Forum Archive

Forum

General Discussion: Posting to the forum has become very slow

written by: john

This is now fixed - there was a virus scanner running by default (and quite pointlessly) on the outgoing notification emails. This didn't make much difference when the number of subscribers was low, but many more people have signed up recently and the delay became steadily more noticeable in the last couple of weeks.

John

written by: geert

Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:07:50 +0100 BST

Hi,

I've noticed that since a few days, it takes about 10 seconds when adding a new post to the forum. The rest of the website still feels snappy though. I suppose there's some optimizations there that should be performed to solve this before it really gets out of hand.

Take care,

Geert

written by: sam

Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:03:58 +0100 BST

Hi Geert,

Thanks for posting. We are investigating this and I will post here as soon as we have any more information for you.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:33:50 +0100 BST

This is now fixed - there was a virus scanner running by default (and quite pointlessly) on the outgoing notification emails. This didn't make much difference when the number of subscribers was low, but many more people have signed up recently and the delay became steadily more noticeable in the last couple of weeks.

John

Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:37:55 +0100 BST

Hi John,

I figured it might have something to do with the notification emails. May I suggest to queue an asynchronous email queue in which the emails are stored and then sent in the background. This was one of the initial optimizations that I had to implement when I wrote my own forum software a long time ago.

Take care,

Geert

Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:05:03 +0100 BST

Hi Geert

That's actually on Patricks list to do at some point, but it doesn't look like we need that until we reach a considerably higher number of subscribers, so we don't have to do it right away. The day will come though, I'm sure.

John

written by: Tenebrous

Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:06:33 +0100 BST

Inevitably!

Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:10:01 +0100 BST

Hi John,

Yeah, the forum I wrote back in the day had about 20 thousand active daily users ... but you'll get there! :-)

Take care,

Geert

Please log in to join the discussions