Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Everything has become horribly flaky.

Most Recent

written by: motic

Please forgive my 2cts on this, i know you are on a mac @toaster, and @john, the 1.4 has to be stable if i hear you talking, but me?... on my 'win' environment, no can be!, not saying 'it's not stable', i only say 'it didn't work for me together with my system.
Was glad i could d'load the 2.0.48-exp at the time which 'finally' gave me the possibility to play my tau in a normal way, which was not possible with the 1.4 on my system and still using that one!
Upgrade to 2.0.56-test, crash after crash... only saying: it's probably more of an 'own system+eigend version' issue than an EigenD issue on it's own, i believe.
Again, i know you'r using osx but...may i advise to try the 2.0.48-exp?
It installs on the side so you don't lose your 1.4 or mess up with it, so... why not?

Moreno

written by: Toaster

Wed, 4 Jul 2012 06:05:30 +0100 BST

In the past hour, I've tried multiple times to fire up the Tau and get it to play music. In that time: Eigen D has crashed or become unresponsive. The 'default' set up loads but my user set ups do not. The instrument goes 'dark' (no lights), and frankly I would be ready to throw this out of the window, if I hadn't paid so much money for it. I'm not sure what to do here. I'd "give 2 a try" if I didn't have to shell out MORE to see if it solves the problems I am experiencing or what.

written by: john

Wed, 4 Jul 2012 11:45:15 +0100 BST

Hi

If you haven't updated EigenD and your system has become flaky when using it it's unlikley to be EigenD that's the problem, it's more likely that something else has changed and caused problems. Could you describe your system to us (OS, Audio Interface, amount of memory etc)? And what version of EigenD are you running? It might help to see what's going wrong. Also, please try using the bug reporter - this sends us a load of useful information and can make diagnosing issues a lot easier. Could you also confirm that this isn't a new install of EigenD, ie, on a new computer?

One thing to check is also to make sure that you have all your instrument cables firmly plugged in and latched. We had someone report intermittent flakiness like this a year or so ago, and that's what it turned out to be - when the connectors are only partially connected they can occasionally work intermittently and cause effects like this and it's surprisingly easy to make that mistake with those little Neutrik connectors, which are neat but less positive than we'd like.

You shouldn't need to update to 2.0 for any major stability reasons. The last 1.4 release was very stable - a lot of people are still using it in live situations quite comfortably and as far as we're aware the OS vendors haven't broken it yet. 2.0 does have some stability improvements over 1.4 but nothing that should be troubling you, we worked hard to make 1.4 a good reference release.

2.0 brings you a much more powerful system and we think, due to the extensve testing and hundreds of bugfixes we've commited in the last six months, that it's probably our most stable EigenD to date, but you really don't need it to play your Tau.

John

written by: carvingCode

Wed, 4 Jul 2012 15:31:35 +0100 BST

@Toaster - John mentioned sending in a Bug Report from EigenD. DO this if you haven't yet. I've had a few issues over the past couple years that a fix was discovered by the contents sent to EigenLabs via the Bug Report. EigenLabs is quite good about looking into issues.

Randy

written by: Toaster

Wed, 4 Jul 2012 17:12:27 +0100 BST

I did check the cables, having made the mistake of not having them plugged in on enough occasions to make it embarrassing. The system itself has not changed at all; I'm on a Mac, running oSX 10.7.4, running out through an "audio 8 DJ" from NI. I'll see if I can replicate any of these irritants and file proper bugs. Forgive the tone of my post, it's frustrating when you 'just want to play' and can't.

written by: motic

Mon, 9 Jul 2012 19:14:55 +0100 BST

Please forgive my 2cts on this, i know you are on a mac @toaster, and @john, the 1.4 has to be stable if i hear you talking, but me?... on my 'win' environment, no can be!, not saying 'it's not stable', i only say 'it didn't work for me together with my system.
Was glad i could d'load the 2.0.48-exp at the time which 'finally' gave me the possibility to play my tau in a normal way, which was not possible with the 1.4 on my system and still using that one!
Upgrade to 2.0.56-test, crash after crash... only saying: it's probably more of an 'own system+eigend version' issue than an EigenD issue on it's own, i believe.
Again, i know you'r using osx but...may i advise to try the 2.0.48-exp?
It installs on the side so you don't lose your 1.4 or mess up with it, so... why not?

Moreno

Please log in to join the discussions