Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: What can a Pico do?

Most Recent

written by: Bongo35

Hi Pupeno,

I am very new to the Pico - my background is Percussion - tuned and untuned.

The keyboard on the Pico takes a little getting used to and I have had to devise exercises to build up technique. I have also tried to play lead sheets as well - perfectly possible, but not rivetingly exciting.

If improvisation is something you previously struggled with, then don't worry about the written score. Just run your fingers over the keys and listen to the sound. The Pico is a wonderfully creative tool that draws you into a new way of making music.I lose many an hour just enjoying that creative process and I believe I am becoming a better improviser on my other instruments as a result

Be brave!

Dave

written by: pupeno

Wed, 16 May 2012 18:17:34 +0100 BST

Hello,

I'm pondering on buying a Pico and I have one important question. I haven't made music in years and when I did I used to do this: pic a score, and learn to play it in the piano. I did some improv in piano and guitar, but very little and with a lot of guidance.

Maybe my question is completely miss-guided, so feel free to let me know if so. If I pick a score, how likely is it that I'd be able to play it on a Pico? I suppose not a lot, right?

Yes... I never understood how it works for harmonica players when every single score I ever touched is impossible to play.

Thanks.

written by: mikemilton

Wed, 16 May 2012 19:04:06 +0100 BST

It is relatively easy to play a melody on a Pico, particularly if it remains in a scale (ie: no accidentals) so you have greater range.

You can typically also play from lead sheets / fakebooks if you know how to voice chords (or have a chord reference)

Grand staff piano arrangements typically don't 'fit' on a Pico, although you can do your own arrangement (basically using the melody and chords and working from there)

You can also record and loop one part while you play another. So If you actually have a multi-part score you can work from (possibly simplified) lines for each part.

Of course, you also have drum loops.

Finally, Improvising is actually much easier on a pico because you can set it up in the scale and then there are no 'wrong' notes (I quite enjoyed this aspect)

You could also play to jam tracks.

written by: Bongo35

Fri, 15 Jun 2012 02:40:08 +0100 BST

Hi Pupeno,

I am very new to the Pico - my background is Percussion - tuned and untuned.

The keyboard on the Pico takes a little getting used to and I have had to devise exercises to build up technique. I have also tried to play lead sheets as well - perfectly possible, but not rivetingly exciting.

If improvisation is something you previously struggled with, then don't worry about the written score. Just run your fingers over the keys and listen to the sound. The Pico is a wonderfully creative tool that draws you into a new way of making music.I lose many an hour just enjoying that creative process and I believe I am becoming a better improviser on my other instruments as a result

Be brave!

Dave

Please log in to join the discussions