Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: A couple of quick ones..

Most Recent

written by: john

Hi Eigenstein

There is no global tuning in EigenD, you need to adjust the tuning of oscillators separately (which you can usually do with Stage). We have thought about adding something to make this more convenient (it's technically possible, it just needs a little work), but in two years we've only had people even ask about it twice (including this time) so it's not a feature that's very high on the list at the moment. We've never been nagged about it either, which is usually the way to get a new feature higher up the implementation list - feel free to change that if it's important to you. It's probably is something that we ought to have, it just hasn't seemed particularly vital to anybody so far as most now tune to 440 and the days of the whole band tuning to the wildly out harmonica player seem to be behind us.

As far as violin sounds go, we don't ship one for free with EigenD, but there are literally hundreds of AU/VST instruments available that make violin type noises. Most of them have free demo periods and I'd be very interested to hear if you (or anyone else here) has good results with their 'harp and any of them.

John

written by: Eigenstein

Tue, 19 Jun 2012 01:52:57 +0100 BST

Ok, supern00b here. I just hooked up this Pico and started making noises with it. There certainly is a learning curve..

Two questions..

Firstly, how do I load a violin into slot #5? (Come to think of it, how do you even see what's in what slot? Is there not a GUI that shows this?)

Secondly, how do I change the reference pitch of all instruments? I'm assuming that these Eigenharps are calibrated to the dreaded 440hz? How can I adjust this?

Thanks

written by: GoneCaving

Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:46:18 +0100 BST

The basic Factory Setup is described on the wiki. To see what's in each instrument slot for the sampler or audio unit slots, you should launch the EigenBrowser, then bring up the instrument controls (main mode key, and right col, key 4 - looking down from the breathpipe) as per page 2 of the Pico Quick ref. The select the instrument by holding the mode key (right col, key 1) and pressing the key corresponding to the instrument in the left col (as per section 4, pg 4 of the Pico quick ref). Then hit the third key down on the left column. This is described in the tutorials (Pico tutorial 3).

Getting a violin sound in slot 5, would require you to have an audio unit capable of producing a violin sound. Alternatively, you could reconfigure the cello to sound more like a violin. This requires a suitable impulse-response file, and some modifications to the cello oscillator. Geert describes how to do this in a recent Eigenharp clubhouse recording on youtube (#33 I think?). See also the wiki page for the Cello Oscillator.

Replicating the cello in slot 5, would require some rewiring in Workbench, which requires a little more familiarity with the EigenD internals ;-) Perhaps a bit adventurous for a supern00b for the time being?

I'm not sure if you can change the reference pitch. You can detune the samplers, and other oscillators individually using the Stage interface (and obviously via belcanto), but I don't think there's a single place to change all of them, nor do I think this impacts the Audio Unit agents?

D

written by: john

Tue, 19 Jun 2012 13:32:06 +0100 BST

Hi Eigenstein

There is no global tuning in EigenD, you need to adjust the tuning of oscillators separately (which you can usually do with Stage). We have thought about adding something to make this more convenient (it's technically possible, it just needs a little work), but in two years we've only had people even ask about it twice (including this time) so it's not a feature that's very high on the list at the moment. We've never been nagged about it either, which is usually the way to get a new feature higher up the implementation list - feel free to change that if it's important to you. It's probably is something that we ought to have, it just hasn't seemed particularly vital to anybody so far as most now tune to 440 and the days of the whole band tuning to the wildly out harmonica player seem to be behind us.

As far as violin sounds go, we don't ship one for free with EigenD, but there are literally hundreds of AU/VST instruments available that make violin type noises. Most of them have free demo periods and I'd be very interested to hear if you (or anyone else here) has good results with their 'harp and any of them.

John

Please log in to join the discussions