Forum rss-feed

Forum

Workbench: Illuminator paint well tutorial

Most Recent

written by: carvingCode

Thanks, Oberon. I still think your Illuminator example is quite practical.

written by: 0beron

Tue, 15 May 2012 23:15:01 +0100 BST

Here's a tutorial on how to use the illuminator to 'paint' lights onto the keyboard.

http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Using_the_Illuminator/

Wed, 16 May 2012 02:14:26 +0100 BST

Oberon - Thanks again. Another well done tutorial.

First time I set it up, I had some crashes of EigenD. Restarted and re-did the Illuminator tutorial and all was well.

Will have to think about where this would be useful for me.

Nice work, O!

Randy

Sat, 26 May 2012 18:33:37 +0100 BST

Below are links to a Pico setup (v2.0.50) which includes everything from Workbench Tutorials 1-6 (with slight mods) plus Oberon's Illuminator tutorial. There's the main setup file plus the rig file. (I assume both are needed.) Place both in the Setups folder in the 2.0.50-testing

Main

Rig - NOTE: Replace the '-' in the filename with '#'.

You'll need to adjust the audio setup, as well as select 2 AU/VSTs from your collection.

Mode key is 3/3. Select AU/VSTs via 1/1 and 1/2. Select Illuminator via 1/7. Select volume controller via 1/8. Select octave up/down via 1/9.

Hope this is useful.

Randy

Sat, 26 May 2012 18:17:27 +0100 BST

Oberon, et al -

How do we map lights to musical keys instead of physical? I'm thinking there is more to it than replacing 'physical' in the Belcanto from the tutorial with 'musical'.

Randy

written by: 0beron

Mon, 28 May 2012 10:19:15 +0100 BST

You can set the musical map of an illuminator, but this won't respond to changes in the scale you are using. For that you would need to extend the scaler light output to highlight different notes.

The physical and musical layouts will affect what happens when the keygroup geometry changes, so if I make a keygroup and hook it to an illuminator, then choose some lights in the physical map, then I re-map the keygroup backwards, then the lights won't move. If I use the musical map then the lights will be reversed along with the keygroup. If I hook up a scaler and change its scale, the illuminator is unaffected.

Mon, 28 May 2012 12:09:21 +0100 BST

Thanks, Oberon. I still think your Illuminator example is quite practical.

Please log in to join the discussions