Forum Archive

Forum

General Discussion: Regarding the competition: Drums

Most Recent

written by: karmacomposer

OK. I just used Stylus RMX for drums only. All other tracks were played live with the Pico using custom sound fonts and the built-in clarinet.

Thanks for clearing that up John.

Mike

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:42:48 +0000 GMT

Are we allowed to use external drums? It is not clearly stated.

I use Stylus RMX for all of my groove work and would like to use it for my entry. It is ONLY drums. I will be using the Pico for all other tracks - mostly as a MIDI output device to play my virtual instruments.

I would like to know if this is acceptable before I begin.

Mike

Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:40:35 +0000 GMT

Anyone? I am going to go ahead and just create it and see what happens.

Mike

written by: geert

Mon, 22 Feb 2010 06:32:14 +0000 GMT

I don't see how this would be a problem, they allowed me to sing, Stu to use his additional controllers with an external looper and there's conceptually no real difference between using Stylus RMX and the Pico drum loops, except that Stylus is more powerful. Eigenlabs support should be able to give you an answer today I think, otherwise maybe send them a direct email.

written by: KaylaK

Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:07:58 +0000 GMT

I have a similar query regarding using an external looping device to do something the Pico can't so look forward to the reply!

K x

written by: stuwyatt

Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:12:28 +0000 GMT

I can't obviously speak for Eigenlabs, but Geert is correct in saying that they have OK'd me to use my extended Pico through an external looper for the competition... (with everything is played on the Pico). I personally can't see any problem in using external drum machines or loopers etc.... but I do not work for Eigenlabs....

written by: john

Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:58:20 +0000 GMT

Hi

You're welcome to use whatever you can as part of your Pico performance - there's nothing stopping you playing along with backing tracks, as much Ableton as you can muster or a whole band of other musicians. What the entries will be judged on though is the use and performance of the Pico, so the more mileage, both technically and musically, that you can extract from it the better.

John

Thu, 25 Feb 2010 18:10:58 +0000 GMT

Hi John

Thank you very much for the clarification regarding using other hardware with our entries. I am a little confused by your comment regarding backing tracks as it was my understanding that as per point 10 of the competition rules:

"Pre-recorded audio tracks or backing tracks must not be used. "

If we had been able to use backing tracks for the competition, I would have made some radically different entries, so wondered if this rule had been changed?

Many thanks for your help

Kayla

written by: john

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:29:41 +0000 GMT

Hi Kayla

You are quite correct, please ignore my previous post. I should have read our own rules!

You need to play any takes in as you go, so prerecorded material is not acceptable.

John

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:36:04 +0000 GMT

Phew!

Thanks for that John - that's a big relief :)

Kayla x

Thu, 1 Apr 2010 17:28:34 +0100 BST

OK. I just used Stylus RMX for drums only. All other tracks were played live with the Pico using custom sound fonts and the built-in clarinet.

Thanks for clearing that up John.

Mike

Please log in to join the discussions