, the "Gateway Belcanto" is not in the Wiki yet.
Here a Pico standard Setup with lights.

Mon, 8 Oct 2012 21:25:41 +0100 BST

@NothanUmber
It's not "just" the gateway, there is a lot more still missing or changed by now.

I like this, I call it Belcanto challenges, but more then once i get stuck.
Of course i could do it with workbench but I still believe that Belcanto is way beyond...

I'll post a setup using the illuminator, witch I find more flexible...

Mon, 8 Oct 2012 23:50:56 +0100 BST

HERE a Pico standard setup with 1 illuminator connected to all "instruments"
with 8 light patterns each one for the 8 default scales

1 major scale (red tonic-green 5th)
[[[1,1],red],[[1,8],red],[[1,15],red],[[1,5],green],[[1,12],green]]

2 melodic minor scale (red tonic-green 3th)
[[[1,1],red],[[1,8],red],[[1,15],red],[[1,3],orange],[[1,10],orange]]

3 harmonic minor scale (red tonic-green 3th)
[[[1,1],red],[[1,8],red],[[1,15],red],[[1,3],orange],[[1,10],orange]]

4 chromatic scale (red tonic-green 5th)
[[[1,1],red],[[1,13],red],[[1,8],green]]

5 blues scale (red tonic-green 5th)
[[[1,1],red],[[1,7],red],[[1,13],red],[[1,5],green],[[1,11],green]]

6 pentatonic scale (red tonic-green 5th)
[[[1,1],red],[[1,6],red],[[1,11],red],[[1,16],red],[[1,4],green],[[1,9],green],[[1,14],green]]

7 diminished (red tonic-green 3th)
[[[1,1],red],[[1,9],red],[[1,3],orange],[[1,11],orange]]

8 whole tone (red tonic only)
[[[1,1],red],[[1,7],red],[[1,13],red]]

Tue, 9 Oct 2012 10:14:14 +0100 BST

Fun, thank you. Looks a bit funny when you switch to scale 5 (blues) from scale 1 (major) because the 5th button lights up orange, not green: Play in major scale, then do Main Mode key + 4th key on your right to select scale -> 5th key on your left to select blues. 5th key goes orange, when normally it would be green.

But that's not a complaint, just an observation. Am impressed you could do that so quickly.

written by: geert

Tue, 9 Oct 2012 10:21:56 +0100 BST

Hi niksilver,

Here are two scripts to add tonic indicators for each instrument in the Pico factory setups. They'll automatically adapt based on the scale that is active.

Lights Pico Factory 1
Lights Pico Factory 2

Take care,

Geert

written by: NothanUmber

Tue, 9 Oct 2012 12:10:20 +0100 BST

Thanks for the script!
"sampler rig 1 gateway hey input called light 1 create"

Ah, that's how it's supposed to be. Tried to figure out various combinations of "create", "input" and "called" yesterday based on the Python description in phy_rig.py - with funny results - did not guess the right combination though.
Will have another look today evening, perhaps I can decipher the syntax of the "verb" command now in reverse :)

Tue, 9 Oct 2012 12:35:17 +0100 BST

@geert
One more thanks over here, and yes @NothanUmber I was also guessing in the dark this one, funny is, it always turns out death simple.

@niksilver
Sharing setups is always tricky, sure I would need to add some more info to it, but what you describe and I can check it also, it's maybe a bug.

I'm using the "musical light mapping" so to not interfere with the "physical" key's that govern all the functions. It changes color to show something is underneath.

Tue, 9 Oct 2012 20:56:30 +0100 BST

Thanks, @geert, that works really well.

Please log in to join the discussions