Forum rss-feed

Forum

Workbench: Multi midi input control + routing

Most Recent

written by: MarkPowell

That's what I was missing - much appreciated as always Geert. I'll try and knock together a wiki article this weekend as promised. Cheers, Mark.

written by: stuwyatt

Mon, 13 Aug 2012 05:48:21 +0100 BST

Hi.

I know that there is a limited midi input map in the standard EigenD where you can select one midi input, and you can control some of the basic features of EigenD (scales,keys,setups etc). Can this be extended using workbench?

Is it possible to trigger scripts, or route certain parts of a midi controller to certain plugins?

To give you one example, I have a Korg half damper pedal that I would eventually like to route into a Kontakt piano library. That pedal is plugged into a Roland FC-200 midi pedalboard - and I'd like those FC's main pedals to change the keys/scales within EigenD.

Also, Ideally I'd like to run Mobius (the looping software) as a master fx plugin within EigenD - and that itself would need various midi control surfaces routed to it.

I know that a lot of what I'm asking for could be handled with a good hosting sofware, but I'm trying to keep CPU overheads down (and finances, if I need something like LIVE).

So, to save me potentially wasting energy on a failed project, is Workbench able to do what I'm asking? Or should I look down the hosting route?

I'm finding the learning curve quite extreme at the moment, and it certainly isn't fatigue compatible...lol... but I am making a lot of progress. It's an awesome piece of kit :)

written by: geert

Fri, 17 Aug 2012 17:39:35 +0100 BST

Hi Stu,

Yes this is possible but it's currently a bit limited due to the nature of the MIDI Input agent. You can trigger any talker based on MIDI note inputs and you can wire any CC value to any agent data input port. I've actually actively been looking at this personally this weekend since I'm doing exactly the same and I did find a few inconsistencies in the current MIDI Input agent, which should be fixed now for the next EigenD release.

In short, with EigenD 2.0.62 you'll be able to do what you want with certain limitations, you might have to reprogram the MIDI pedal board a bit to adhere to those. I'll give more details, possibly with a video tutorial when it's available since it does open of a wealth of new live performance possibilities.

Take care,

Geert

written by: stuwyatt

Mon, 13 Aug 2012 23:33:34 +0100 BST

That's great news. Thanks Geert. :)

Sat, 23 Feb 2013 00:05:00 +0000 GMT

Did anything ever get written up with this? I presume the changes were released as planned and I'm trying to connect MIDI CC's to EigenD parameters (mixed volume etc.) and struggling a bit. Can anyone advise what to do please?

Sat, 23 Feb 2013 08:47:44 +0000 GMT

This was added to the MIDI Input agent, but I didn't get around to writing a tutorial about it specifically. However, it looks like the current documentation of the MIDI Input agent is up to date and you should be able to base yourself on it: http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/MIDI_Input/

Sat, 23 Feb 2013 09:47:48 +0000 GMT

Thanks for the reply Geert. I looked at the Midi Input agent last night, but can't seem to get it to do what I want. To point me in the right direction, could someone tell me what I'd do if I want to take CC1 and send to Parameter 1 on an Audio Unit agent and take CC2 and send to Volume on a Console Mixer channel? I'm sure it's me being 'hard of thinking' but I can't get it to work. I'm happy to write a proper tutorial for the wiki if someone can get me working.

Sat, 23 Feb 2013 12:33:16 +0000 GMT

Connect the Continuous Controller output to Parameter 1 and edit the connection with the edit tool to set the filter on 1, this will filter out only the CC messages for wire 1 and get you CC1 ... similar for the others.

Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:11:06 +0000 GMT

That's what I was missing - much appreciated as always Geert. I'll try and knock together a wiki article this weekend as promised. Cheers, Mark.

Please log in to join the discussions