Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: How should the effect bypass button in Stage work?

Most Recent

written by: carvingCode

OK. But this is not how effects bypass works in any other situation I'm aware, either in a host or within the effects plugin itself. The bypass either lets the audio thru unchanged (in bypass mode) or adds the effects processing to the audio signal.

If you need [?] to leave it like this it should be highlighted in the documentation. It's confusing.

[/end]

Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:23:34 +0100 BST

I can't quite figure out how the 'bypass effect plugin' button on an AU/VST tab in Stage works.

If I have an effect plugin assigned to the mixer and one assigned to the AU, sometimes the AU's audio drops out if I click the button. I think it has to do with whether or not the effect on the mixer is turned on and its fader is turned up or down.

It's really hit and miss for me at this point. So I'm hoping someone can shed light on this.

TIA

Randy

Sat, 22 Sep 2012 18:20:25 +0100 BST

Anyone?

written by: geert

Wed, 26 Sep 2012 08:55:44 +0100 BST

Hi Randy,

The inline FX bypass does just that, bypassing the AU effect that's inline, after the actual instrument (AU, sampler, cello) but before the mixer. By default bypass is on since there are no inline effects configured. If you turn the bypass off, the sound will go through the inline effect. If you haven't set up an inline effect at this stage, you will hear nothing. Note that this is different from the two send/return effects that are available in the mixer, it's really an inline effect for each instrument.

Hope this helps,

Geert

written by: GoneCaving

Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:10:32 +0100 BST

I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused by this. The fact that there's no sound if there's no FX assigned caused considerably head-scratching in the early days. Could the code be changed to pass through the audio in that case?

Wed, 26 Sep 2012 21:46:11 +0100 BST

@carvingcode, that's exactly what it does now, it's when it's not bypassed that you hear nothing unless there's an actual effect plugin there. Otherwise there's just nothing to handle the audio stream.

Wed, 26 Sep 2012 21:46:42 +0100 BST

@GoneCaving has a good suggestion. Bypass, on every plugin I own, simply bypasses the plugin. The raw audio signal - at that point - is passed thru. This should be the function of the bypass in Stage, whether on the mixer or the AU/VST tab.

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 03:17:04 +0100 BST

Remember that most of us are using some form of Factory setups. Shouldn't the bypass buttons be set to 'off' by default?

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 07:32:50 +0100 BST

No, because there are no effects in those slots in the factory setups, with the bypasses set to off there would be no sound at all coming from any of the instruments.

Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:07:56 +0100 BST

OK. But this is not how effects bypass works in any other situation I'm aware, either in a host or within the effects plugin itself. The bypass either lets the audio thru unchanged (in bypass mode) or adds the effects processing to the audio signal.

If you need [?] to leave it like this it should be highlighted in the documentation. It's confusing.

[/end]

Please log in to join the discussions