Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Problem getting recorders to work in 2.0.50

Most Recent

written by: MarkPowell

The 'record arm' and 'record cancel' buttons in EigenD 2 factory Alpha setup are the wrong way round relative to the documentation. Don't know whether the Tau and Pico setups are the same.

Cheers, Mark

Thu, 31 May 2012 23:31:02 +0100 BST

Hi all,
I'm sure it's probably me doing something daft, but I can't get the recorders to work in 2.0.50. I'm setting the metronome going, choosing a pattern length, selecting an instrument and then hitting the arm button to the left of the octave buttons, but nothing is recording at all. At first I thought I'd broken something when making my user setup, but I've gone back to the Alpha Factory 1 setup and I'm having the same problem. If I load EigenD 1.4.12 then it works perfectly. Is there any difference between what I need to do on 2?

As an aside, on the recorder controls there is a button under the unplay all and cancel all buttons that seems to toggle - it's not shown in my quickstart guide. What does this button do? I thought maybe it was a global recorder arm button, but I've tried toggling it on or off, but it doesn't seem to solve my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Mark.

Thu, 31 May 2012 23:39:57 +0100 BST

Forget the second question - I've just realised that the Quick Reference manual online is newer than my paper copy and that the mystery button is to toggle overdub mode. Still no wiser on the other issue though, so any help would be gratefully appreciated.

written by: carvingCode

Fri, 1 Jun 2012 00:29:17 +0100 BST

I've had some problems with things acting oddly in 2.0.50. (They don't work one time, but work another... keys that should turn color when you select them, don't...) Another player has reported similar problems. They made some underlying changes in how some things are talking and connecting, so as more of us take the time to explore and report, I'm sure all will be worked out.

Randy

Fri, 1 Jun 2012 00:58:03 +0100 BST

Hi Randy,
Thanks for the reply. I noticed your thread from the other day with interest actually. I'm seeing everything lighting up/changing colour when it should, so for example I can change the loop length and the new length gets selected, but when I try to record it does absolutely nothing.

It does sound similar to the problem that you reported, except if I recall you couldn't record anything over 2 bars, whereas I can't seem to record anything at all. There are so many other benefits in 2.0, I'm loath to go back to ED1, so this is a bit frustrating, but like you say I'm sure it'll get sorted out as the code gets more stable.

Like I mentioned in my first post I'm kind of hoping someone points out something silly that I'm doing and I can get it working, but worst case I can route to Live and record there for now.

Cheers,
Mark.

written by: geert

Fri, 1 Jun 2012 06:23:39 +0100 BST

Hi Mark,

Can you please send us a bug report from within EigenD (File menu) after you've reproduced this problem, that might help us tracking it down.

The button you mention is the overdub button, it's present in the quick start guide that ships with EigenD since v1.3.29.

Best regards,

Geert

Fri, 1 Jun 2012 07:24:47 +0100 BST

Thanks Geert. I'll drop you a bug report when I get back from work this evening.

M

Fri, 1 Jun 2012 09:42:06 +0100 BST

Hi Mark and Randy,

We might have found a problem in the Alpha and Tau factory setups that were shipped with EigenD 2.0.50 that could cause the recorders to not function appropriately. We're tracking down the cause now and it will get fixed for the next release.

Thanks a lot for bringing this to our attention.

Geert

Fri, 1 Jun 2012 12:24:00 +0100 BST

Excellent -thanks for the update Geert. Do you still want a bug report for verification or is that superfluous now?

Fri, 1 Jun 2012 12:36:19 +0100 BST

Please do send the bug report in later, it can still be useful to ensure that what we've identified corresponds to the problem that you're having.

Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:21:30 +0100 BST

No problem. I'll sort it out when I get home. Thanks again.

Fri, 1 Jun 2012 19:24:02 +0100 BST

Report just sent Geert. Let me know if it doesn't come through.

Cheers,
Mark.

Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:45:31 +0100 BST

Thanks Mark, got the report.

Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:49:13 +0100 BST

Splendid. Just let me know if you need me to try anything or provide any more info.

Thu, 7 Jun 2012 14:49:48 +0100 BST

Hi Mark,

I looked at your bug report and I can't see you pressing the recorder arm button. Are you sure you have an instrument active on the keygroup when you press the recorder arm button? On the Alpha this button is on the second column, the before-last row. Without arming the recording for an instrument, the recorders will not record the information. Can you please double check?

Thanks,

Geert

Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:39:23 +0100 BST

Hi Geert,
I'm 99.9% sure that I pressed record arm when submitting my debug info (after selecting sampler 1 IIRC) and I certainly did while trying to diagnose the problem earlier. I can get it working at will with version 1 of EigenD, so I'd be surprised if it was a PICNIC error on my part. I'll do another trace this evening to be 100% sure if that'd be useful?

Thanks, Mark.

written by: GoneCaving

Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:57:00 +0100 BST

I seem to recall thinking that the order of the arm and cancel buttons had changed between 1.x 2.x releases. Any chance this is the cause of the confusion?

D

Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:11:01 +0100 BST

Hah, good catch Duncan! I actually made a mistake in the factory setups! :-)

Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:11:17 +0100 BST

I'll fix it for the next release.

Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:44:09 +0100 BST

I'm glad I'm off the hook! Am I right in thinking that for now I should be able to use the two record buttons the opposite way round and it should work?

Thu, 7 Jun 2012 17:11:36 +0100 BST

Yes, you should be able to use them like that until EigenD 2.0.52 comes out.

Please log in to join the discussions