Forum rss-feed

Forum

Sounds: EigenD / Pico

Most Recent

written by: keyman

@John
Nice to hear this!! Some more fingers also crossed, over here...

written by: scrussey

Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:56:26 +0000 GMT

can the sound fonts Tubed Rhodes & Tubed Wurli shipped with the EigenD be downloaded and
played with the Pico?

written by: philip (Moderator)

Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:16:29 +0000 GMT

Yes - The Tubed Rhodes and Tubed Wurli SoundFonts are installed when you first install the Eigenharp software from your USB stick, but they can also be downloaded from the website ( http://www.eigenlabs.com/downloads/soundfonts/ ). You will find a couple of additional Soundfonts that we have licenced from Sampletek for Eigenharp users that were too large to fit on the USB stick - they are other versions of the Steinway grand piano that ships with the install, recorded in a dry and ambient microphone position. They're both very nice, although they do take a while to download as they are around 2G in size.

You can choose these sounds to be played by the Sampler instruments in your Factory Setup 1, by switching to the 'Instrument/FX Control' mode, followed by e.g. the Sampler 1 Control mode, and pressing the 'Sampler 1 sample browse' key as explained in your Quick Reference Guide.

This will display a list of available SoundFonts in your browser, and 'Tubed Rhodes' and 'Tubed Wurli' should appear in the list.

Any problems then please let us know

Philip
Eigenlabs Support team

written by: Theo Stone

Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:45:37 +0000 GMT

Will the Electric guitar, bassoon, flute and saxophone be available to download as a sound font to play on the Eigenharp Pico in the near future?

written by: john

Sun, 22 Nov 2009 15:22:25 +0000 GMT

Hi Theo

We haven't yet sourced such Soundfonts and will probably not do so in the very near future - good quality sample sets are very expensive and time consuming to produce and often not that expensive to buy. Our principle focus will be in developing new physically modelled, native EigenD instruments like the Clarinet that we ship. We have ambitions to produce both a flute and perhaps saxophone in the near future, and a guitar soon after. They are hard to program though, there's a lot of complicated and subtle physics in most of these instruments, but when we get them right they make extremely expressive performance possible.

The selection of Soundfonts we ship with the Eigenharp is not really a problem for you as a player - there are literally thousands of either free or low cost Soundfonts available to download on the internet (just google 'soundfont' and you will see what I mean), and it is very easy to convert from other sampler formats using the CdXtract tool described in our video tutorials, giving you access to the huge range of commercially available sample sets in ESX24 or Kontact formats. Our in house musician team use quite a few sample sets sourced this way, for horns and guitars. Magazines like Sound On Sound have reviews of lots of these on their web sites. You can of course also buy and load a wide variety of AU sampler instruments, quite a few Pico players seem to be using the Kontakt sampler for example, which comes with large sample sets of its own.

I hope that helps..

John

written by: martinthompson

Wed, 4 Jul 2012 21:43:20 +0100 BST

John,

Have you considered getting Matt Traum (of wind controller fame: http://www.patchmanmusic.com/MattTraum.html) to develop you some modelled wind instruments? I have a WX5 and his Turbo chip, and (I hope you don't mind me saying this), the clarinets, basses, cellos, saxes, brass that I play regularly all feel much more playable than the Eigend clarinet, cello, bass samples. On the clarinet, legato is much easier to play without funny crossover notes (in poly mode) or gaps (in mono mode). The Cello has a much "bitier" attack, as do the bass guitary type instruments. The breath response is more natural across the instruments too (even the non-breath ones if that makes sense!). Please don't get the impression that I feel the EigenD instruments are poor or unplayable though, I'm having a great time with my new Pico - just offering a potential channel for improvement!

Interestingly, the EigenD piano feels much better to me - maybe as a non-piano player originally I'm much pickier about the wind instruments. Can't explain the cello though, I've only ever played that through a WX5 :)

I'd certainly be willing to pay the £50-£100 or so for a bunch of Matt modelled instruments!

Thanks,
Martin

written by: john

Sat, 7 Jul 2012 11:00:01 +0100 BST

Hi Martin

I've written to Mr Traum, we'll see if he's interested. Thanks for the suggestion.

John

written by: martinthompson

Sat, 7 Jul 2012 11:24:43 +0100 BST

Thanks John - fingers crossed for an interested reply!

Cheers,
Martin

written by: keyman

Sat, 7 Jul 2012 12:47:59 +0100 BST

@John
Nice to hear this!! Some more fingers also crossed, over here...

Please log in to join the discussions