Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Different fingering

Most Recent

written by: steveelbows

And here I am doing something weird with major 7th and minor 7th chords with the idea that you hit certain groups of 2, 3 or 4 keys simultaneously. I dont really know what Im doing when it comes to music theory but it sort of works.

[elbows maj7]
intervals=0 7 5 10 4 11 9 2 12 19 17 22 16 23 21 14

[elbows min7]
intervals=0 7 5 11 3 10 8 2 12 19 17 23 15 22 20 14

written by: derek

Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:43:52 +0000 GMT

Is there an obvious way to change the fingering that I'm missing? For example, it wasn't obvious to me that the first four left-hand side keys (looking at the Pico from the front) down plus the first four right-hand side keys were an octave, continued directly with the next four left-hand side keys. Specifically, I was expecting that if I moved my fingers down four keys, I'd have moved up one octave. I know that this would mean duplicating a note (in C-major, middle-C would be both your left pinky finger as well as your right index finger shifted down four keys) but I'm fine with this duplication. The mental model is much easier that way -- for me, at least.

Thoughts and advice? Really loving it, by the way. Only had about ninety minutes off and on to play with it this evening, but it's making me more seriously consider an Alpha, given greater programmability (the 1.0.1 release notes mention "belcanto"?) to come.

written by: expertsleepers

Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:43:19 +0000 GMT

The fingering depends entirely on how many notes are in the scale you've chosen. If you find an eight-note scale (I think I was using Bebop Major earlier) then you get the octave shift moving 4 keys down, as you want.

Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:56:33 +0000 GMT

Also I think one of the training vidoes teased a way for you to create your own scales, although I cant begin to guess how this is is achieved? (ok I'll have a guess - editing a text file somewhere?)

Come to think of it I think the video said to look in the FAQ section of the site, but when I looked there was nothing. Maybe I should look again?

written by: john

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:42:19 +0000 GMT

User defined scales are coming in the next software update, in a few days. They allow any arbitary scale in microtonal increments, written to a simple text file in your Library/Eigenlabs/Scales directrory. The FAQ will be updated to tell you about this, and the release notes for the software will have instructions as well.

John

written by: derek

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:51:35 +0000 GMT

Thanks to all the responders. And yes, for those of you kind enough not to pipe in with, "Well, there are instruments that tune in fifths," thank you as well. Some co-workers (who happen to have experience with stringed instruments) were able to set me straight, being piano-blinded myself.

Looking at one of the Eigenharp Alpha demos this afternoon, I see that in at least one example the fingering goes four across, in four rows stacked on top of each other -- four by four. That seems like it would feel more natural than four by two, then another four by two. Another good reason to go the full Mos Eisley.

The snag with being able to do everything is a lack of constraint enough to do anything. I think the instrument as-ships straddles the boundary well, though additional guidance without necessarily adding more constraints would be helpful. For example, tutorials in recommended fingering for one type of instrument versus another would be helpful. (Perhaps it's simply that I'm a terrible musician, which I accept.)

Wed, 18 Nov 2009 22:15:56 +0000 GMT

Hi Derek

The guys tune the Alphas in all sorts of scales, course and key arrangements. When you engage with the full Belcanto driven system, it allows you arrange the keys any way you can think of really. You can, if you're in an odd mood, arrange them in little circles. We tried to keep it simple for the first Pico setup as the very flexibility, as you point out, can be overwhelming. We will be making other setups available for the Pico as we go on - you'll notice a setup is now available with whole tone pitchbend that we created on request. If you have an arrangement you really want to try, let us know.

The one thing we can't do as yet, that's on the serious wish list, is monophonic style fingerings, such as those used by traditional wind instruments. These give one a great pitch range from a small number of keys, the price one pays being monophony. Its a harder thing to do than it looks, though it in the queue to add as an option. It will make playing two instruments at once (a staple activity on the Alpha) more accessible on the Pico. We all want this.

cheers

John

written by: clausd

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:11:31 +0000 GMT

John, isn't the clarinet set up to be monophonic already - or is there something wrong with how I am setting it up?
I think some new approaches to fingerings - keeping things more in the same place when changing scales and adding range using the two almost unused of the main 18 keys as mode keys will be the main change to add value to the Pico - along with fully mouse driven setup screens as so many people are mentioning.

Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:45:26 +0000 GMT

I thik the clarinet is setup to only play one note at a time, but John means that if you press two keys at once, you get a completely different note than you would get by pressing either of the keys on their own?

Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:39:31 +0000 GMT

That's how I read it. Also on the subject of monophonic fingerings, and traditional wind instruments, another variation that I think the Pico needs to support is the generation of note on messages from when you start blowing, rather than when you press the keys.

written by: geert

Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:43:04 +0000 GMT

Btw, the Clarinet control mode allows for the instrument to be triggered to mono on or off. The multiple keys to play another note approach is very interesting and I was actually hoping that the Pico would provide something like this to widen the range of available notes without having to switch octaves.

Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:51:14 +0000 GMT

The Akai EWI in 'EVI' (Electronic Valve Instrument) mode allows you to cover an octave of a chromatic scale using 4 keys. Using that fingering the Pico could cover 4 octaves, without using the octave shift keys, without even using the inexplicably redundant lower 2 playing keys.

Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:55:39 +0000 GMT

We have a feature ticket in the queue for a 'fingerer' agent that will allow groups of keys to be fingered in monophonic fashion, in the same way as valved instruments. Fingerings would be adjustable. It won't be done in the next few weeks, but you can expect it at some point in the next few months, possibly sooner. The complicated thing is the behaviour on note transitions. There are two possibilities - that the dumb behaviour works well, which is easy to implement, or the harder scenario that tiny misfingerings (remember that the Eigenharp is fast, so these are much more of an issue than in MIDI) sound horrible and annoying and are hard to eliminate. We might give a primitive fingering agent a try on the unstable branch shortly, trying the dumb solution first, if enough people are interested.

Fri, 20 Nov 2009 12:11:03 +0000 GMT

I see the FAQ for doing your own scales is up. Is the 1.0.3 software that supports this expected today?

written by: sam

Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:09:03 +0000 GMT

Hi Steve,

The building of Release update 1.0.3 is currently in progress, and is expected today - I will post on this thread when it has been uploaded.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

written by: sam

Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:35:10 +0000 GMT

Steve,

The EigenD update v1.0.3 is now available from Software Releases

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

written by: geert

Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:38:41 +0000 GMT

Thanks a lot Sam, downloading now. Awesome turnaround time btw, congrats!

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 01:25:32 +0000 GMT

Thanks very much for 1.0.3. I cant get user scales to show up though, perhaps because the FAQ on this subject does not tell me what name I need to give to the textfile, or what extension.

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:06:49 +0000 GMT

Thanks very much for updating the FAQ to let us know what filename to use for the custom scales text file. Im going to try it now.

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:27:14 +0000 GMT

Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:26:48 +0000 GMT

The FAQ on custom scales has just been updated to be clearer:

Custom Scales FAQ

John

Please log in to join the discussions