Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: EigenD 2.0 Install failed

Most Recent

written by: jaself

I upgraded OSX to 10.6, so Leopard (10.5) problems are no longer an issue for me. The upgrade was painless. No problems noted so far. I had delayed upgrading for a long time.

Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:04:16 +0100 BST

Hi, I need help with installing 2.0. It (2.0.64) installed ok on my Mac Mini (OSX 10.6.8), but failed on my MacBook (10.5.8).

"The Installer could not install some files in "/"."

installdb[1949]: Error: Could not update existing receipt using uid=501 as the prior owner is uid=0

I tried 2.0.64 and 2.0.62. I also tried installing from terminal with sudo, but EigenD failed on startup. After installing 1.4.12 upgrade, EigenD runs again.

written by: john

Fri, 21 Sep 2012 12:40:57 +0100 BST

Hi jasself

We're looking into this now. Apple have done something to their installer and it seems to have caused problems installing on 10.5 - we've run into it with the new media install we're working on too, it seems to be broken with regard to permissions and later OS versions don't have the problem. We'll let you know if there's a workaround.

John

written by: jim

Fri, 21 Sep 2012 17:11:08 +0100 BST

We've found problems with Leopard compatibility in later versions of 2.0. These have been fixed, and the next release (tonight, if all goes according to plan) will run on Leopard.

We still haven't found the problem with the installer for Leopard, so you will have to continue to use the workaround of using the command line installer. But once you do get it installed, it'll work!

jim

Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:41:09 +0100 BST

Thanks. I will look for the new release. I was hoping you could tell me what file or other entity had the offending ownership setting and how to tweak it, but perhaps it is time to upgrade OSX on my laptop.

written by: john

Sun, 23 Sep 2012 11:23:30 +0100 BST

The Leopard problem was twofold, one with the installer (which we're still looking at) and one with EigenD itself which prevented it from running. The second problem has now been fixed, so if you do install EigenD from the command line with 'sudo' omn Leopard it should now run just fine. The installer problem is a permissions related issue (on Leopard, and only on Leopard, the installer no longer does the right thing and this is not an easily fixable problem post install) and can only currently be fixed by running it from the command line under 'sudo'. We currently have no idea how to fix this issue as it seems to be a problem in Apple's newer installer.

We're having an internal discussion about whether or not to continue support for Leopard, as it's proving very troublesome and all the developer tools effectively don't support it properly anymore. Despite it not yet being officially declared 'end of life' by Apple, it's looks like it certainly has been unofficially discarded by them (I don't think they're doing security updates for it anymore for example). We'll keep you posted as to our decision next week, and in the meantime if anyone has very strong feelings about it, please let us know.

John

written by: jim

Sun, 23 Sep 2012 20:19:07 +0100 BST

In the leopard build I actually pulled the old packaging code from before our change to the 'official' apple packaging tools, so the installer should work just fine on leopard.

jim

Mon, 24 Sep 2012 23:11:36 +0100 BST

I upgraded OSX to 10.6, so Leopard (10.5) problems are no longer an issue for me. The upgrade was painless. No problems noted so far. I had delayed upgrading for a long time.

Please log in to join the discussions