Forum rss-feed

Forum

Sounds: Clarinet: extra "chiff"

Most Recent

written by: martinthompson

On 2.0.64, the clarinet has a 'click' (like an absence of cross-fade) when played legato (ie continuous breathing) - only if a second key is pressed before releasing the first (which is kind of a requirement for legato). If one key is released and then another pressed, no click occurs...

Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:31:43 +0100 BST

When I pay legato on the clarinet, there's a small extra "chiff' sound, such as would appear at the start of a new 'blow', but (to my ears) shouldn't be there when continuously blowing and moving from one note to another.

Is that to be expected? Is there anything I can configure to reduce/eliminate it?

Thanks,
Martin

written by: john

Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:59:44 +0100 BST

Hi Martin

No, that doesn't sound quite right. Does it happen when you're using the fingering setup (the new one in Experimental Setups->Pico-Fingerer) as well?

John

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:53:21 +0100 BST

Thanks for the suggestion John - can you elaborate please? How do I get to the experimental setups?

written by: john

Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:57:18 +0100 BST

They're in the latest 2.0 Testing releases, there's a new top level setups category 'Experimental' that has a Pico + Fingerer setup in the 'Pico' sub category. You can find that here.

Jim is going to have look into that chiffing sound, there may be a fix in the next 2.X release if we can find what it is.

John

Thu, 19 Jul 2012 19:25:04 +0100 BST

Ahah, I was only running .56 - I'll install .58 and report back...

Thu, 19 Jul 2012 19:55:43 +0100 BST

Hi John,

The clarinet fingerer doesn't have the chiffing. And on further careful observation, the problem may be that I am releasing one finger fractionally before the next one goes down. I *think* it's reduced if I press the 2nd key and then release the 1st (which I guess would make sense).

Thanks,
Martin

Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:58:24 +0100 BST

On 2.0.64, the clarinet has a 'click' (like an absence of cross-fade) when played legato (ie continuous breathing) - only if a second key is pressed before releasing the first (which is kind of a requirement for legato). If one key is released and then another pressed, no click occurs...

Please log in to join the discussions