Forum rss-feed

Forum

Workbench: Confusion on the necessity of channels

Most Recent

written by: carvingCode

Rather than luck causing the setup to work with or without channels, it's probably the underlying design.

I have a single keygroup and scaler wired to an audio unit. By design, this creates a single path (channel) for signals to flow through.

In more complex setups, like Factory, where talkers dynamically change how keygroups are connected to the rigs, channels are necessary to properly isolate the signals from others.

Randy

Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:14:05 +0100 BST

I've modified my splits tutorial to work with channels. I added a full board keygroup. I added channels to each of the now 3 keygroups. One per keygroup, numbered 1, 2 and 3.

I assigned the pentatonic scale to the bottom keygroup of a split keyboard. Its sclae plays and tonics light correctly, along with the default major scale and tonics of the top portion of that split keyboard.

I thought I was on to something regarding channels. But, then I did a test and removed the channel from bottom keygroup (pentatonic). Nothing changed - its scale and tonic lights stil displayed properly even after switching to the full keygroup and coming back to the split keygroup.

Then I removed all channels and still everything stayed as it should.

I'm confused. When are channels required?

<<
Geert responded elsewhere:

You're just 'lucky', when there are no channels it'll combined whatever data it finds for the keygroup layout. if you're unlucky it uses the one from another keygroup, if you're lucky it uses the correct one. This can change at any time, it's just chance. Hence with channels you're certain about which information is combined together.

<<

I read this as "always use channels". Correct?

Fri, 15 Jun 2012 11:26:15 +0100 BST

Rather than luck causing the setup to work with or without channels, it's probably the underlying design.

I have a single keygroup and scaler wired to an audio unit. By design, this creates a single path (channel) for signals to flow through.

In more complex setups, like Factory, where talkers dynamically change how keygroups are connected to the rigs, channels are necessary to properly isolate the signals from others.

Randy

Please log in to join the discussions