Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Using Kontakt 5: problem loading new instruments

Most Recent

written by: 0beron

I'd noticed this with kontakt, and get frequent hangups when using its GUI, that can be worked around by pressing a few keys on the harp to wake it up. Any chance that plugins like this could be made active when the user is mousing around in the GUI? Then the interface would respond while you are editing stuff, and still go idle correctly while you are playing and the mouse isn't in use.

written by: JDune

Sun, 29 Jul 2012 06:51:00 +0100 BST

I know a number of you are using Native Instrument's Kontakt 5, hope you have an answer for this.

I can get EigenD VST/AU slots (Alpha) to open Kontakt 5 and load the first instrument with no problem. But when I try to close that instrument (using the Kontakt GUI), it locks up the program (EigenD immediately goes "idle" on Windows 7 machine, with spinning beach ball in Lion on new MacBook Pro.). I.e., I can't close a piano sound and open a guitar sound--EigenD freezes/crashes.

I'm using Stage to interface, of course.

I CAN go back to Stage, click on Browse, select Native Instruments, select Kontakt 5, and safely get a blank instance of Kontakt 5. Then open the GUI in Stage, and load an instrument... This works fine, even though this process means I never shut down either the earlier running instance of Kontakt, and also didn't unload the previously running instrument. But, it works anyway. (Though I may / may not be generating an enormous drain on memory-- I can't tell, and I have 16 Gb of memory in each of the machines, and the samples are loading off of SSD or USB 3 drives, so maybe it just isn't showing...)

Obviously I just want to be able to change instruments in K5, or add a second simultaneously sounding instrument, the way K5 is designed to do.

I've confirmed identical behavior under Windows 7 and OS X Lion, and identical behavior under EigenD 1.4.12 Stable and 2.0.58. I've also confirmed that K5 works as it should as stand-alone on each platform (so probably not a hardware problem here), and that it works as it should as a VST plug in other hosts in Windows 7. Also confirmed that EigenD allows program changes for Alchemy, (which doesn't load samples), and that it properly allows program changes / instrument reloads for Omnisphere, which does load samples...

Those of you who are using Kontakt--how are you changing Instruments?

Thanks!

JD

written by: keyman

Sun, 29 Jul 2012 11:50:31 +0100 BST

Hi JDune...

I do use heavily Kontakt; and the "idle" state that you refer it's actually the tail time parameter for each AU/VST slot in EigenD. When x Slot where Kontakt is loaded has no "traffic of information" it idles (not just with Kontakt but also other plugins).

To solve/handle this situation, first be aware of this, then either disable the tail time completely or set it higher (but this will not cure it cos if you put down the Eigeharp and then go change the instrument probably its idle again...)
By simply touch any key where K5 is running, resolve changing instruments in K5.

I have talkers to change midi Ch where are different instruments loaded inside K5, using it as a multitimbral plugin, works wonders!

Please check the the wiki for this ...

cheers
keyman

written by: geert

Sun, 29 Jul 2012 12:17:39 +0100 BST

Keyman is totally right about this. I just want to add a technical remark here. What the tail time parameter does is turn off the processing in the AU/VST plugin when the tail time has been exceeded. This can greatly reduce the amount of CPU usage that EigenD consumes by only processing the plugins that are actually in use. Certain plugins sadly tie their GUI to the actual audio rendering that the plugin has to do, meaning that if you stop rendering audio, you essential stop the GUI also. The NI plugins are especially prone to this. So you either change the tail time for that particular AU/VST agent, or you send it a signal (like a key press) to activate the plugin and in this case also the GUI.

Take care,

Geert

written by: 0beron

Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:12:35 +0100 BST

I'd noticed this with kontakt, and get frequent hangups when using its GUI, that can be worked around by pressing a few keys on the harp to wake it up. Any chance that plugins like this could be made active when the user is mousing around in the GUI? Then the interface would respond while you are editing stuff, and still go idle correctly while you are playing and the mouse isn't in use.

Please log in to join the discussions