Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Pico

Most Recent

written by: Tenebrous

I do think that things could be improved regarding feedback on the Pico which would make it a bit more friendly when learning to play it.

There are a few situations where you get no response via LEDs where even a little flash would help, i.e. when you arm an instrument for recording - A few times I pressed the button twice just to make sure. A little flash of the LED would be reassuring (plus also perhaps when you hold the mode key, flash or otherwise indicate which instrument(s) are armed).

Anyway, as Geert said, it does take time to master, and practice is the key!

written by: LAYER8

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:06:41 +0000 GMT

john said:
Hi

That idea only really makes sense for one setup, in fact for Factory Setup 1. There are already several different setups with other arrangements, and running scripts can alter the setup drastically as well. In fact, the way the instrument is laid out is very very 'soft' - it can be remodelled in all sorts of ways.

I can see that a generic UI will be very hard to implement given the flexibility of the system and even if it could be implemented, it may not be on an abstraction level that would be of any help. But there is still the issue of those wanting to learn - not only play the Eigenharp but play music in general - and I think at least the Pico is directly aimed at those people. I'm one of them. I mor or less need some visual feedback.

A helpful UI for me may need to be based on / linked to user setups. It should show me the current setitngs (instrument, tonic, scale, ...) and the available settings (like available instruments, scales and so on) with the key mappings. If the UI also allows to change settings, even better.

I imagine a UI framework, where someone creating a user setup can create an according UI and changing setups will load the new UI. Maybe even allow multiple UIs one of them being the default (which also can be none / null). And yes, running scripts may break the UIs. But I would accept this.

written by: geert

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:05:28 +0000 GMT

Having been playing the Eigenharp for 4 months now, I can say that I actually don't think this graphical UI would be a good idea. Just as with any instrument, the Eigenharp simply takes time to master. Having a mental picture and understanding of the key layouts is part of this. While it might be a steep learning curve at first, I think it immensely pays off afterwards. Imagine having to learn a foreign language with another alphabet and never learning the new characters by hard, yet always looks at a mapping to be able to read these characters. This is a bad approach. It's much saner to just get it over with, bite the bullet and do a bit of studying.

written by: Tenebrous

Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:18:54 +0000 GMT

I do think that things could be improved regarding feedback on the Pico which would make it a bit more friendly when learning to play it.

There are a few situations where you get no response via LEDs where even a little flash would help, i.e. when you arm an instrument for recording - A few times I pressed the button twice just to make sure. A little flash of the LED would be reassuring (plus also perhaps when you hold the mode key, flash or otherwise indicate which instrument(s) are armed).

Anyway, as Geert said, it does take time to master, and practice is the key!

Please log in to join the discussions