Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: New software option announcement

Most Recent

written by: john

Just to save everyone doing this calculation, I'm reposting this from another thread:

"
If you have EigenD with a year of maintenance, that's worth £75 (before taxes). Pro with six months of updates is about £115, so the difference is around £40, before tax. With VAT that'll be around £49, if you're in the EU.
The exact figure will vary depending on how much you have left on your maintenance, and is calculated at the point of checkout (before you commit to pay) at the same time as your taxes are worked out.
"

John

Fri, 11 May 2012 22:39:27 +0100 BST

We've made a couple of changes today on the software front.

The first is that we've introduced a new option to allow the upgrade of EigenD to EigenD Pro. This discounts the cost of Pro by exactly the value left on your maintenance period of EigenD so it means that anyone who wishes to upgrade suffers no financial loss for doing so, whenever they choose to do so. It also means that you can effectively trade the value in a 12 month maintenance period of EigenD (that you may have received with your new instrument) in for a shorter (6 month) update period with Pro, substantially reducing the upfront cost for new instrument owners if they want to use EigenD Pro. You can now find the upgrade option on our software products page and if you're logged in and already own EigenD it will calculate how much rebate on Pro you will get .

The second change is one of terminology. The word 'subscription' has caused no end of confusion and upset as it seemed to suggest that your software will stop working of you don't keep giving us money. This is not the case, when you download a copy of EigenD you get to keep it forever and to reflect this we've changed the way our software is described to make it clearer. We have therefore banished the word 'subscription' from these pages. You now get to just buy EigenD and can get it with either 6 or 12 months of included continuous updates. I know, this is actually the same as it was before but we have listened to the howl of protest over the word 'subscription' and decided that discretion is the better part of valour. Hopefully this will be clearer, and less contentious.

Have a nice weekend...

John

written by: earthspot

Sat, 12 May 2012 02:40:28 +0100 BST

A generous concession, IMHO. This brings it down (for me) to an affordable amount. No reason not to get it (next payday).

It doesn't matter to me what you call the fee / price / honorarium / sub. I've written software for distribution since 1972 and still do, so I know what software development really costs. Here's my take on the topic: The Killer App

I could have warned you not to use the word "subscription" in the American market for the additional services you're selling. So could many people, and I'm surprised they didn't. FYI, Apple Inc used to offer what they called a Partnership Program, which broadly corresponds. Microsoft likewise. Nowadays Apple can afford to give their developer tools away free, which they do to avoid stifling novel creative use of their products. Ditto Google, and many others. I'm not sure about M$-- 10 years ago they actually billed you $200 to report a bug in Excel!

A small startup can't give away the fruits of its most expensive activity (in England) -- or at least, has to take a very deep breath before it does. Americans have no patience with this: to them it is Not Fashionable to charge for development tools, thanks to Apple and Google -- certainly not pre-release ones. Telephone support is another matter entirely :-)

written by: benjamind2008

Sat, 12 May 2012 03:13:03 +0100 BST

Thanks for this John.

I recently purchased a Pico within the past fortnight.

When I register this Pico with you will I was told I would get a 12 month subscription to standard EigenD. How much will it cost me to upgrade to 6 months of EigenD Pro?

written by: carvingCode

Sat, 12 May 2012 04:13:10 +0100 BST

Good news all around.

Randy

written by: MarkPowell

Sat, 12 May 2012 09:20:36 +0100 BST

MarkPowell said:
Hi John,
That seems a good compromise to me.

On a personal note, I bought a Pico very early on (too early to qualify for a free 2.0 sub) and then paid full price for a six month 2.0 Pro sub when I bought my Alpha (2nd hand, so again no 2.0 standard to upgrade, even though the seller still had several months left). Any chance of a goodwill gesture for us early adopters - maybe a few extra months free?

Either way, well done for listening to your users and going at least some of the way to resolve things.

Thanks,
Mark

written by: MarkPowell

Sat, 12 May 2012 09:21:16 +0100 BST

. Double post

Sat, 12 May 2012 09:27:17 +0100 BST

Just to save everyone doing this calculation, I'm reposting this from another thread:

"
If you have EigenD with a year of maintenance, that's worth £75 (before taxes). Pro with six months of updates is about £115, so the difference is around £40, before tax. With VAT that'll be around £49, if you're in the EU.
The exact figure will vary depending on how much you have left on your maintenance, and is calculated at the point of checkout (before you commit to pay) at the same time as your taxes are worked out.
"

John

Please log in to join the discussions