Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: How to set MIDI port in EigenD ?

Most Recent

written by: geert

EigenD 2.0.74 has been released with additional Stage tabs for all factory setups to provide an easy way to browse for MIDI ports.

written by: benjamind2008

Mon, 13 Aug 2012 04:02:37 +0100 BST

Hi,

I've forgotten how to set MIDI port in EigenD. I remember I've done it before, but I can't seem to remember how it's done. I'm using a MIDI Loopback driver called LoopMIDI and have added 2 virtual ports.

I'm not sure how to get EigenD to use those virtual ports. If anyone could help me I'd be really grateful.

Thanks
Ben

Mon, 13 Aug 2012 06:45:37 +0100 BST

Hi Ben,

The quick reference guides contain the details of the key to press to browse for MIDI ports with the EigenBrowser. If you tell us which instrument and EigenD version you're using, I can point you to the exact page.

Best regards,

Geert

Mon, 13 Aug 2012 07:58:22 +0100 BST

Hi geert,

I'm using EigenD 1.4.12 and I'm using it with a Pico. I'm about to register the Pico ;)

It's on page 10 of the set up guide. But I can't get it to work, how do you get it to the MIDI mode and then do the MIDI output port, I can't seem to do it. I press what seems to be the right keys, but how do you get into the "sub-mode" after you choose the MIDI OUT mode, what key combination do you press to get to the MIDI port part?

Ben

Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:38:11 +0100 BST

Hi Ben,

Here are the steps:

* open the EigenBrowser from the EigenD menu
* press the main mode key on the Pico and hold it
* press the 'Instrument FX/Control' key (4 in the reference guide)
* release the mode key
* press the secondary mode key which is the top-left most playing key on the diagram of the reference guide (right most closest playing key when looking down the pico)
* hold the secondary mode key
* press the 'Midi & Audio control key' (see section 4 of quick reference guide)
* release the secondary mode key
* now you're in the MIDI Out control mode
* look at page 16 for the available functionalities
* when you press 'MIDI output port browse' you'll see the available MIDI ports in the Eigenbrowser
* select the one you want using either the mouse or the Pico scroll keys
* press the main mode key and hold it
* select the MIDI output instrument

You should be able to play with the MIDI output now.

If you save your setup, you'll not have the select the MIDI output device anymore afterwared.

Best regards,

Geert

Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:26:09 +0100 BST

Thanks for the tip Geert. It will help me a lot. I completely forgot how to do it after a few months not using the Eigenharp. I should be able to get it working now ;)

Ben

written by: keyman

Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:18:08 +0100 BST

STAGE is just wonderful for this type of control
Here's my PICO MIDI tab
http://c368672.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/wiki_464_keyman_MIDI_1.els

Fri, 24 Aug 2012 07:31:52 +0100 BST

Thanks for that keyman, I'll be sure to give it a workout tonight ;)

written by: Radnor

Wed, 12 Dec 2012 00:30:45 +0000 GMT

The steps provided by Geert don't work for me. I have a Pico with 2.0.72-stable running on a white MacBook with 10.8.

The "press the secondary mode key which is the top-left most playing key" step does not apparently do anything. I don't seem to ever get into "MIDI Out control mode."

I want to connect the Pico to an instance of RealGuitar running on the same white MacBook. I've spent two evenings after work trying to make this connection but still no luck.

I've been working with digital instruments for 25 years and this is as convoluted a setup as I've seen since my Apple II/Yamaha days. I've also been a UI designer for 10 years so I know you have lots of work (including technical writing) to do. :-)

Thanks!

written by: keyman

Wed, 12 Dec 2012 03:26:05 +0000 GMT

@Radnor
I just followed the steps and can't be more detailed then that...

other ways:
Belcanto
open EigenBrowser and EigenCommander, type this:
empty join
eigenbrowser hey
midi output 1 port browse

(each sentence followed by enter)

STAGE
download the above STAGE tab and load it up, there you have all the functions of the MIDI OUT.

In the meantime Eigenlabs will be updating the setups to include a MIDI STAGE tab.

You mention trying to connect with RealGuitar, if this is a plug-ins, EigenD can be a host; besides, it should "see" Eigenlabs MIDI output...

Hope this help in some way, and don't hesitate asking help on here!
keyman

::edit::
On RealGuitar - Compatibility- its says it can be an VST/AU, why don't use it this way, inside EigenD??

written by: Radnor

Sat, 15 Dec 2012 22:59:22 +0000 GMT

Thanks for the info, key man, but nothing has worked yet. In geert's instructions, after these steps ...
--
* press the 'Midi & Audio control key' (see section 4 of quick reference guide)
* release the secondary mode key
--
... I am not in the MIDI Out mode. Nothing happens at all.

If I use your steps, after ...
--
eigenbrowser hey
--
... nothing happens for a long, long time. Then your Stage tab appears (after I manually eliminate all of the default MIDI tabs) with all the options dimmed out.

Then, after a longer time, the Eigenbrowser appears with RealGuitar AU and VST as options. When I select RealGuitar AU as the option, the indicator turns amber and I get no output from the Pico. Then, after a little while longer, the Eigenbrowser, completely on its own, shifts to RealGuitar VST with an amber light. Needless to say, RealGuitar VST doesn't work either. If I bring the RealGuitar plugin interface to the foreground, the Eigenbrowser pushes it into the background again with its useless selection,

The Pico's hardware is interesting but the software isn't even beta quality. I like to support endeavors like Eigenharp's, but to pay more than 200 USD for only 6 month's access to such low-quality software makes me feel a bit ripped off. A company should develop a working product *before* they begin asking to much money for it.

If anyone is interested in buying a used Pico, please let me know. I'll be selling this instrument and looking for other musical options that can at least offer basic functionality (such as MIDI Out).

Thanks again!

Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:46:11 +0000 GMT

EigenD 2.0.74 has been released with additional Stage tabs for all factory setups to provide an easy way to browse for MIDI ports.

Please log in to join the discussions