Forum rss-feed

Forum

Developers: Belcanto script snippet collector

Most Recent

written by: dkah

I had my Belcanto script snippets mixed in with my usual notes, on stickies, in Evernote and everywhere on my Mac. Then I stumbled upon code snippet apps on the net and tried some out. Thought this may interest some of you.
The one I like most and now use is Code Collector Pro, you can find it in the Mac Store and its free. Its not cloud based (sorry my bad, sharing is possible, but only over their service), but I need my Belcanto in one place only (you can still export in xml or plain text). What I like is that you can put your own scripting languages in there, it should work with Textmate bundles for syntax highlighting, but I didn't get this part to work. But Belcanto has only keywords, so syntax highlighting isn't very useful anyway. You can label the snippets/scripts and have them automatically in the same group, the other group has Supercollider examples ;-). You can put a source link in, very useful to finding the web page or forum thread again and tags and a very important description, which is missing in other Apps. What it also doesn't do, is give you shortcuts, to paste your snippets, but I need more of a collector and less of an expander. What I miss is the possibility to snip from the web browser and have the source automatically filled in.
The other ones I tried were Dash (now costs something and you need to define a abbreviation, which I hate, no description, no source links possible, but very cool for more standard languages if you need an expander and is has docs included) and CodeBox (also costs, less intuitive, sharing over cloud (third party) possible, description and links in asset notes possible, but not separated, alternatives possible, there are some bugs in the asset management UI that make it hard to use) and the simple not code specific one I used til now was nvAlt (cloud, no groups, not really an extra description or source link possible, but can interpret javascript on the fly).

written by: dkah

Sun, 19 Aug 2012 21:28:56 +0100 BST

I had my Belcanto script snippets mixed in with my usual notes, on stickies, in Evernote and everywhere on my Mac. Then I stumbled upon code snippet apps on the net and tried some out. Thought this may interest some of you.
The one I like most and now use is Code Collector Pro, you can find it in the Mac Store and its free. Its not cloud based (sorry my bad, sharing is possible, but only over their service), but I need my Belcanto in one place only (you can still export in xml or plain text). What I like is that you can put your own scripting languages in there, it should work with Textmate bundles for syntax highlighting, but I didn't get this part to work. But Belcanto has only keywords, so syntax highlighting isn't very useful anyway. You can label the snippets/scripts and have them automatically in the same group, the other group has Supercollider examples ;-). You can put a source link in, very useful to finding the web page or forum thread again and tags and a very important description, which is missing in other Apps. What it also doesn't do, is give you shortcuts, to paste your snippets, but I need more of a collector and less of an expander. What I miss is the possibility to snip from the web browser and have the source automatically filled in.
The other ones I tried were Dash (now costs something and you need to define a abbreviation, which I hate, no description, no source links possible, but very cool for more standard languages if you need an expander and is has docs included) and CodeBox (also costs, less intuitive, sharing over cloud (third party) possible, description and links in asset notes possible, but not separated, alternatives possible, there are some bugs in the asset management UI that make it hard to use) and the simple not code specific one I used til now was nvAlt (cloud, no groups, not really an extra description or source link possible, but can interpret javascript on the fly).

Please log in to join the discussions