Forum rss-feed

Forum

Tau: Adding VSTs?

Most Recent

written by: byakuganace

No problem at all! The knobs and keys are rather confusing. It's nice to have that much versatility though, especially when using it in conjunction with the Eigenharp.

I just added a nice percussion VST to AU 4. Sounds pretty good if I do say so myself. Now to figure out the guitar/strum on percussion keys like I've seen Geert do before in several videos. It's a really cool idea!

I've been messing around with some plucked string voices and the change from plucking to tapping is throwing me off! I know exactly where you're coming from with that point. I'll be experimenting further. That's the beauty of Eigenharping.

Happy harpin'
Ace

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 02:54:44 +0100 BST

I've been playing my Eigenharp Tau happily for nearly a week now, learning the basics and getting the feel for the instrument. I still absolutely love it, but now I'd like to expand my instrument base a bit by adding some VSTs. I've searched around the 'net, but I can't manage to find any information about adding VSTs to the Tau (there are tutorials for the Alpha and Pico). I'd like to start by just adding Halion Sonic SE. From there I can add the rest on my own.

To start off, I can't seem to locate Halion's .dll to add to the Plugin Scanner of EigenD. I've managed to locate .dlls for other VSTs I have, but they won't load on my instrument and I have no way of opening up the plugin window (it doesn't show up in the Window bar) in EigenD.

I'm likely overlooking something huge here (being new and all). Can someone please lend me a hand?

Thanks!
Ace

written by: motic

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:52:49 +0100 BST

Did you scan again after adding the dll?
Look at the menu 'Tools/Plugin scanner', add the paths and scan.

Moreno

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:11:58 +0100 BST

I selected the pathways for the dlls that I want to use and then clicked scan. The software says that they are good plugins, but I don't know how to access them past that, on Tau or EigenD.

Ace

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:45:17 +0100 BST

Ok, from EigenD open the browser
on the tau select split 1 with mode key
select with the advanced mode key AU/1 (manual page 11)
tap the browse key (page 18)
in the browser the vst's will show up
(if anybody more skilled has a better one...don't be shy...)
You really need to look in the manual for the keys.
Hope this helps
Moreno

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:09:17 +0100 BST

Moreno,

Thanks a ton for the help. All of the new terminology is making my head spin, but with your help I sorted it out. I'm now happily selecting VSTs! One last question...where can I find Halion Sonic SE's plugin on my computer? I already have it installed but cannot find the .dll.

Thanks a ton!

Ace

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:22:08 +0100 BST

OK ! now we're talking :-)
About the Halion can't help you there, was searching my self for it and i've found one on my steinberg dir "c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2\" an HalionOne, added the path but starting it up i don't have any voice in it, sorry...
Moreno

p.s. try Totalcommander (free use) to search through yur drive.

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:24:52 +0100 BST

Also search the net for superwavep8 (free) and trance-pro (not free but demo)
They both work with ED
Moreno

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:32:24 +0100 BST

Thanks again!

I pinned down the Halion .dll (it was in a Shared Components file), but when I run it through plugin scanner it fails, which is odd since I have often seen the Eigenharp demonstrated in conjunction with Halion SE's versatility. This seems like a problem for another day.

Since I am here and able to ask, I'm looking to add a percussive VST to sampler 3 on the percussion keys. I've flipped to the advanced controls page of the manual, but I'm not sure which key I should be pressing to browse for it. I am not using a soundfont, so I don't see how the soundfont browse buttons could be of any help... Suggestions? :)

And an odd question: what is the default pathway for Alchemy's .dll? I accidentally clicked remove in the plugin scanner and now I can't find it! (Woops...)

Thanks for your patience and support!
Ace

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:36:06 +0100 BST

Well, mine is in Programfiles x86/Cakewalk/vstplugins, not sure where your is cause the rest i have given a VST dir on another drive....
As for the percussion keys and the sampler, i don't use them much and i'm new myself, so the rest has to jump in on this one.
Btw, no problem, i know my self how frustrating was searching my way in the new instrument the first days... glad i could give 'some' help in my 'humble noobiness' anyway, i have the thing only two months now, so, sometimes, i don't know where i'm talking about my self ;-)
take care
Moreno

written by: geert

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:48:01 +0100 BST

A side note, quite a few of Cubase included VSTs are VST3 only, which at the moment are not yet supported by EigenD and very few other hosts for that matter. Also, some of the included instruments are simply not available for use outside of Cubase, just as is the case for the instruments that are included in Logic on the Mac. Often, the only way to play them is by going over the Eigenharp MIDI out into the the MIDI input of your DAW. For this to work on Windows, you'll have to install a virtual MIDI driver like LoopBe, on MacOSX this is included in the operating system.

Hope this helps,

Geert

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:01:56 +0100 BST

Personally, i'm new in DAW land too so... but i had an idea that the '2' on one of my VST directories wasn't there for nothing :-) ... so there are also vst3's around... nice to know!
Enough problems understanding which (32 or 64 bit) are install/usable and which not causeEigenD is 32 bit, i believe?!.
After adding all my vst path's i have:
Alchemy
Minimoog V Original
Minimoog vOriginalFX
Trance pro (demo)
Guitar Rig 4
Reaktor 5
SuperwaveP8
Omnisphere
StylusRMX
Trillian
U-HE Diva
.. all working except, as i said, HalionOne, which may work reinstalling it 'cause is with Cubase 5 in my case so i think it's a normal vst.

Moreno

written by: carvingCode

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:06:23 +0100 BST

Geert mentioned Loopbe. Read through previous threads here. I used Loopbe on W7 with good success after I upgraded to the non-free version. It's not much cash and allows you to set a Loopbe setting that manages the enormous amount of MIDI data being sent. The free version does not handled this well.

Randy

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:08:51 +0100 BST

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Moreno, I managed to find it after a quick search through the Eigenlabs folder in my Program Files (x86) directory. It's back up and running now! I know exactly the feeling of "noobiness" and I'm glad that there are people who are kind enough to tolerate such people.

Geert and Randy, thank you for the heads-up. Next on my Tau agenda is syncing up with Cuabse 6 and exploring the versatility of editing parameters after-the-fact. I'm very glad that this was touched upon here, as it saved me a ton of trouble and hair-tearing. Since I couldn't get Halion Sonic SE to cooperate, I installed Synth1, an oldie, but a wonderful free VST nonetheless with 900+ voices. Thanks!

Since Moreno seems stumped on the front of adding a VST to Sampler 3, can either of you shed some light on this? I'd just like to have the drum VST that I added to Cubase available for 'harping.

Thanks to all of you!
Ace

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:41:00 +0100 BST

Hey Ace, do you know (and willing to share) how to get the free Megapack (and recognized?) in the Synth1?
Copying in the data dir doesn't seem to work... have copied the .sy files in the bank1 to bank5 and now they show up but... is there another way to do it?
Moreno

written by: geert

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:47:57 +0100 BST

Ace, I'm not sure what you're trying to do with 'adding a VST to Sampler 3'. Do you mean that you want to replace the sampler instrument by a VST instrument? That's not an easy feat and quite advanced topic, largely facilitated by the use of Workbench. You're probably best off using the Audio Unit/VST 3 & 4 instruments on the percussion keys instead.

Geert

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:16:57 +0100 BST

Moreno,

All 111 banks of Synth1 can be found for download here: http://veryrandomstreams.blogspot.com/2012/03/over-10000-free-patchessounds-for-free.html

Extract the original .zip file, but leave all of the banks zipped.

Once you've downloaded the banks, locate the plugin with your DAW and open the Synth1 window where you select sounds, alter parameters, etc. From here, click Opt (the button under Write). There should be a category labelled ExtBank(zip) folder with a pathway written in. Select browse and show the plugin the pathway to the folder containing your (still zipped) banks.

Hit ok. There should be a pause as your computer searches through the banks. Synth1 may become unresponsive for a few seconds, but bear with it! Once everything is loaded, click the area which displays the current voice to pull up the bank. Select the External (.zip) bank and voila, your presets should all be available. Happy playing!

Geert,

The second suggestion sounds more like what I am after. I somehow totally overlook the option to load Audio Units in the percussion keys (foolish of me). I'm all set now, thanks a ton!

Ace

Wed, 18 Jul 2012 01:21:13 +0100 BST

Thanks very much Ace, i overlooked those two knobs down there, thinking "i'm not ready to WRITE anything yet" forgot the OPT all together, he he... to many knobs, to many keys, to much information... that 'grey matter' of mine starts turning purple.
Actually i knew that one, somewhere back of my head but as i said, don't use the perc.keys much, primarily 'cause have more latency problems when i use them.
Btw, a tip: try to slide from key to key... having also a Chapman Stick and having used the tap-pluck technique, sometimes i find myself even plucking the keys, hi hi, no strings here, i'm afraid, so impossible :-), but i, personally, like to do that very much... slide man, slide!

Moreno

Wed, 18 Jul 2012 23:07:16 +0100 BST

No problem at all! The knobs and keys are rather confusing. It's nice to have that much versatility though, especially when using it in conjunction with the Eigenharp.

I just added a nice percussion VST to AU 4. Sounds pretty good if I do say so myself. Now to figure out the guitar/strum on percussion keys like I've seen Geert do before in several videos. It's a really cool idea!

I've been messing around with some plucked string voices and the change from plucking to tapping is throwing me off! I know exactly where you're coming from with that point. I'll be experimenting further. That's the beauty of Eigenharping.

Happy harpin'
Ace

Please log in to join the discussions