Forum Archive

Forum

Software: Add regular audio capability to recorder and scheduler

Most Recent

written by: stuwyatt

This should be possible by using Mobius or Sooperlooper as an AU fx plugin, and offer a lot of features with regards to multiple tracks/layers/overdubs as well as tempo and pitch shifting. The only drawback is that you will probably need a separate midi controller to operate the live looping software.

I don't have enough RAM to test this out myself (I'm still using 2GB until I can afford one or two 4GB sticks), but as long as EigenD sends midi controller data to hosted AU plugins, it should be fairly easy to set up.

written by: geert

Sun, 21 Feb 2010 09:25:57 +0000 GMT

Hi,

As it is now, the recorder logically records all the events that you have played. When the recording is played through the scheduler, this plays the same events on the same virtual instrument. Most of the time I use these recordings as traditional looping software, ie. I don't change the tempo or modify it otherwise afterwards. Yet, playing the recording back as events takes up a lot of system resources and really limits the possibilities of the Eigenharp to the processing power of the computer.

I'm wondering if it might not be useful to add an option to record the raw audio that a virtual instrument generates instead of recording the events. This would make it possible to layer a lot more parts without stressing the computer as much and it would allow people with a less powerful computer to use several complex virtual instruments. Of course this would remove the possibility to alter the recorded event after the fact, but I think that for the most common usage this would make the recorder and scheduler much more usable for a lot of people.

What do you think?

Geert

written by: john

Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:44:42 +0000 GMT

Hi Geert

This is a nice idea. It will be easy to set up when we have our recorder agent able to record audio as well as performance data (in fact I think it should be very easy to do so at that point). The recorder agent currently does not stream on and off of hard disk, it stores recordings in memory (and backs them up to disk in the setup manager as a background process). This makes it unsuitable for audio at present. We have a current pending feature ticket to implement this as several Alpha players (some of whom are very well known) now want to be able to record and layer vocals from the onboard microphone without using an external device. I don't think we'll be able to get to this in the next couple of months as we have a very full schedule, but it'll probably get done this year sometime. I'll keep you posted.

John

written by: geert

Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:53:24 +0000 GMT

Thanks for the response John, having looping capabilities for layering vocals built into the Alpha would definitely rock big time! It was actually one of the first applications I thought about when I heard that the Alpha could have a microphone attached to it.

written by: stuwyatt

Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:55:49 +0000 GMT

This should be possible by using Mobius or Sooperlooper as an AU fx plugin, and offer a lot of features with regards to multiple tracks/layers/overdubs as well as tempo and pitch shifting. The only drawback is that you will probably need a separate midi controller to operate the live looping software.

I don't have enough RAM to test this out myself (I'm still using 2GB until I can afford one or two 4GB sticks), but as long as EigenD sends midi controller data to hosted AU plugins, it should be fairly easy to set up.

Please log in to join the discussions