Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Belcanto to connect rig lights to keygroup outputs

Most Recent

written by: carvingCode

Thanks, keyman. Had not known about this. But I also don't know what 'channel' or 'input filter' is in this context so probably was a OK I didn't know. ;)

written by: MarkPowell

Fri, 8 Jun 2012 21:10:14 +0100 BST

Hi all,
I've got tired of having to drag wires and reconnect all the light connections every time I make a blunder and mess my custom setup up, so I thought, as a Belcanto learning exercise, I'd try to work out the Belcanto to do the wiring. I've been doing the following (as an example for MIDI 1):

keygroup 1 midi output 1 light input to midi rig 1 output light connect

This runs without error and I can see a wire being created from the rig output to the relevant light input on the keygroup. However, it doesn't actually light the tonics. At first glance I thought the result was identical to dragging a wire manually within Workbench, but on closer inspection, it's actually adding a triangle to the light output on the rig, as if it thinks it's adding a new object underneath. Is this a bug or am I not getting the Belcanto correct?

Once I've got a solution to this my plan is to write it up in the Wiki, as I think it could come in handy for a lot of users.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark.

Fri, 8 Jun 2012 23:01:07 +0100 BST

Solved! It's sensitive to the direction that you make the connection. So, if you do the following it works fine:

midi rig 1 output light to keygroup 1 midi output 1 light input connect

I'll write this up and add to the Wiki when I get five minutes, but for the time being here is the script to link all instruments in factory alpha 1 under 2.0.50:

clarinet rig output light to keygroup 1 clarinet output light input connect
cello rig output light to keygroup 1 cello output light input connect
synth rig output light to keygroup 1 synth output light input connect
sampler rig 1 output light to keygroup 1 sampler output 1 light input connect
sampler rig 2 output light to keygroup 1 sampler output 2 light input connect
sampler rig 3 output light to keygroup 1 sampler output 3 light input connect
sampler rig 4 output light to keygroup 1 sampler output 4 light input connect
audio unit rig 1 output light to keygroup 1 audio unit output 1 light input connect
audio unit rig 2 output light to keygroup 1 audio unit output 2 light input connect
audio unit rig 3 output light to keygroup 1 audio unit output 3 light input connect
audio unit rig 4 output light to keygroup 1 audio unit output 4 light input connect
midi rig 1 output light to keygroup 1 midi output 1 light input connect
midi rig 2 output light to keygroup 1 midi output 2 light input connect

Fri, 8 Jun 2012 23:18:11 +0100 BST

Wiki page added:

Go here

Sat, 9 Jun 2012 21:09:54 +0100 BST

[deleted based upon Geert's script update]

Sat, 9 Jun 2012 01:10:47 +0100 BST

On further checking, the lights don't properly light up tonic only on chromatic, pentatonic and other non-12 note scales.

Is this a bug?

Randy

Sat, 9 Jun 2012 21:10:49 +0100 BST

Great, Mark! Thanks. I ran this on the Tau and all lights lit up beautifully. Had Workbench open and saw the wiring connections created dynamically.

One thing I'll mention:

You can create a script file and add to the Script folder where the different versions of EigenD get installed. On Windows, it's the My Documents/Eigenlabs folder. Not sure where it's at on MacOS.

Then you can run the following in EigenCommander:

eigenbrowser , interpreter hey script browse

Be sure to have EigenBrowser open. It will swicth views tot he script view. You'll see the Factory Scripts and the User Scripts folder. Open USer Scripts and you will see the script you saved there.

[edited based upon Geert's script update]

Randy

written by: geert

Sat, 9 Jun 2012 11:43:52 +0100 BST

The way you made the connections in this script gets you all the lights back from all the instruments and keygroups and displays them all on keygroup 1. There are different scales on each keygroup and also different layouts for each keygroup. These are separated on channels going into the rigs, so you need to pick the appropriate channel for each keygroup coming back out of the rig. The channels for this are numbered with the same numbers as the keygroups in the factory setups. So as long as you're using the same scale on each keygroup, you'll see the same light. However, as soon as you change a scale of one keygroup, you'll start seeing a mixture of lights unless you use the correct channel.

I noticed that the current factory setups can be improved by actually also filtering out a channel inside the rig. The scalers are situated after the recorders, which adds different channels for the live data stream and the recorded takes that are played back. This is needed to keep them separated. The current light connection inside the rig doesn't filter this channel out, meaning that you get another level of channels coming out of the rigs, ie. channel 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 ... for keygroups 1, 2 and 3.

I wrote some upgrade scripts to adapt the factory setups so that only the first recorder channel is used. I also included a series of wiring scripts that make the right lighting connections with the appropriate channels for each factory setup.

You can find them here:

https://github.com/Eigenlabs/EigenD/tree/2.0/sys_init/scripts/Factory%20Setup%20Fixes

https://github.com/Eigenlabs/EigenD/tree/2.0/sys_init/scripts/Lights

Take care,

Geert

carvingCode said:
On further checking, the lights don't properly light up tonic only on chromatic, pentatonic and other non-12 note scales

Sat, 9 Jun 2012 21:06:01 +0100 BST

Geert - Brilliant update! Thanks. Tonics now light up perfectly for all scales. BTW: The Pentatonic tonic lights up a nice diagonal. Nice job.

I also ran the 'channel' update script (although I don't fully understand it's purpose) without problem. I ran it prior to the light script - don't know if it's necessary to run in any order or not. But all works brilliantly.

Mark - Thank you for getting the ball rolling!!

Randy

written by: keyman

Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:31:14 +0100 BST

@carvingCode

If you click on a wire with the EDIT tool you get "connections details"
showing the channel and input filter. (maybe you already seen this..sorry)

It sure adds more flexibility and but also difficulties of managing everything...

Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:44:25 +0100 BST

Thanks, keyman. Had not known about this. But I also don't know what 'channel' or 'input filter' is in this context so probably was a OK I didn't know. ;)

Please log in to join the discussions