Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Studiying Pico

Most Recent

written by: carvingCode

It's tricky. On Pico, I like the Pentatonic scale. Lots of interesting melodic and harmonic possibilities with the limited keys. That and bass lines and blues riffs all work well.

The Fingerer agent was designed to extend the possibilities, so you may look into that.

Randy

written by: Low_Pressure

Wed, 5 Sep 2012 16:33:23 +0100 BST

Need a word of advice, folks. I've just returned from one field trip and going back in the field again. But now, hopefully, with ESI UGM96 (if it will be delivered in time) and Pico, so I might actually have some time to play with it.

Let's presume the software will work fine, and there won't be any driver related troubles (which will be bad, because there won't be internet). I really have no idea where to start. Reading from the first page is boring, what do you guys and girls do? Play scales? Improvising? Covering popular songs?

Wed, 5 Sep 2012 21:15:07 +0100 BST

Improvising is always a fun thing. Depending on what your background is and how much you've worked with the Pico so far, you might find it interesting to get to know the instrument.

Play music. Get to know the instrument. Play better music. Get to know the instrument better.

Have fun.

written by: Bongo35

Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:55:19 +0100 BST

Good advice carvingcode.

Low_Pressure, What you may want to look at is how you get to know the instruent better. What technique works best so that you can get over the instrument quickly and accurately.

I find starting with some simple exercises up and down the instrument is helpful

cd-de-ef-fg-
cde-def-efg-fga
and so in in groiups of 4, 5, 6 notes etc This strengthens all the fingers

The usual arpeggios are good (with inversions) c-e-g- e-g-c- g-c-e etc
and then do this with 6ths, 7ths, etc depending on what musical knowledge you already have.

Then slap on a drum and a bass loop and just jam away.

I hope I wasn't trying to teach granny's to suck eggs here, but the PICO is not the easist of keyboards to master and it does take some time.

I would be interested in everyone's view, but I find playing a tune difficult on the PICO. Chromatically, you only have just over an Octave and playing a tune that stays rigidly in the same key without any accidentals is hard to find. But as an improvisational tool it is excellent

Dave

Mon, 10 Sep 2012 18:52:07 +0100 BST

It's tricky. On Pico, I like the Pentatonic scale. Lots of interesting melodic and harmonic possibilities with the limited keys. That and bass lines and blues riffs all work well.

The Fingerer agent was designed to extend the possibilities, so you may look into that.

Randy

Please log in to join the discussions