Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Arranger: Eigenharp's forgotten helper

Most Recent

written by: john

If you have Workbench you could add an arranger up in a Pico setup, although with 18 keys I'm not sure how useful it would be. There is nothing intrinsically stopping you doing that though. We don't plan to add one to any Factory setups for the Pico, so if you want to try it you'll need to make your own setup.

John

written by: carvingCode

Tue, 15 May 2012 20:26:37 +0100 BST

Playing with the Arranger recently (Tau/Alpha). What a great part of the instrument - one that doesn't get enough discussion and use.

In addition to building unqiue rhythm patterns by itself, there's other ways it can be used. Building a complimentary rhythm track to accompany a drum loop or percussion loop can lead to interesting results. Or, using the Arranger to play VST-based sequencer-type, or pad or ambient patches underneath a melody is also interesting.

Question: Does anyone know if there is a max length to a particular loop? By default, it looks like there's 16 beats in the loop (4 bars in 4/4). I know the number of beats can be extended, but by how much? 8 bars, 16, 32 ?

Randy

written by: mikemilton

Tue, 15 May 2012 23:10:45 +0100 BST

I agree... It is an error to think of it as just an arp.

Note, in particular, that yu can inject *any* Belcanto into one (of multiple) actions at each step.

If you use larger steps, you can easily trigger an arp in a plugin (so 16 steps could be 16 bars... or 32... or whatever)

I'd be interested in knowing the maximum number of steps as well having not gone much past the physical keyboard.

written by: keyman

Wed, 16 May 2012 01:53:20 +0100 BST

@Randy
Once again, hope it will not sound too harsh.. but there is a STAGE tab for each arranger, and they look pretty good..
The steps can go up to 100 and the end point up to 10 000!!!

Yes! I've bin saying this for a long time, the potencial of the arranger is way beyond whats right now implemented.

written by: EdisonRex

Thu, 17 May 2012 00:26:33 +0100 BST

I use the arrangers a LOT. Not usually for drums, more usually as step sequencers. They are really very good at that, although there are some caveats, one being that they can be fiddly to input, and they survive a setup change so you need to remember to clear them out before loading a different setup.

Thu, 17 May 2012 00:41:19 +0100 BST

@ERex-What? I did not know that the sequencer was not reset when a new setup was loaded. Is this what you meant? If so, bug or intent?

Randy

written by: benjamind2008

Thu, 17 May 2012 06:59:22 +0100 BST

Sounds like the perfect thing for improvising over chord pad...just insert belcanto to set a specific scale (major or minor) or custom scales for chords and set the tonic.

Key/chord changes should work a treat with this functionality. The arranger is a lifesaver!

Thu, 17 May 2012 11:16:17 +0100 BST

If you want to improvise over a loop, why not use the built in loop recorder?

Thu, 17 May 2012 19:22:22 +0100 BST

@Randy - try it, and tell me if it is a bug or not. Alpha setup 3, put a arranger sequence together, make it simple, then save it. Clear the arranger sequence and make another, save a new setup. Now load the previous one without clearing the sequence. What happens?

1.4-latest stable, by the way.

-Paul

@carvingCode - yup, I use them too. Loop recorder as well as arranger. What I get out of it is the ability to have many different parts running which I can bring in and out of my mix in performance. It's just that the arranger sequences can be much more complex.

Thu, 17 May 2012 19:54:25 +0100 BST

@Paul - I'm interested in hearing more about your use of Arranger. Honestly, I never thought about using it for anything but a step sequencer. You and/or Mike mentioned attaching Belcanto to a step. This has me fully perplexed. Still, I can see where this could be musically useful.

@Mike - Please jump in, as I just re-read your post... 'inject *any* Belcanto into one (of multiple) actions at each step'. What? How?

Randy ( in perpetual catch-up mode)

Thu, 17 May 2012 22:02:00 +0100 BST

@Randy

In version 2, with workbench, you can examine each entry in the arranger (each key you can set to 'happen' as the time bar scrolls past it.

They have an action associated with each key which is a belcanto phrase. Additional actions can be added to each key. They can be whatever belcanto you like.

You can also set up how the time bar moves with respect to the tempo (so lets just assume, for now, that it moves along at a 1/4 note rate in 4/4)

You could, as just one example, set up a 64 beat arranger. On the first beat set a tempo (120) and on the 32nd beat set another tempo (135). The tempo will then switch back and forth every 8 bars. Of course, you could also set a new tempo over the course of a few notes as a accelerando (and put a few in at the end to slow it down again before looping back to step 1)

You could also associate finely separated tempos with many keys and select them in a way that would look a lot like the MIDI CC charts you get in logic - The arranger would play tempos instead of notes.

So, there is a simple example.

Another (sillly) ideais to change tonics to shift the notes that are played (either in the arranger or in a recorder) - you could play one bar of a 12bar blues pattern in a recorder and use an arranger to shift it over the course of 12 bars to it's appropriate spot.

So, basically, any belcanto action you want to happen in the course of a piece can be attached to a key in the arrangers.

Fri, 18 May 2012 00:25:02 +0100 BST

Mike - Thanks. I have time over upcoming weekend to delve into this. Must say, I discovered quite a lot to explore thru this week. Much appreciated.

Randy

Sat, 19 May 2012 03:00:30 +0100 BST

@Paul - I recorded in both Arranger 1 and 2 (Tau) two different patterns.

The separate patterns played fine. When I saved the setup and reopened it, the light patterns for the two separate patterns were still in place, but only Arranger 1's pattern actually played. When I switched to Arranger 2,Arranger 1's pattern played.

I'm assuming this is a bug. But you said it occurred in v1.4.latest. My instance was with v2.0.latest. So, is this intended behavior or a bug?

Randy

Sat, 19 May 2012 23:38:02 +0100 BST

Beats me, Randy. Maybe Geert can comment. The Arranger caused me a lot of trouble last year when I started using it, so I know there were some bugs, but those got fixed.

Your Tau's behaviour is different than my Alpha, though, which implies some kind of bug. Does nobody else use the arranger?

Sun, 20 May 2012 12:31:53 +0100 BST

I've recently started using them but have not had the issues Randy cites. Perhaps a Tau-specific thing?

Sun, 20 May 2012 19:32:47 +0100 BST

carvingCode said:
The separate patterns played fine. When I saved the setup and reopened it, the light patterns for the two separate patterns were still in place, but only Arranger 1's pattern actually played. When I switched to Arranger 2,Arranger 1's pattern played.

This was an error on my part. I neglected to activate Arranger 2's playback. Both of the sequenced loops play back fine.

Randy

Sun, 20 May 2012 21:12:48 +0100 BST

Easy error to make

Sun, 20 May 2012 23:40:36 +0100 BST

wonder if I still have a bug in alpha then. Alpha 3 has a lot of oddities actually but that's probably something for a different topic.

written by: cogreslab

Sat, 23 Jun 2012 13:15:27 +0100 BST

Is Arranger also available for the Pico?

written by: MarkPowell

Sat, 23 Jun 2012 13:59:58 +0100 BST

Alpha and Tau only I think

written by: john

Sat, 23 Jun 2012 19:27:26 +0100 BST

If you have Workbench you could add an arranger up in a Pico setup, although with 18 keys I'm not sure how useful it would be. There is nothing intrinsically stopping you doing that though. We don't plan to add one to any Factory setups for the Pico, so if you want to try it you'll need to make your own setup.

John

Please log in to join the discussions