Forum rss-feed

Forum

Sounds: Soundfont install should be optional

Most Recent

written by: Kiichi

Hey,
is there any news on this topic yet?
I too would really like to have my soundfonts in another than the default directory since my main HD is an SSD and therefore rather small. After installing the standart sounds I had barely 2gb left and I intend to expand my collection and a simple link to another directory is not working (at least in my Windows version).
So I would love to see an "external" directory for the soundfonts.

Ole

written by: expertsleepers

Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:46:20 +0000 GMT

It would be great if the soundfont part of the install was optional. I don't necessarily want 3GB of samples and 1GB of drum loops dropped on my hard drive that I'm never going to use.

written by: john

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:51:26 +0000 GMT

We're looking at making this optional, its a good point. The only problem is that all the tutorials lose sense without the base sounds so we need to substitute them for some low quality, small placeholders, if you don't want the main sample sets.

written by: Lowdene

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:35:17 +0000 GMT

Would it be possible to have the big files on a separate hard disk, rather than all on the system disk? This is an approach taken with a number of software instruments. If everyone else is like me the system disk gets very full on a laptop.

written by: john

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:43:02 +0000 GMT

Hi Lowdene

I don't see any reason why not, although the samples are read off disk as they are played and the slower the access time the larger the buffers you would need to make this feasible. This has a lot of negative knock on effects, mainly that you need a lot more RAM and that the startup time increases a lot as all the sample bufferes have to be read off disk before you can play. You could certainly give it a go though. I think if you make ~/Library/Eigenlabs/Soundfont a soft link to a directory on your other disk you may find this just works, if the disk is fast enough. We'll try and give that a go in the next few days.

John

written by: Kiichi

Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:08:47 +0100 BST

Hey,
is there any news on this topic yet?
I too would really like to have my soundfonts in another than the default directory since my main HD is an SSD and therefore rather small. After installing the standart sounds I had barely 2gb left and I intend to expand my collection and a simple link to another directory is not working (at least in my Windows version).
So I would love to see an "external" directory for the soundfonts.

Ole

Please log in to join the discussions