Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Linux / Wine

Most Recent

written by: john

We use JUCE as well and have done since early 2010. The issue requiring work is not so much VST's these days, which can with some aggravation often be got to work, but the USB layer. This is certainly soluble with some effort, EigenD used to run on Linux perfectly well but the USB system changed a few years ago and we never had time to do the work to move it over.

If any of the coders out there wants to volunteer to do this at some point we'll try and help out as much as we can. All that code is in the base EigenD GPL'd system. I'd love to see EigenD running on Linux again, it's my main computing environment.

John

written by: pouzzler

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 20:42:53 +0100 BST

Hello,

I saw a video of an Eigenharp alpha, and was very impressed with it. After browsing the website for a while, I felt like it was not possible to play it without a windows or mac computer. It had been ten years my addiction to windows and game prevented me from switching full-time to linux, which I finally did last year. I ain't about to fall back into that trap, so I wondered:
What of Wine? Does the windows version of EigenD run under Linux / Wine?
If it does, would it work just as well with a Pico?
I would probably offer myself a pico for christmas, if there was a good 95% probability that either it is possible to compile / run EigenD native on Linux, or if EigenD worked under Wine.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 22:16:56 +0100 BST

EigenD is unlikely to work satisfactorily under Wine, the main reason being the same reason that we don't have a current Linux port, which is the low latency USB drivers.

We'd like to see a Linux port working and there's no big reason it can't be done (the main codebase is GPL) but so far no-one has volunteered to do it and we don't currently have time or resources to devote to such an undertaking, especially since the hassle of trying to run most VST's under Wine/Linux is fairly substantial and we suspect as a result that the usage would be relatively minor.

I use Linux (Kubuntu) on my main desktop, but I still have to keep a Mac for audio apps, sadly, and EigenD is the least of the reasons why.

John

written by: prokoudine

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:46:24 +0000 GMT

john said:
We'd like to see a Linux port working and there's no big reason it can't be done (the main codebase is GPL) but so far no-one has volunteered to do it and we don't currently have time or resources to devote to such an undertaking, especially since the hassle of trying to run most VST's under Wine/Linux is fairly substantial and we suspect as a result that the usage would be relatively minor.

Just to clarify... There's such a thing as native Linux VSTs :)

Check out http://www.loomer.co.uk/. They use JUCE for user interface which works perfectly on all major systems, which is why they have their plugins working on Windows, Mac, and Linux natively. I can confirm that they work OK in Ardour 3 and Qtractor.

Mon, 26 Nov 2012 07:43:44 +0000 GMT

We use JUCE as well and have done since early 2010. The issue requiring work is not so much VST's these days, which can with some aggravation often be got to work, but the USB layer. This is certainly soluble with some effort, EigenD used to run on Linux perfectly well but the USB system changed a few years ago and we never had time to do the work to move it over.

If any of the coders out there wants to volunteer to do this at some point we'll try and help out as much as we can. All that code is in the base EigenD GPL'd system. I'd love to see EigenD running on Linux again, it's my main computing environment.

John

Please log in to join the discussions