Forum rss-feed

Forum

Developers: New EigenChorder released

Most Recent

written by: whitetree

this is a great concept, Id like to set a scale specifically for certain chords, maybe one note cues?

written by: benjamind2008

Sat, 19 May 2012 23:06:02 +0100 BST

I've just released the new EigenChorder code. This program reads the MIDI input from a specified port, determines what chord was played, and then talks to Belcanto to set a custom scale that has the notes of that chord, and to set the tonic, all this happens automatically.

I'll redirect from this post, as the original thread was talking about python but I've added my code to that thread as I took over from that one.

http://www.eigenlabs.com/forum/threads/id/996/

The only thing required is to add the custom scales to EigenD which is a trivial task. I could do it for you if you wanted me to.

written by: Larryheil

Mon, 21 May 2012 11:45:43 +0100 BST

That sounds fantastic. Please correct if wrong.... so one could feed in a midi backing track (chord only?) and the Eigen scale/tonic would change so all the keys would be correct for that chord and would change as the chords changed? jamming with no mistakes (at least scale wise). This is for Eigen D 2.--- ?
So many possibilities, can't wait till this (and many other agents) becomes something us non=programmers can use. (what ? Eigenharps are sold to non-programmers ?)
Larry

written by: GoneCaving

Mon, 21 May 2012 12:33:16 +0100 BST

It's not an Agent, Larry. It's run outside of EigenD. So there shouldn't be anything in the way of you trying it out.

D

written by: benjamind2008

Tue, 22 May 2012 07:00:43 +0100 BST

Actually not sure if EigenD 2x would work with the XMLRPC system, and belcanto agents have changed since 1.4x so I'd test it out before getting one's hopes up. It should work fine, it works as a Python script and runs in the background.

As for jamming in real time, there is only one way to guarantee that EigenD will change the scale at precisely the same time the chord input changes and that is to use the Arranger and insert Belcanto commands to change the scale at precisely the step desired.

This program by default checks for a new chord every 250ms, this can be lowered to 10ms (i think) but the XMLRPC system and EigenD are not super fast and this has been discussed. Its still possible to jam, but you need to be aware of these limitations.

It should be possible to jam in real time using the arranger and setting up belcanto commands at the steps you desire.

But this program will make it easier for beginners to jam and experiment with chords. Great for improvising, and if your system is really fast, jamming should be possible.

written by: whitetree

Wed, 30 May 2012 05:20:51 +0100 BST

this is a great concept, Id like to set a scale specifically for certain chords, maybe one note cues?

Please log in to join the discussions